FYI: Must reinstall browser extensions to recognize new master password.

Not so much a question but an FYI...

I am on 3 machines: Mac laptop and iMac running Snow Leopard, 10.6.8 and an older G5 desktop running Leopard. I have the the most recent browsers for the machines and OSs. I recently changed my master password on one of my machines from the 1Password application, v 3.8.20 (build 31499).

On every machine and every browser, I run all 3: Safari, Chrome and Firefox, when I am ready to use the 1Password extension it will not work, telling me the master password has been changed. I use Dropbox to hold my 1Password master file and my assumption or vague memory from past was that this information would be transmitted to each of the machines and their browser extensions.

What I have been forced to do is reinstall the extension, the moment I complete that process the extension works perfectly. So the information is being transmitted but just not to a previously installed extension.

If you have time to explain this, great, if not then let this be a guide to someone else having the same issue and to let them know there is a relatively easy fix.

Thanks

By the way, thanks for the tip on reinstalling the extension via drag & drop on Chrome, what's up with those guys? I hope you are aware that when you go through their 'store' and search for 1Password they direct you to 4 other products, one with a name close enough to be a trademark issue.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The sandboxed browser extensions have their own encrypted data store. They authenticate with the main application via the Helper. The browser extensions do need to be reinstalled after a Master Password change. The procedure is pretty simple in Safari and Chrome, but Firefox is a rascally red panda.

Other browsers handle the removal of the SQLite file automatically when you remove the extension, but you will need to do this manually for Firefox. To completely remove and reinstall the Firefox extension:

1. In Firefox, select Tools > Add-ons from the menu bar.
    2. Click the Remove button to remove the 1Password extension.
    3. Quit Firefox.
    4. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder from the menu bar.
    5. Copy and paste the following path and press Return:

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles

6. Move the OnePassword.sqlite file you see there to the desktop.

Then reinstall the 1Password extension in Firefox:

https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html

Once everything is working well, you can safely move the OnePassword.sqlite file on the desktop to the trash.

Just as an FYI to your FYI for others who may come across this in the future:

You should only change your Master Password if it is weak and needs to be made stronger or if it is also used for something else. Your 1Password Master Password isn’t like a typical Login password, and so security advice that tells people to change passwords regularly does not apply to things like your 1Password Master Password.

In technical terms your 1Password Master Password is an encryption password instead of an authentication password; the advice used for one does not apply to the other. Once you have a strong, memorable, and unique Master Password you should not change it. A good Master Password should be for life.

This discussion has been closed.