Can't migrate data from v.3 to v.4 on iPhone

cara_m
cara_m
Community Member

Apologies if this info is already somewhere else - I have searched....
I've been using version 3 on my iPhone but have just purchased v.4. When starting up v.4 for the first time I chose the option to 'import from previous version' as I only have 1password on my phone, and do not use Dropbox sync. After choosing this option I can't remember precisely what happened, but I opened up version 3, and my list of logins appeared with something else in the search field at the top about importing the data. Nothing else happened after this and I was unsure if I was supposed to do anything?
The import hadn't worked, and now I no longer have the option to import the data in v.4. I tried deleting and re-installing v.4, but it doesn't start 'from scratch'. Any ideas appreciated!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

There are two reasons this could happen:

1. If Dropbox sync is enabled in 1Password 3, the export process doesn’t finish correctly. For now, we recommend that you use Dropbox sync in 1Password 4. Select “I’ve used 1Password before” during setup and then select “Sync using Dropbox”.
    2. If you don’t use Dropbox, try importing again with 1Password 4 and if 1Password 3 fails to export, restart the 1Password 3 app again and it should then attempt to export correctly. In some cases, you may need to restart the 1Password 4 app as well.

Please let me know how it goes.

• cara_m
    cara_m
    Community Member

Hi! - thanks for your reply. I don't think I've explained myself clearly enough.
    Leaving the Dropbox issues aside for a moment, even if I wanted to try importing the data again in v.4, I can't, because it no longer gives me the option to import the data. The first time I opened v.4 it gives those options, but now when I open the app it doesn't 'start from scratch', even though I have tried deleting and re-installing it. So now the import has failed, unless I am missing something, I have 'lost the opportunity' to import the data, unless using Dropbox sync will import the data automatically if that were set up.

Second issue - Dropbox sync. I do have Dropbox and a while ago had attempted to use it with v.3, but then realised that you also need the desktop version of 1password (which I don't have) in order to use it, so it wasn't working. I had inadvertently left it switched on in version 3, which is obviously, as you are suggesting, why the original import attempt to v.4 didn't work.

So, as I understand it, I can't use Dropbox sync unless I also buy the desktop version, which I didn't want to do purely for the purposes of upgrading the iPhone app!

What I need an answer to is:
    How do I get the version 4 app to 'reset' so that it gives the options for importing the data again?

Thanks for your help,
    Cara.

• cara_m
    cara_m
    Community Member

Update: Success! I managed to reset it by clicking 'erase data', and this time the import worked. Thanks for your help.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great news, Cara! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

I should have offered more explicit instructions about starting over from scratch, but I am glad that you were able to find the "Erase Data" button in Settings > Advanced.

As for Dropbox, you do not need 1Password on your desktop computer to use Dropbox in 1Password 4 for iOS. The set up of Dropbox did require 1Password for Mac or Windows in 1Password 3 for iOS, but even that was just for the initial setup. It was possible to just use the free trials we offer to set it up. 1Password 4 does away with that requirement completely. You can simply enable Dropbox syncing in 1Password 4 for iOS and enjoy the convenience from here on out.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.