1Password Safari Extension Not Accessible with Voiceover

devbanana
devbanana
Community Member

Hello,

I'm a blind user on the Mac using VoiceOver. Im using a trial of 1Password. I installed the Safari extension as well, but it is not very accessible.

There are many examples. The tabs are not labeled so VoiceOver cannot read them. I realized through trial and error that the first is logins, the fourth is password generation, etc. Also, when I double tap them, or press control-option-space on them to select one, it doesn't work. I'm able to manually select them by the VoiceOver way of clicking the mouse, but it is pretty cumbersome.

It's also not accessible to expand the details for a login, or to show the copy button for a password.

Also, when I wan tot generate a password, when I click on the fourth tab with the method referred to above, and click “fill,” the Web page actually disappears, replaced by the 1Password dialogue. I cannot press escape to get out, or anything else but to close the window and go back to the page I was located.

I've tried with both the most recent stable version, as well as the recent beta.

I'm strongly thinking of purchasing 1Password, but if my concerns about the accessibility of the extension would be taken seriously, it'd be all the more reason to use it and to suggest it to others.

Comments

• Welcome to the forums devbanana! I'm glad you could join us :)

You're absolutely right, the browser extension is not very accessible at this time. There are several reasons for this but the long story made short is we are not happy about this and hope to make things better in the future.

We have a much better accessibility story on the iOS side of the world. In 1Password 4 for iOS we had technologies available that were much more accessible and we also included several blind users in beta testing to make sure things were accessible on day one.

We have some exciting changes planned in future versions, including proper accessibility. I look forward to answering your question with a different answer in the future :)

This discussion has been closed.