Run both versions of 1Password on one computer

Options
andrewap
andrewap
Community Member
edited June 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Is it possible to run both AgileBits website and Mac App Store versions of 1Password on one computer?

In this scenario, there are two users. They both have their own desktops, one running 1Password from the AgileBits website (3.8.21), and the other running the Mac App Store version (3.9.6). Now, they want to share a laptop by creating two separate Mac user accounts.

The first user has already been using this laptop for a while, and it's running 1Password from the AgileBits website. When the second user brings over their agilekeychain and starts 1Password in their own account, it says it needs to upgrade the database.

It seems like agilekeychains created from the two versions are not compatible, which leads me to suggest running two different versions of 1Password, so that each user can use the version that's compatible with their own keychain. Is that possible and necessary?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is it possible to run both AgileBits website and Mac App Store versions of 1Password on one computer?

Yep. I have been doing it for years, but I do so for testing purposes. You probably only need one version of 1Password installed on your machine. :)

In this scenario, there are two users. They both have their own desktops, one running 1Password from the AgileBits website (3.8.21), and the other running the Mac App Store version (3.9.6). Now, they want to share a laptop by creating two separate Mac user accounts.

Sounds good so far.

The first user has already been using this laptop for a while, and it's running 1Password from the AgileBits website. When the second user brings over their agilekeychain and starts 1Password in their own account, it says it needs to upgrade the database.

This is unusual. Are you sure the user wasn't running 1Password 2 on the previous machine? There is only one Agile Keychain Format, but 1Password 2 used the format of the OS X Keychain.

It seems like agilekeychains created from the two versions are not compatible, which leads me to suggest running two different versions of 1Password, so that each user can use the version that's compatible with their own keychain. Is that possible and necessary?

That is not the case at all. As I mentioned, there is only one Agile Keychain Format. The same file can be synced between 1Password 3.8 and 3.9.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.