How are Dropbox syncing conflicts resolved?

Options
BiomedEngineer
BiomedEngineer
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I use Dropbox extensively and I notice sometimes even simple things can confuse Dropbox. It would create 2 files because it wants to take the cautious, but potentially confusing and annoying, approach. So that got me wondering how 1P is handling potential sync conflicts, as I haven't seen any duplicate files yet or any warnings yet. While that makes it easy for me as a user to not be confronted by sync issues, I have a slightly worry that maybe some login entries are being deleted by mistake. On the other hand, maybe conflicting sync files are being saved, and potentially bringing bloat to the 1P database. Or has Agile obtained the holy grail of syncing, in which case I worry the entire team will cash out and retire on their newly purchased islands and leave us users stranded at v3.9 :)

Anywho, I would appreciate some explanations for how syncing conflicts are handled and best practices for avoiding conflicts.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2013
    Options

Or has Agile obtained the holy grail of syncing, in which case I worry the entire team will cash out and retire on their newly purchased islands and leave us users stranded at v3.9

Haha! We're not purchasing any islands in the near future, but sync conflicts are handled based on time and date. Conflicts will almost never occur as long as you have a network connection since Dropbox syncs so quickly. You would have to try to create a conflict by editing the same item at the exact same time on two machines. It can be tricky to do even when you are trying to do it. (Trust us. We do a lot of testing. LOL)

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you still have more questions.

• BiomedEngineer
    BiomedEngineer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Khad. I have a wifi only iPad. Should I avoid making changes to my 1P database if I'm not connected? Or conflicts are so rare that it shouldn't matter?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It shouldn't be an issue, but please do let us know if you run into any problems. It can be hard to address theoretical ones. The real ones are usually much easier to track down. :D

This discussion has been closed.