Initial Usage Question

piecz
piecz
Community Member

Hi!

I am thinking about trying your software and have a question I would like answered. I am interested in using a password tool to change from using between 3 or 4 common passwords across sites. Can this tool help me change to a secure password on sites and actually recommend one or is the usage more along the lines of I need to change the passwords to something secure on my own on the sites and then register this difficult password with your tool and then never have to worry about remembering it?

Comments

• piecz
    piecz
    Community Member

By the way, I posted here because I was unable to start a new thread in the Mac App Store forum.....

• Hi @piecz,

Welcome!

1Password will let you generate password for each site to your own specification, you can adjust how many characters, digits and symbols to use in a password and it'll then record it for you once you save/fill it. Many sites have their own limits of the password, so it's nice to be able to adjust the password on the fly.

To get an idea of what it looks like, I'd recommend skimming through our extension guide here.

As for the Mac App Store forum issue, can you give me more details, did it give you an error or what happened when you try to create a new topic?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

• piecz
    piecz
    Community Member

it told me that I was not allowed to post in the forum, I was able to ask the question though. I then did check my email after posting the question and saw I had not confirmed my account via the email. If you like, since I am online, I can now try to create a test thread in the same forum and see if it was a registration issue. You can then delete it and will know the answer.

• Yes, please try it and I'll remove the thread once it goes through.

• MikeT
    edited January 2013

It looks like it went through.

I believe we allow it in the Lounge even for unvalidated members to give them a chance to ask questions if there's something that went wrong with the registration. If it causes more confusion, we'll turn it off and force them to confirm the email address before they can post.

• piecz
    piecz
    Community Member
    edited January 2013

So Mike, Say I have a password for gmail and I think it is weak. Can I simply use your software to update it once it knows the initial password? I got it, thanks for the link, and the help!

• Hi,

What you do is first log into Gmail.com with your current credentials and 1Password will prompt to auto-save it. Once you save, read the How To: Update a Login’s password on how to generate the password, change the password for Gmail in your Gmail's Account settings and then manually edit the item to insert the new password.

Hope that helps.

This discussion has been closed.