ipad data backup

wintomato
wintomato
Community Member

hi
I had the 1password for my iPad, all working fine, but decided to splash out on the £34 mac app. Once I have set up, I cannot see anyway to move/copy the data on my iPad to my mac. It goes through the syncing process fine, and I can see the file in my dropbox, but my mac app will not use this to 'restore'/import any data into my mac app. So, after investigating the help pages, i see that my version of the ipad app does not have the data backup and restore that are mentioned in the help files. So, how to I get my ipad data to my mac?
thanks for reading
michael

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

The best way to get your data backed up to your Mac (and automatically keep it backed up whenever a change is made) is to set up Dropbox syncing. It sounds like you may be mixing up some sort of backup function with Dropbox syncing which is not a manual process but is automatic once you set it up.

There is a method to backup the data file manually using iTunes File Sharing which is much easier than the old method. It is a simple drag and drop. But you don't really need to use that at all if you have Dropbox syncing set up and working properly.

Can you tell me what path is listed in 1Password's preferences on your Mac? Look on the General pane. Here is my own as an example. In mine the path is:

Users > khad > Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain

• wintomato
    wintomato
    Community Member

Hi Khad
    thanks for the response. the agilekeychain is in the right place in my dropbox folder, as per your location listed above, the problem has been that I can neither import nor restore from the file created by my ipad in the dropbox. I first bought the ipad app, and now want everything on that to copy into my recently purchased mac app. The mac app doesn't want to let me import or restore the 1password.agilekeychain file.
    Am I missing something? thanks for getting back to me
    michael

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Once you have the data file in your Dropbox folder, you don't need to to do anything for it to sync all the data. There is no "import" or "restore". The data just syncs automatically.

Have you followed the steps in the User Guide to complete Dropbox syncing setup? It's pretty straightforward, but you need to enable it on your mobile device as well as on the desktop. You may have already completed some of the steps, but please be sure that you have completed them all.

If you're still having trouble, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

In 1Password 3.8, just select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report from the menu bar.

If you are using 1Password 3.9 (from the Mac App Store), you'll need to follow the instructions here:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/12057/create-a-diagnostics-report-to-help-agilebits-help-you/

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• wintomato
    wintomato
    Community Member

hi khad, thanks very much for the assistance. It seems the dropbox has caught up on itself, and has now updated across both devices, although with duplications, but that's ok.
    thanks a lot for the response.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.