Old `1PasswordAgent` running and conflicting with `1Password Helper`

Options
holy_piranha
holy_piranha
Community Member
edited June 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi there,

I am experiencing a problem with the Chrome browser extension on OS X 10.8.4.

I emailed support@agilebits.com - Subject: Chrome browser extension - 'Connecting' error - on Sat 8 Jun (11:16 GMT), clearly explaining my problem and with a Diagnostics Report attached. Unfortunately, it is now 4 days on and I am still awaiting a response.

I fully appreciate how busy you guys can be and that support requests are processed in the order that they are received. And, equally, I do not want to appear to be 'moaning'!... The problem is that I am very reliant on 1Password and, ordinarily, use it (via the Chrome extension) a lot during the course of every day. Currently it is not functioning and without a response, and ideally a solution, I am really struggling!

Getting in touch on here seemed like the only way to flag my problem and try and get some resolve. Thanks, in advance, for your time and help.

Rob

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2013
    Options

Hi Rob,

I sincerely apologize for the unacceptable delay in our email queue. We're working around the clock to keep up, and I think we just cleared out all open tickets older than a few days. Unfortunately, our system shows a ticket in the queue based on the time and date of the most recent reply. So when you sent a follow up, it actually bumped your email back further in the queue. It is obviously not ideal, but normally it isn't a problem since we clear out the queue regularly. With the current sale, we've been working very hard to do that and haven't quite done so just yet.

All that said, I was able to locate your email in our support queue and will reply there as well (HGK-72722-645), and the Diagnostics Report you sent shows clearly what the issue is. There is an old version of the 1Password background process loading which is almost certainly the cause of the problem.

In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder… from the menu bar. Copy and paste the following path into the input box and then press Return:

~/Library/LaunchAgents 

Then move the ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist file you see there to the trash.

Once more, select Go > Go to Folder… from the menu bar. Copy and paste the following path into the input box and then press Return:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password

Then move the Agent folder you see there to the trash.

Once you have moved both of those items to the trash, restart your Mac.

When you Mac restarts, please open Activity Monitor (found in /Applications/Utilities) and search for "1Password". The "1Password Helper" process should be running, but "1PaswordAgent" should not be.

Could you confirm this for me and let me know if things are working better?

Thanks for your patience! I know I couldn't last very long without 1Password myself, and I don't want you to have to wait another moment longer. :)

• holy_piranha
    holy_piranha
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Khad,

Thanks very much for getting back to me!

You - and, most definitely, me! - will be pleased to know that your suggestion seems to have sorted both problems… Firstly, the 'Connecting…' message and, secondly, the on-going red exclamation mark issue. Following several system restarts, all seems to be well now.

Your response might have been delayed, but it was well worth it - thank you! Seriously, I really appreciate your help resolving the problems.

Once again, I am a happy 1Password user :)

Rob

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. The symptoms both stemmed from the same root problem, so I'm glad that fixing the root problem did resolve everything. :)

If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to get back in touch. We will do our best to not hesitate in future replies. ;)

Cheers!

• sean_datacom
    sean_datacom
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I think I understand the issue resolution, but I can't get it to work. I have completely removed 1Password.app, deleted Application Support folder, LaunchItems and Preferences. I have download a fresh copy of 1Password from both Mac App store and Agile Bits website. Both deliver: Version 3.8.21 (build 32009).

However I still have 1PasswordAgent as the background process. Digging through the 1Password.app bundle I cannot find a 1PasswordHelper executable!

Needless to say the Chrome extension doesn't connect (Safari still works fine). Running OS X 10.8.4.

Help! :((

Sean

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

…both Mac App store and Agile Bits website. Both deliver: Version 3.8.21 (build 32009).

This is not the case. The Mac App Store version of 1Password is 3.9.6 and has a background process called 1Password Helper. The version of 1Password from our website is 3.8.21 and has a background process called 1PasswordAgent.

Which version of 1Password are you actually using? You should not have both installed. That will cause the conflict.

Please let me know. We'll get things sorted out.

This discussion has been closed.