Feature request: hidden notes within Login entry

For a particular login entry in Logins one can add notes. In some instances it makes sense for these notes to be hidden. For example, when creating an account for a web service, one may add answers to the security questions as a note, and when opening that particular login entry in 1P, these notes are displayed to anyone looking at the screen (as opposed to the password, which is not shown by default).

Thus my feature request -- it would be nice to have an option allowing these notes to be either hidden or somehow masked. I am aware of Secure Notes, but it makes sense to keep everything related to a particular account in one place -- the entry for that login, and not split it.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

This is a version 4 feature. It is already available in 1Password 4 for iOS and will be available in 1Password 4 for Mac when it is released. :)

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member

I don't see it in 1P 4 (v 4.1.2) for iOS. When I go to a particular login, I see things like "username", "password" (masked), "website" and "notes" that display the notes in clear text. Didn't see an option to enable this either. Am I missing something?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The default fields cannot be modified in this way, but custom fields can be concealed. Just choose the type "password". You can change the title of the field to whatever you like.

Let me know how it goes.

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member

Ok, I see, but this is not what I meant as I don't want to create new fields. In my mind, these fields (username, password, etc) fields should be things that are directly connected to input on the Login page. Whereas Notes are just my notes about the Login (e.g. security questions, but not in the context of login infor, but in terms of password retrieval/reset questions that some sites require and that are not used for typical login procedure; or notes such as "click on the green button" or "do this and this after login"); and these are the notes (especially security questions) that I would like to be able to mask. I see how your suggestion could work, but it is putting secondary information where it should not be.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

What about the custom concealed field is different than a concealed Notes field? You can call the field "Notes" if it helps. ;)

• lpn
    lpn
    Community Member

Often the Notes content is larger than a password, so if it is in password-like field, after unmasking one has to scroll in a small one-line window to read the whole content. Example" fitting the content of a security question in a field that is 20 or so symbols. Sure, one could copy and paste the content elsewhere but it is less convenient.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

So you just mean line breaks?

I just set the field title to the security question and the field value to the answer. I've never needed a line break so far, but I could see that being useful. I know there has been talk of allowing concealment of arbitrary fields. I'll pass your vote along for this.

Thanks for your feedback!

• bthelen
    bthelen
    Community Member

I have the same feature request. I don't want the possibility of my security questions or whatever I have in Notes being shoulder-surfed. Can't you just stick a Show/Hide button on the Notes field??? My workaround is to put the note into a separate text file which I then drop into the Attachments area. Then I secure erase the original note. This works for information I don't need every day, but would be lame otherwise.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up on this, bthelen! I'll pass your feedback along to the developers as well. Much appreciated! :)

This discussion has been closed.