Suggestion Inactivate password

Peter W
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I guess I am the only dunderhead to have more than one password for a given title. I don't know how that turned out to be the case (I think a different entry to a website can fool 1Password into a request to save a username and password, but eventually for the same URL). Sometimes they really are the same username and password. I know I can just delete a duplicate. However, I sometimes I have an old username and password that are different. I can't just put one into the password history. It is a different username and password for the same URL. If I delete it, it will be gone. I would like to make one inactive so I don't see it any longer, but I could still find it in 1Password in case I really should be using the other one.

Obviously, if I had two identities that I wished to use, no change is needed.

Let me give an example. I have three Bank of America entries. When I log in, the URL of the sending page is: https://sitekey.bankofamerica.com/sas/signonSetup.do
I have three 1Password entries for BOA, two of them have https://bills.bankofamerica.com/wps8106/wps and then one has additional specifications. This latter one seems erroneous to me, but I don't want to just delete it. The other is similar. I had put an asterisks in the one that I use. I don't recall how or why the others are also present, but in this instance, I would like to only see the one that works and hide the others.

I hope is it clear that this BOA entry comes from a web page that did not include the URL of the 1Password entry that was saved. Therefore, for me, when I am asked to save a username and password, I am inclined to agree if this is something I have just succeeded in logging into. If it turns out to be a duplicate, no harm and no foul. However, over time, 1Password is generating a number of entries that I do not recall and am now confused. If the entry to the web page is confusing 1Password, then I can understand that additional usernames and passwords might accumulate.

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Peter W wrote:
    I would like to make one inactive so I don't see it any longer, but I could still find it in 1Password in case I really should be using the other one.

No problem at all. Run 1Password, locate the login you wish to hide, click the Edit button, and change the Display setting to "Never Display in Browser."

I hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.