Dropbox Syncing Unavailable

I'm trying to figure out why I can't enable Dropbox syncing.

Has anyone had any experience with the option being greyed out? I haven't been able to find any documentation.

I'm running OS X 10.7.5 and 1Password 3.9.6.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi atleykins,

There are three reasons that the option to use Dropbox may be disabled:

1. Your data file is already in your Dropbox folder in which case you cannot double-enable what is already enabled. I can see from your screenshot, though, that this is not the case for you.
    2. Your Dropbox folder is not in the default location: the root of your Home folder. The solution is to move your Dropbox folder back to the default location as outlined in our support article for this.
    3. Dropbox is not installed and running. Please make sure Dropbox is installed and running.

Dropbox syncing should then be available as an option.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• atleykins
    atleykins
    Community Member

Thanks for the swift reply.

It's because of no. 2. Unfortunately, I can't change my Dropbox folder back its default location, which I guess means I can't sync because of the sandbox restrictions.

:(

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

1Password 3.9 adheres to Apple's sandboxing guidelines which require explicit permission to access files and folders on your disk. 1Password 3.9 has permission to access this exact location:

~/Dropbox

If your Dropbox folder is not located there, 1Password simply cannot access it. At the moment, 1Password 3.9 is only allowed to access the default location of Dropbox. We're working on an update to allow you to grant explicit permission to 1Password to access your Dropbox folder elsewhere, but I don't have a timeframe on this.

If you need a temporary workaround, you can use 1Password 3.8 which does not adhere to Apple's sandboxing guidelines and can thus access your data file from anywhere on your disk regardless of where your Dropbox folder is located.

Since you already purchased 1Password on the Mac App Store, just email us your Mac App Store receipt. We'll send you a license key for 1Password 3.8.

support@ agilebits .com

You can download 1Password 3.8 from our website:

http://agilebits.com/downloads

Aside from sandboxing, there are not really any substantial differences. Most users never run into this problem as they use the default Dropbox folder location, but in your case "sidegrading" to 3.8 is an option. It is not a downgrade. 1Password 3.8 and 3.9 have been developed in tandem and only have different version numbers for technical reasons.

• atleykins
    atleykins
    Community Member

Thanks, khad.

I'm eager to know which will come first, 1Password being updated to access to my Dropbox folder or iCloud desktop syncing.

I guess we'll see!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We will indeed. :)

I can't say much more or give a time frame, but there is a chance that their introductions will coincide. ;)

This discussion has been closed.