Chrome Sync to New Computer, Extension "Connects" forever

Options

I recently installed the chrome extension at my home Win8 PC and it works there, letting me log in with the master password and everything. I have my chrome set to sync my settings across computers, so when I got to my work computer, Chrome automatically installed the extension to my browser there. I keep my browsers open and just lock my PC at night, so it was nice that it sync'd correctly without restarting the browser. But clicking the key button for the Chrome extension and entering my master password made it sit in a Connecting mode counting up forever. I restarted the browser and tried entering my master again and this time it said Syncing with a count up.

I just went ahead and uninstalled the browser extension in my work computer's Chrome browser and reinstalled with the 1Password desktop program, and that seems to be working properly. Can't confirm if it'll mess with anything on my PC computer yet, but this initial extension syncing with Chrome did not go smoothly.

Comments

• Joshua Sosa
    Joshua Sosa
    Community Member
    Options

Home PC's extension was acting up. Logged into the desktop program, clicked through to get to the extensions page and re-added it.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Joshua

The reason this happens is that the extension requires a background service called an Agent to run in the background. This does not get automatically started unless you install the extension through the Preferences->Browsers area (or in the new install extension pane in 1Password for Windows). If this service is not running then the extension cannot connect to get data.

When you removed and reinstalled, it started the Agent up (and it'll continue to start now) so that fixes it up.

Sorry about that!

This discussion has been closed.