Go & Fill not working from main 1Password application

MHUNTE
MHUNTE
Community Member
edited May 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi,

I am using 1P Version 3.8.21 (build 32009).

I normally use the 1P extension in Safari. But today went to use the App itself and click on the website button to be taken there and logged in. But when the page opened the Extension popover showed up prompting me to login. I do not remember this behaviour. So disabled the Extension. And tried again.
The page opens and Nothing. No Auto fill and no Auto login.

Does anyone have any Idea whats going on. I am sure I could just click the website button and be taken to the site, auto fill and login. Not forced to login twice to 1P. ( First in the app and secondly in the Extension. ) hence the Name 1Password and not 1PasswordTwice. :-)

Comments

• HI @MHUNTE,

The extension is the one doing the auto-filling/auto-saving in the web browsers. So, by disabling the extension, you're disabling the entire 1Password support in the browser.

The main 1Password app itself does not send any of the data when you ask it to open the site and fill in. What is happening is that 1Password opens a URL with a special ID at the end, which then causes the OS X to open the default browser with that URL. When the 1Password extension sees the incoming URL, it sees the ID at the end, and uses that ID to find the data in its database and proceed with filling it in.

Now, generally, when both the extension and the 1Password app is in sync with Universal Unlock feature turned on, both of them would be unlocked at the same time. So, you wouldn't see the master password prompt because it should've been unlocked in the first place.

What that suggests is that the extension and the main 1Password app are not communicating with each other, that's where we need to fix it.

To help us figure out the issue more quickly, could you email us your 1Password's Diagnostics Report from your Mac? To generate the report, please download our troubleshooting utility by clicking on this link:

http://cdn.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac/util/1Password Troubleshooting.zip

Once the file is saved, double-click on it to unzip it and then open the extracted file. In the “Diagnostics Report” tab section, click on the "Create Report" button and within a few seconds, a blue file icon should appear, which means it's ready for your use. Press the "Export" button to save the report to your drive and then attach that file to an email to be sent to us at support@agilebits.com

Please do not attach the file here, only send it to our email address.

Thanks!

• MHUNTE
    MHUNTE
    Community Member

Hi it seems to be working again??. I did not change anything. I did notice in he report that it said "The 1Password Helper background process is not set for automatic starting. This will prevent access to keyboard shortcuts, Universal Unlock and data syncing of items between 1Password and the browsers. Please choose the 1Password > Preferences > Extensions pane and enable the checkbox for 'Keep helper running ...'."

In safari it is already checked and was at the time of running the report. I do notice sometime that the 1P icon in the Safari toolbar has a red badge. Which has reported a problem. Where I quit safari, open the 1P app and login and the launch Safari again. Which has in the past cleared the badge. But as I said I do not normal try from the App. And I do not remember the red badge being there when I posted this post.

by the way. I know sending you the report will possibly help you spot something. But I am not comfortable send that amount of information about my system out. If the is any particular bit of info you would want can you please specify and I will look at it and then send it to you. I understand this approach may no be helpful but one of the reasons I got 1P in the first place is because I am probably over paranoid. :-)

Many thanks.
    Mark

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi it seems to be working again…

Great news. :)

I did not change anything. I did notice in he report that it said "The 1Password Helper background process is not set for automatic starting. This will prevent access to keyboard shortcuts, Universal Unlock and data syncing of items between 1Password and the browsers. Please choose the 1Password > Preferences > Extensions pane and enable the checkbox for 'Keep helper running ...'."

That only applies to the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store. If you are using 3.8.21 it does not apply to you. The Diagnostics Report is only intended for us, though. It can be misleading or confusing if you don't know what you are looking for. ;)

We'd really appreciate it if you are still having difficulties if you'd help us help you by sending us the report (via email). You are of course welcome to review it before sending, and can even edit it if you must (obviously anything you edit out we won't have to work with, and are thus more likely to miss something). As you've likely seen, the report contains background information about not just the logs that 1Password writes but also about system specifications, Dropbox status, web browser versions and settings of the 1Password extensions in those browsers, etc. There is a lot of information, yes, but it is valuable information in troubleshooting 1Password related problems. I wouldn't know exactly what I'd be looking for without having that background information.

Either way, if you'd like to continue troubleshooting this problem, please send us a note to support@ agilebits .com and include a link to this thread.

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.