Trouble with creditcards.citi.com and accountonline.com Logins

diitto
diitto
Community Member
Hi... I've run into this problem before but I don't recall how to fix the issue... Over the recent days, citicards has changed their website such that my autologins no longer work. The password gets pasted in ok but the user id field remains blank. Anyway, I decided to create a new login. I first went into the 1Password extension on Safari for the Mac (the browser I use) and checked the "Ask to save new logins" preference. I've also discovered in the past that in order for this tool to think this is a "new" login, I have to drag the original login (the one that's not working right anymore) to the 1Password trash... So I did that.. Then I go to the login website and manually enter both the username and password... I then click enter and wait for the toolbar to popup asking me if I want to save this login... But it never happens... I even went so far as to go into the Safari -- View pulldown and select "Show 1Password Autosave Bar"... That opens the 1Password Autosave toolbar and it says, "Nothing to save right now. This toolbar will automatically show and hide itself when needed"... Then, with this sitting there and open, I again manually entered the username and password for the citibank site, clicked enter and watched... Nothing happened... I then came here, to the Agilebits forum and logged in... THAT prompted that bar to change and ask me if I wanted to save THAT Agilebits login... Hmmmm... So it's got something to do with not being able to recognize that the citibank login is new????

By the way, I did go check the "never for this website" list within 1Password and there are 6 listings there, all of which are there by my choice and non of which say anything related to citicards... So it's not that...

Thoughts??? thanks... bob...

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2012
    Sorry you're having some trouble, Bob. What the URL of the Login page you are using? I have a Citi Login myself and the same one I've been using for a long time is still working.

Some sites simply do things which block autosave. The simplest solution (if the problem is only on a specific site) is often to just manually save a new Login using the "+" button in the extension.

1. Enter your credentials on the website's login page, but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    3. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    4. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Using the above technique I was able to save and fill a sample login at:

https://creditcards.citi.com

Manually saving a login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Doing this allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know.
  • diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Just over this past weekend Citi had their website down for six hours that turned out to last nearly three days. They were doing some sort of "upgrade"... Prior to that two different citi logins I use at two different (but similar) sites worked just fine... And now, neither of them works correctly... One of those URL's is precisely what you pasted above,

https://creditcards.citi.com/

Now, when I use 1Password to enter the URL and credentials for the above site and one other, it opens the page ok and enters the password (only) but leaves the user id blank.

As a followup I just did precisely what you described in your 4 step procedure above... I'm not sure when you actually enter and then save your userid and password but I did the following...

I went to the URL, entered the userid, then entered the password (all manually), then I went into 1Password and clicked the + and then the Save button to save that login... The problem is that the moment I enter the userid, city is changing what shows to be the first two characters and the last two characters with all the characters in between being shown as *****... What I've discovered is that's ok as long as you go ahead and manually click ENTER and to on into the website... But if you also saved that login in 1Password, the saved userid is not the correct userid but is instead the correct first and last two characters but with literally asterisks (****) in between... So when I tried the manual 1Password login I just created, it failed because the userid is wrong... But I now just went into the new, saved login, edited the userid from the one containing **** for the characters in between the first and last two, changed it to what it is supposed to be and now the login works ok...

So my original 1Password login that I saved and used before city did their upgrades still doesn't work for reasons unknown... It looks just like the new one I just manually made but the new one works and the old one does not as the old one will not enter anything for the userid even though there clearly is one in my 1Password login (old)... Autosave does not work on this site at all and as you suggested, perhaps citi has done something to block that... And making a manual 1Password login does work but only after I go and edit what 1Password saves as the userid which is to actually save what it displays which is the user id with *** for all the characters in between the first and last two... When I edit that to the correct values, the new login works fine again...

thanks for your help... bob...
  • diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    As a quick followup, now I've successfully manually made two logins that work, one for each of my two different citibank sites... Just as a note, in 1Password, where the old userid was saved with a Title for the field (down in the "All Fields" section of the login) of just

USERNAME

now in the new login I just manually made, 1Password now calls that field (it's Title),

USERNAME-citiTextBlur

So it's this deal where citi is blurring, with the use of asterisks, the filled in userid field the moment you leave that box and click anywhere else... Blurring it even to the point where if you manually save the login, it will save it with the blurred version rather than the real version... So you have to go in afterward and manually edit the userid field in the saved 1Password login... Then it all works ok...

thanks... bob...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for following up. I did leave out an important step which is not normally necessary but peculiar to sites like Citi which obfuscate the field names client-side. Before saving the Login item, you'll need to type in your actual username as shown:

20121017-cdfbxxyy6ndi3bfdu3cc6q25bf.png

That should be part of step 3 in my post above. (Or edit it after the fact as you have done.)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. Cheers!
  • diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Thanks Khad... I appreciate the help... And I genuinely appreciate appreciate 1Password and all the work you guys have done to make it such powerful and useful utility... thanks... bob...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I will be sure to pass your kind words along to the rest of the team. Enjoy the rest of your week. :D
  • SuperKirby
    SuperKirby
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

Darn, I did exactly what you did. I manually typed in everything just to be safe: website name, username, password. Still no cigar. Any suggestions? I used https://creditcards.citi.com just like both of you. Does it matter if I need to click on "Take me to" and select a particular tab? Do I check the "Remember my User ID" box? Thanks for the help everyone.

Update: It ONLY works if "Auto Submit" is off. I have to fill it in with 1password, then manually click to sign on. The auto submit option doesn't work. Anyone know how to make the auto submit work?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I can't reproduce any trouble on either of the Citi login pages:

https://creditcards.citi.com

https://www.accountonline.com/cards/svc/OutsideView.do?forward=PreRegister&siteId=CB

Manually save a Login using the + button in the upper right corner of the extension, but be sure to edit the username since both login pages perform client-side obfuscation of your username. Autosubmit is working in all my testing. Are you having the same issue on both URLs?

• ThomasP
    ThomasP
    Community Member

I've been having the same issues with Citibank logins. I also tried the fix suggested by Khad, but it will only work for me if I also turn off Auto Submit. Not a huge deal to have to hit the login button, but not sure why it won't work automatically.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Very strange. Can you confirm for me that you are using version 3.9.11 or later of the extension? Autosubmit is working well on both URLs for me. Are you having trouble on both URLs or just one of them?

• icab
    icab
    Community Member

khad, thanks for posting the workaround for us to save these Citi logins and overcome the client-side hiding of the username (post from 17 October 2012 - 12:50 AM). It's working well for me after your suggestion.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. It is my pleasure to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.