Double entries, understanding Generated Password items

PWChinook
PWChinook
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I just noticed I have a number of duplicate login entries. For example, I have one for Gunbroker.com that has all the correct information for a login and another with the same title but the 2nd one has a key picture associated with the title and has a p/w but no user name. Also, when I "click" on the first entry, the card showing has a blue top whilst the 2nd one has an all gray card.

Can I safely delete the extra "gray" ones? How did they get generated?

Thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Good question! At least one of those items is a Generated Password item. Generated Password items are a safety net.

A Generated Password item is created each time you click the "Save" button in the generator (within the app) or the "Fill" button within the generator in the browser extension. They do no harm in the Generated Passwords section, and you can delete them if you wish. The Generated Passwords section is intended to be a safety net, though, so we recommend leaving it intact. You can toggle its display in the sidebar if you wish (Preferences > General > Display in Sidebar > Generated Passwords). It is completely separate from your Logins which are the main items used for logging in via the mobile apps' built-in browser and the browser extensions on your desktop.

If anyone knows about an abundance of generated passwords cluttering up a data file, you can be sure that we at AgileBits do (with all the testing we constantly perform)! There are too many to worry about. I treat it like my Gmail archive. I never look at it, but I can search it if I ever need to. And I have certainly needed to once or twice after I thought I had saved a login but hadn't. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I hope that helps explain the situation a bit better. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

Let me make sure I understand... I'm talking about multiple login ID files. I understand about the use of Generated Passwords. Are you saying that every time I use the generator, I get another login ID file? Even though I already have a file for that login ID?

I'm happy to delete extra login ID files (and keep the Generated Password section alone); I just don't want to delete something that might be needed.

So, just to be clear (I'm the guy who likes to pick up a hammer and start pounding), redundant login ID files can be deleted safely?

On the good side, I'm starting to become very comfortable with 1PW and aside from Excel, it's become my most used software :-)

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

One more question, why do the login IDs created by the PW generator have a gray title bar instead of a colored one like the ones I created?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2013

The password generator doesn't create Login items. It creates Generated Password items. Generated Password items are visible in the Generated Password section in the sidebar.

Generated Password items have a different color title bar to help differentiate them from Login items.

I wouldn't delete anything unless you know what you are deleting. You can move items that you think you won't need to a folder before moving them to the trash. ;)

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

Thanks and sorry to belabor this so much. We can completely disregard generated PWs; I no longer have any questions about them. I still have questions about why I have so many duplicate LOGIN IDs for the same site (such as for GunBroker.com). In come cases, the duplicate Login IDs have "www." in front of the site address whilst none of the Login IDs I "intentionally created" have this prefix.

And again, why do the duplicate Login IDs have a gray title bar whilst the Login IDs I "intentionally created" have a blue title bar?

Somehow, I'm creating these duplicates without intending to and I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong...

I did delete the duplicate Login IDs which moved them to Trash but I've left them in Trash for now.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hm. 1Password will never save a Login item without your explicit command, but if it seems to be happening with a specific URL pay attention to if you are seeing an autosave prompt on that site when you log in and if you are clicking the "Save" button in the autosave prompt rather than dismissing it.

This discussion has been closed.