Logging in to websites that use pop-ups

I have a problem getting 1PW to work with websites that use a pop-up window to enter the username and password.
If I open the website and interrogate the properties of the button that opens the pop-up, and enter these into 1PW, it doesn't work.
I've also tried using the Select/Radio/Button options available in the 1PW log-in properties dialogue box but these don't seem to work either.

Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated .....

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Are you referring to HTTP auth prompts or something else? What is the URL so we can take a look and help you out?

Thanks! :)

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

Hello khad,

I'm referring to websites where at the login page, you have to select a or button and, that button initialises a pop-up for entering your username & password. When the pop-up appears, it doesn't necessarily change the URL. It's these pop-up fields that won't populate when using 1PW.

Try www.arsenal.com as an example. In fact as another illustration, the same methodology is used to login to this web forum.

For info, I'm using Win7 SP1 with IE10.

Thanks in advance ...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Okay, so not the modal dialog box of an HTTP auth prompt which is what some people mean when they say "pop-up". Thanks for providing that link so I could see what you mean. :)

The direct link for this forum is:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin

There is no button to click or popup on the actual login page. Just save a new Login item at that URL. It should work there or on any CSS overlay (i.e. "popup") just as well. It it works just fine in all our testing. As you might imagine, I log in to this forum very frequently. ;)

The problem with the Arsenal site isn't that it is a CSS overlay. It works just fine if you click to show the login fields and then use 1Password to fill them. Unfortunately, 1Password doesn't "fill" radio buttons, so you will need to select the radio button manually if the default is not the one you wish to have selected. I'll mention this to the developers to improve this in the future, but I can't give a time frame.

If you're still having trouble with filling the username and password fields on the page — either of them — please do be sure to save a new Login item using the extension like this:

1. Visit the site's login page (and click whatever you need to on the page to reveal the login fields).
    2. Enter your credentials, but DO NOT submit the form.
    3. Click the 1Password button in Internet Explorer's toolbar, and select the "Save Login" button on the Logins tab.
    4. Change the title if desired.
    5. Click the Save button.

Using the above technique I was able to save and fill a sample login at:

http://www.arsenal.com/home

Manually saving a new Login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Saving a new Login item allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• Swivel_Eyes
    Swivel_Eyes
    Community Member

Khad,

I've used your methodology above to get the login working. Thanks for your response.

Just to clarify things, by using " ...../entry/signin " at the end of the URL for this discussion forum, are you suggesting that I could use this trick for configuring my entries for other websites ?

Regards

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I've used your methodology above to get the login working. Thanks for your response.

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

Just to clarify things, by using " ...../entry/signin " at the end of the URL for this discussion forum, are you suggesting that I could use this trick for configuring my entries for other websites ?

Not specifically, no. That just happens to be the URL of the login page for this site. Every site can be different.

Please let me know if you come across anything else that I can help with.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.