How To: Access the "Open in 1Password" bookmarklet in Chrome for iOS

fdlbt
fdlbt
Community Member
edited February 2013 in iOS

I had tried installing the "Open in 1Password" bookmarklet in Chrome for iOS before but couldn't get it to work and gave up on it. Today I listened to your new 1Password podcast and one of the guys said the bookmarklet works in any browser on iOS, including Chrome. I gave it another try and still no luck. I couldn't find any useful info searching Google either.

Am I missing something here? Am I the only one trying to make this work?

Thanks!.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2013

Thanks for listening, fdlbt! :)

Because Chrome is a Google product, they really want you to search rather than visit URLs directly. Thus, the default action when you are typing to find a bookmarklet is to perform a Google search for the string. You'll need to tap the actual item in the list to access the bookmarklet directly, otherwise Chrome will perform a search if you just press Go (the Return equivalent) on the onscreen keyboard.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• fdlbt
    fdlbt
    Community Member

Hey! That worked! Thanks Khad!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

Enjoy the rest of your week.

• gc916
    gc916
    Community Member

I've tried this several times and still can't get it to work on Chrome, but it works fine on Safari. I believe I'm following the instructions correctly, but if I click on the newly created "Open in 1Password" bookmark, I am taken to a blank page in Chrome, followed by a screen that says "Warning: Something's Not Right Here!"

Any suggestions?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

What is in the URL bar of that error screen? Could you please post a screenshot? Could you also confirm for me exactly what the URL is stored within the bookmarklet? I'd love to help with some more details.

Thanks!

• gc916
    gc916
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

Khad,

Thanks for your reply and offer to help.

When the error screen is displayed in Chrome, the URL is "about:blank."

The URL in the bookmarklet is "javascript:window.location='op'+(window.location.href);"

I have captured the screenshot, but can't figure out how to post it here.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

You can use Skitch to take screenshots and easily upload them for sharing on forums like this one. It's my tool of choice, but there are other image hosting services as well. I'm not sure the screenshot is absolutely necessary, although it could give a clue.

Have you already tried deleting the bookmarklet and creating a new one? I really can't reproduce any trouble in my testing. :/

• gc916
    gc916
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

I have tried deleting the bookmarklet and creating a new one, but get the same result. I'm usually able to figure these things out, but this one has me stumped.

Here's the screenshot. (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s10/sh/bc5a9139-25c8-4c6b-a2ca-7bd528b21d73/dba88a77fd37e9ab89c013d76a8e17a5)

As an aside, I am not receiving notifications of your replies here (all items are selected in Notification Preferences), nor can I access this forum using Tapatalk. Here's what I see when I try to connect:
    (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s10/sh/b4539308-a669-496a-8da7-fca4e30b5dac/09b78a8974771400b3af0be4cf249826)

Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Tapatalk is not supported on this forum at this time, so that explains the second issue you mention.

As for the first, I must say that I am stumped as well. I and many others are using the bookmarklet in Chrome many times a day. I presume you are invoking the bookmarklet while viewing a website and then typing in its title in the omnibox to get it to pop up in the list of suggestions and tapping it there. Can you confirm that for me?

Just for kicks, here is a screenshot of my bookmarklet in Chrome. Let me know if yours looks any different. The important thing is that the URL is exactly:

javascript:window.location='op'+(window.location.href);

What happens if you just manually prepend op to the URL you are viewing? Tap the omnibox while viewing a site and change http to ophttp (with or without the trailing "s" depending on what the site already has there.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Also, I just want to make sure you have tried it on a few different sites. Does it work on any sites? Could you try it on Google, Amazon, and this forum? Same result?

• gc916
    gc916
    Community Member

Thanks to your reply in post #10, I figured it out. I had been viewing a website in Chrome, then going to Bookmarks>Mobile Bookmarks>Open in 1Password. That process generated the error.

As per your suggestion, if I am viewing a website in Chrome, type "Open in 1Password" in the omnibox, and tap on the bookmarklet, the site opens in the 1P browser, as expected. I'm not sure why the process makes a difference, but it obviously does. I don't have the same experience in Safari; if I open bookmarks and tap on the bookmarklet, it invokes the 1P browser.

Regarding the Tapatalk issue, I presumed these forums supported Tapatalk, as described here: discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/3780/agile-forums-is-now-available-through-the-tapatalk-app#latest.

Could you also comment on the fact that I am not receiving notifications of your replies to this thread?

Many thanks for your help and patience.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure why the process makes a difference, but it obviously does. I don't have the same experience in Safari; if I open bookmarks and tap on the bookmarklet, it invokes the 1P browser.

The bookmarklet relies on the URL of the current page you are viewing. When you navigate away from a website and to the bookmarks there is no longer a "current page" to pass to 1Password. The window.location.href in that instance would not be a valid URL. This is just a function of how Chrome displays its bookmarks. Safari displays them, let's say, "on top of" the current page. Chrome displays them, let's say, "in place of" the current page.

Regarding the Tapatalk issue, I presumed these forums supported Tapatalk, as described here: discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/3780/agile-forums-is-now-available-through-the-tapatalk-app#latest.

Apologies for the confusion. That was a very old thread that was migrated over when we recently switched to a hosted Vanilla Forums solution. So that thread was about the old IP.Board forum which did support Tapatalk. I've deleted the thread so others are not confused by it in the future. If/when we are able to add Tapatalk support to this hosted Vanilla Forum, we'll definitely make a new thread to announce it. :)

Could you also comment on the fact that I am not receiving notifications of your replies to this thread?

I will look into it. Sorry I missed that in your post above. Can you start a new thread for this separate issue in the Lounge? I'd love to follow up and also see if anyone else is having similar trouble.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.