How to tell extensions to ignore a form field

We have a login form that is time dependent, and we store hash in a hidden field that allows us to check the time a form was generated on the server side. Problem is 1Password saves this out of date form field and repopulates it when we use the extension. If I manually edit the entry for our website that 1Password makes, and remove this field, the extension works fine. What I need is a way to tell 1Password to not save a field.

Is this possible?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

At this time, there is not a way to tell 1Password to ignore a form field. If there was, you can be sure that overzealous bank websites would use it to block 1Password from working. (Remember autocomplete="off"? I shudder at the very thought.)

I guess I'm not sure why you are storing the hash client-side in a form field. It would seem that a more robust solution would be better for all parties involved.

In the meantime, you will need to manually remove the form field if its presence precludes a successful login.

• Benjamin Thomas
    Benjamin Thomas
    Community Member

I can manually remove a form field myself, my users aren't going to do that. Why is 1password remembering hidden fields anyway? Seems like it should just remember the fields that, you know, a user actually fills in...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Apologies for not making it clear in my first reply. I've mentioned this to the developers and will keep you abreast of any new information as it becomes available.

• Hi Benjamin,

How do you hide the field? Are you using type="hidden" or are you using CSS to hide it?

Assuming its type is hidden, 1Password will not save the field in most situations. There is an edge case, however, where all elements that do not belong to a form will be saved regardless of their type. Is it possible your hash field doesn't belong to a form?

If you could share the URL for you site I'd be happy to check it out.

• Benjamin Thomas
    Benjamin Thomas
    Community Member

Wow! Well, you caught a bug in our CMS, it was hidden using css and not with type="hidden". Looks like everything is working now. Keep up the good work over here!

• Yay! Thanks for the update Benjamin, I'm glad everything is working now.

In theory we could analyse the CSS properties of the field to determine if it is visible or not. In practice we've ran into several false-positives so we're currently only relying on the field type.

Take care and please let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.