Multiple Dropbox Items for 1Password?

I have used 1Password since build 2.0 and have always synced with Dropbox. This morning I wanted to clean up my Dropbox folder Heirarchy and noticed there are several items on the root directory. (Screen Shot below)

I have never moved items around so I was wonder are all three items at the root directory needed, or are any of them duplicates?

http://i.imgur.com/6rurKJh.jpg

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

What is the path to your data file listed in 1Password's preferences on the General pane? Here is my own as an example:

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member
    edited May 2013

Hmm for some reason mine varies from yours. (See Below)

I seen a similar thread where you asked the person as to where their backups are located so I thought I would mention they are in:

"Users\SOV\Library\Application Support\1Password\Backups"

I just added a "test" login to see which files show as recently updated by their timestamps and noticed this:

Dropbox\1Password.agilekeychain (Updated Immediately when I added the test login)
    Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain (Last update was 5/14/2013)?
    Dropbox.ws.agile.1Password.settings (Last update was 7/4/2011)?

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member

Update:

Wow I haven't edited/renamed/touched/ or done anything to my dropbox files other than add the "Test Login" moments ago.

Now when I opened my 1Password 4 on my iPhone I got a Dropbox Error.

"Data in Dropbox has changed completely. Please disable and re-enable Dropbox to sync.
    App Error Code: 707
    Dropbox Error Code:0"

I have tried to turn the sync on and off but a dialoge pops up and asks me if I want to "Merge". Which I'm afriad would cause hundred of duplicates. For now I'm clicking cancel awaiting further instruction.

I appreciate the time khad!

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member
    edited May 2013

Update:

The merge dialogue disappeared. Could have been an issue with Dropbox. I read Dropbox was down earlier this morning.

Just wanted to let you know that's a non-issue.

I'm still curious to know which files are mandatory.

Thank you for your time khad!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The preferences are slightly different in the Mac App Store version of 1Password, but it isn't anything to worry about. :)

Keep ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain since that is your active data file according to 1Password for Mac.

Keep .ws.agile.1Password.settings as it is a "pointer file" that tells the mobile apps where to find your data file. It is required for syncing, and even if you delete it 1Password will recreate it since it is required.

You can try archiving the ~/Dropbox/1Password/ folder. According to 1Password for Mac you shouldn't need it, but it is better to archive it than to delete it…just in case. :)

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member

Could I archive the existing 1Password folder. Then create a new folder called 1Password and then move the settings file and keychain into that folder? Then open the settings on 1Password app on Mac and update the data file location?

That way I can straighten up the root directory.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

You could archive the current contents of the 1Password folder, move your 1Password.agilekeychain data file into that folder, and then double-click it in Finder to activate it in 1Password (i.e. notify it of the new location). The pointer file must be in the root, though. It is hidden by default in UNIX-based OSes (like OS X) since it begins with a period. Unfortunately Dropbox does respect this convention and shows it in the web interface. It shouldn't show in Finder, though.

• sovanbu
    sovanbu
    Community Member

Gotcha.

Issue resolved and information learned.

Thank you!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Happy to help.

Enjoy the rest of your week. It's almost the weekend. :)

This discussion has been closed.