1PasswordAnywhere and Local File Restrictions in Safari

khad
khad
1Password Alumni
edited April 2013 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1PasswordAnywhere: 1Password.html file not written to Dropbox.

Comments

• Bruce
    Bruce
    Community Member

Hello khad

I've run into a similar problem of not being able to use 1passwordanywhere on my new rMacBookPro - its fine on 'old faithfull', a 17" MBP from 2007 - both units are running the same versions of 1PW 3.9.6., the 17" does have the Server App installed which the rMBP does not.

The error I get is the 'key data file could not be located'... specifically when I click on the key data file link, I'm shown the content of the 'encryptionKeys.js'

but on review the file is there - how else would it load on my other Mac? I've checked and rechecked the permissions, tried copying the data locally to the rMBP with the same result...

1PW and Dropbox are all working fine on my IOS Devices theres just the odd niggle??/

any ideas greatly appreciated :)

Bruce

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2013

Hi Bruce!

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. I split your post from the other thread since it is a completely different issue. If you are seeing that message then that means you do, in fact, have 1Password.html inside 1Password.agilekeychain. The issue in the other thread would mean that 1Password.html didn't exist.

It sounds like you might be trying to open 1PasswordAnywhere via your local file system.

Please try accessing 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox website like this:

1. Log into the Dropbox website: https://dropbox.com
    2. Open the 1Password.html file inside 1Password.agilekeychain.
    3. Enter your master password to unlock 1PasswordAnywhere.

If you're still having trouble, can you tell me exactly which browser you are using and what the URL is that is shown in the address bar?

• Bruce
    Bruce
    Community Member

Khad

Thanks for the reply - of course thats what I was doing!!

My confusion was caused how I was using my 'old' 17" MBP, where in my normal operation I would open the .agliekeychain and then the .html from the user/filesystem dropbox folder, strangely it would open fine.

Attempting the same thing from the rMBP causes the - file cannot be found error... any thoughts on how or why this would be possible?

Both units are running 10.8.4, latest Beta, though my issue pre-existed 10.8.4, the 17" had been running many previous versions on 1PW, the rMBP has only ever run 3.9.x from the AppStore - though before posting I tried the 'regular' version too without any resolution

thanks again
    Bruce

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Recent versions of Safari introduced "Local File Restrictions" for security reasons. You can get around this by selecting Develop > Disable Local File Restrictions from the menu bar. (You will need to enable the Develop menu first if you haven't already. This is done by checking the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar" on the Advanced pane in Safari's preference.)

Or just avoid the issue altogether by access 1PasswordAnywhere via Dropbox's website. :)

It sounds like things are working well now. Can you confirm this? I just want to make sure.

Cheers!

• Bruce
    Bruce
    Community Member

Khad

Yes, thank you - all working now. :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• Bruce
    Bruce
    Community Member

Khad

Just 'on more thing' as someone once said at the end of his keynotes... the local file extensions were not disabled on my 'old' 17" unit - yet 1PW Anywhre functioned from the DropBox Filesystem in my user folder - weird

best
    B

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure how that would be possible unless you were running an old version of Safari on that machine — a version prior to the Local File Restrictions being introduced. Regardless, I'm glad things are working for you. :)

• Bruce
    Bruce
    Community Member

No its running the last but one 10.8.4 beta, after last nights further release - nothing to worry about - just a curiosity

thanks again

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Very strange. Let's not rock the boat. It's working and that's what matters. :D

This discussion has been closed.