Password Generator in iOS and new version

Maggie
Maggie
Community Member

It appears that 1P v. 4 was released for iOS some time ago and I am still using v. 3.7.2 on my iPhone and iPad. Did I miss the announcement of v. 4?

Not having a password generator in the iOS version has always bothered me; when I finally found the FAQ for the iOS version, it talks about this generator -- so either I have been a moron for the past three years, or the generator is new to v. 4.

I have two versions of 1P. I'm not sure how that happened. One is called 1Password for iPhone (which I think is on my phone) and the other is called 1Password Pro (which I think is on my iPad). I think I paid for both of them. With 1Password 4, is there one version that takes advantages of the different form factors of the two and what is its exact name in the app store. I'd like to avoid buying two things if it's not necessary.

Also, with the versions of 1P I have now, it doesn't seem possible to paste into the password field. Sometimes I generate a password by hand (since I can't find a password generator in 1P) in Notes and then I want to paste it into 1P, but it won't let me; since it's not possible to look at Notes and 1P at the same time, I usually end up having to do a lost password thing when I get home, as I don't want an unprotected password hanging around on my device. Am I missing something, or have you disabled the paste capability to protect me from myself? This is a serious inconvenience! Is this changed in v. 4?

The paste problem won't prevent me from buying v. 4, but it is really important to me that you turn it on.

Thanks.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It appears that 1P v. 4 was released for iOS some time ago and I am still using v. 3.7.2 on my iPhone and iPad. Did I miss the announcement of v. 4?

We announced version 4 via our [opt-in] email newsletter, our blog, on Twitter, on Facebook, and here in the forum. I'm sorry you missed the news, but I'm glad you are aware of it now. :)

Not having a password generator in the iOS version has always bothered me; when I finally found the FAQ for the iOS version, it talks about this generator -- so either I have been a moron for the past three years, or the generator is new to v. 4.

It was possible to generate a password in version 3, but only on the iPhone and it was a separate item. Password generation is much improved in version 4. The password generator is available on every password field now.

I have two versions of 1P. I'm not sure how that happened. One is called 1Password for iPhone (which I think is on my phone) and the other is called 1Password Pro (which I think is on my iPad). I think I paid for both of them. With 1Password 4, is there one version that takes advantages of the different form factors of the two and what is its exact name in the app store. I'd like to avoid buying two things if it's not necessary.

There were actually three versions of 1Password 3 for iOS:

• 1Password for iPhone (designed for iPhone and iPod touch but will also run upscaled on iPad like all iPhone apps)
    • 1Password for iPad (designed for iPad)
    • 1Password Pro (combined both of the other apps into a single universal purchase like a boxed set)

This was done only because iPad simply didn't exist when 1Password for iPhone was released. Initially it seemed that having a separate iPad app was the way to go, but many users wanted a universal app. We've simplified everything in version 4 with a single universal app:

1Password 4 for iOS (App Store link)

The paste problem won't prevent me from buying v. 4, but it is really important to me that you turn it on.

I'm not aware of any issue with pasting in any version of 1Password. I just tested this and it works fine in version 4 for sure, but it shouldn't be an issue since you can generate the password right in the password field. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

• Maggie
    Maggie
    Community Member

I am going delete v. 3 from both devices and then install v. 4 on both devices in a moment. However, I have never been able to paste a password into either of the v. 3 apps. There are reasons why I'd want to do it even though password generation is now a feature.

One feature I'd like to see is the ability to duplicate an entry in the iOS apps. While I have never needed to do it in the OS X application, there is generally more call for this when all I have handy is my iPhone. It's something I occasionally need to do several times a day.

Thanks for your help.

• Maggie
    Maggie
    Community Member

Ok, I've got v.4 on my iPad and I don't like the layout, all the many, many icons going across the top. I'd like it laid out the way I have it on my Mac. Long, narrow columns listing logins down the left, with a wider column on the right listing the details for the current item. I don't see an option for this in "display" settings.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Try turning your iPad into landscape mode.

This discussion has been closed.