Family pack upgrade question

I just bought 1Password for iPhone (via App store on my iPhone) for $19 and 1Password for OS/X (via Mac App Store) for $50.

My wife saw me using the app and loves it.

Can I "upgrade" to a family pack rather than having to spend another $50 for another Mac version for her Macbook?

I don't mind paying for great software, but I would like to use the best deal available.

Thanks!

PS - When is 1Password 4 for the Mac coming out? It's frustrating to have the new categories/fields I created for records on my iPhone not show on sync'd Mac version. :)

Comments

• bswins
    edited April 2013

Hello omaca,

Thank you for your recent purchases of 1Password!

Apple does not differentiate between Single and Family licenses, so there is no way to upgrade you to a "family pack", per se. However, there are options for getting your wife up and running without having to purchase another $50 copy of 1Password for Mac. :)

In the event that you, or others reading this thread, were not aware, Mac App Store licensing works very similar to iTunes licensing. Purchases are tied to your Apple ID. You can install 1Password on all of the computers you personally own and have tied to your Apple ID.

Consequently, if your wife uses the same Apple ID on her MacBook that you used when you purchased 1Password for Mac, you need only launch the Mac App Store, select the "Purchased" tab at the top, and then select the "Install" button next to 1Password.

However, if you and your wife use different Apple IDs, please contact AgileBits Support, support@agilebits.com, for additional options. In your message, please include the following information:

1. The OS X your wife is running on her MacBook
    2. A copy of the receipt from your purchase of 1Password for Mac via the Mac App Store
    3. The link to this thread: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/12773/family-pack-upgrade-question

I am confident that you will receive the best deal available. :)

Best wishes,

Brandt

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The licensing terms of the App Store are very similar to our Family License. From Macworld's Mac App Store FAQ:

"You can install apps bought from the Mac App Store on any and every Mac that you personally own and use."

"Apps don't check to see if you've using an iTunes-authorized Mac. They can ask you to verify your Apple ID and password, but that's a single check and it's just to verify you are who you say you are. Once your identity is verified, that's it. There's no authorizing or deauthorizing or counting of different Macs."

"Apps are purchased for and owned by a user linked to a single Apple ID. But if you log in with that ID on all the Macs in your household, you can download and install your apps on each one."

http://www.macworld.com/article/156962/2011/01/mac_app_store_faq.html

You should be all set already. :)

PS - When is 1Password 4 for the Mac coming out? It's frustrating to have the new categories/fields I created for records on my iPhone not show on sync'd Mac version.

We don't normally pre-announce release dates as too many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. Please stay tuned. ;)

This discussion has been closed.