[solved] A problem occurred when loading encryptionKeys.js

juju12
juju12
Community Member
edited June 2012 in 1Password 4 for Windows
Hi (mm)

First, i love one password and i use it every day since a long time now. Good job !

But i have a problem. I used to use 1PasswordAnywhere on my laptop running under Ubuntu (because unfortunately there is no linux version of your sofware :S ). Usually i access the 1Password.html file and open it directly with firefox or chromium. I worked like a charm !

But suddenly few days ago i have an error when i do this. I obtain :
A problem occurred when loading the "[blablabla]/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file

I tried to access the file from dropbox webinterface, but i obtain :

I tried File>Repair 1Password data but nothing changes.
I tried to change the master password and go back to my original but nothing changes.
I tried with one tree months old backup but i have the same error.

It's really strange !

PS : i have the same error on my laptop under ubuntu and on my desktop under win7. The error is only with 1Password everywhere, the 1Password software on win7 works as usual.

Thanks !
Bye

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thank you so much for your kind words, juju12! Let's get this resolved for you.

Please see our support article which explains how to restore the files via Dropbox:

http://support.agilebits.com/kb/1password-39-for-mac-from-mac-app-store/error-database-backup-failed
  • juju12
    juju12
    Community Member
    Hi,

I tried all the three solutions, doesn't work !

1) I changed my master password but still have the error.
    2) I restored from early backups, up to four month old but still have the error.
    3) I restored '1password.keys' and 'encryptionKeys.js' 2011 versions from dropbox but still have the error.

I don't understand. How it is possible to have an error restoring a march month backup, whereas it worked fine until approximatively one week ago. It means that the backups are not corrupted, but still have the error (sweat)(sweat)
  • juju12
    juju12
    Community Member
    :blink:

Look what i've just found :

With Firefox
    631738firefox.png

With Chrome
    271577chrome.png

With Internet Explorer
    76861179ie.png

If it works with IE and not with Firefox and Chrome it means that my files are not corrupted, right ? So where the bug come from ?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    If you are using Google Chrome (or Firefox now since version 13) you cannot use 1PasswordAnywhere in “local file mode”, i.e. you cannot use a local file URL like file:///Users/dave/1Password.agilekeychain/1Password.html. Accessing 1PasswordAnywhere in this way will fail because Chrome and Firefox will prevent it from loading any of its files. This limitation is because Chrome and Firefox prevent web applications from running in this way.

The easiest way to workaround this is to store your 1Password.agilekeychain file on a web server or service like Dropbox. If you need offline access to 1PasswordAnywhere you will need to use another browser or modify Chrome’s settings by adding the –allow-file-access-from-files command line option.

Please let me know how it goes if you access the `1Password.html` file from the Dropbox website after logging in to your Dropbox account: https://dropbox.com/
  • juju12
    juju12
    Community Member
    Thanks for your reply.

Ok, i get the point for the “local file mode” and the fact that i cannot use local file URL like file:///...
    But as i said in my first post I already tried to access the file from dropbox, so it's not urls with file:/// anymore, but i still have the error !

See the screenshot :
    977730Sanstitre.png
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Very strange. I think I know what the problem is though. The first problem is with local file mode. You have now avoided that issue, but the second issue is that Dropbox has a special way of handling 1Password data for 1PasswordAnywhere, but it only works if you have your data folder named exactly `1Password.agilekeychain`. In your screenshot it is called `OnePassword` without the proper extension.

Rename `OnePassword` to `1Password.agilekeychain` and you shouldn't have any trouble. It's hard to tell for certain that you don't have another subfolder since you blacked out parts of the URL, but the data structure should look like this:

20120614-ew37qmybpsjw1xm7xiiw6ksugd.png
  • juju12
    juju12
    Community Member
    Great, it worked (dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)

"OnePassword" is my parent folder. The folder was called "firstname-lastname.agilekeychain". I renamed it to "1Password.agilekeychain" and it now works like a charm :

198594Sanstitre.png

It would be great to make it work with any text before ".agilekeychain" or at least write a warning that the name MUST be "1Password.agilekeychain" to make 1Password Everywhere work with dropbox...

khad thanks so much for the help !
    Have a nice day.
    Bye.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    There are special hooks that Dropbox has put in place in order for 1PasswordAnywhere to work (since it needs to load each file in the data folder not just the 1Password.html file). I'll see if they can change this, but there may not be any getting around it on their end.

I'm glad everything is working well now, though. That is always good news.

Enjoy your weekend! :D
  • metaxis
    metaxis
    Community Member

Whew. I just spent quite a while trying to track this problem down, because "this help guide" that 1password anywhere refers one to is out of date - it only mentions a "note to Google Chrome users" about the local file permissions problem. As it did not mention firefox 13+ adopting this model too - as you did above, I spent a bunch of extra time second guessing stuff.

My request is that you update the help guide to include the browsers and versions affected, and update 1Password.html to perhaps have a less opaque error.

thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

This has been in the User Guide for a very long time now. From the 1PasswordAnywhere section in the User Guide:

"Starting with version 13, Firefox tightened its security on opening local files. As result, Firefox will no longer load 1PasswordAnywhere from the local file system. You can still access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox website, however."

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers!

• metaxis
    metaxis
    Community Member

Unfortunately, that's not the same help guide where a user is sent by the 1PasswordAnywhere application when the error occurs. Here is the message, quoted and linked:

Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips

That's a live web page for troubleshooting, and as such should have all the troubleshooting info one might need for that particular situation, right? As I was sent to a live web page, there was no reason to second guess that your live documentation would be wrong there but helpfully updated in another place. Even though that page links to the "1PasswordAnywhere feature overview documentation" where that new troubleshooting information is, as someone who doesn't need the feature overview that is not an obvious place to look. It seems pretty clear to me that this is a mistake and that updating the troubleshooting page will obviously improve the experience for everyone.

Sorry for not showing the specific page I was talking about in the first place!

Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your feedback! We'll try to make this clearer in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.