1Password 3 for iOS 5 devices like the first generation iPad

wjarosz
wjarosz
Community Member
edited September 2013 in iOS

I purchased 1Password for Mac as well as 1Password 4 for iOS a couple months ago. I have been using it on my macs and iPhone 5 regularly and been quite happy with it.

I have an old iPad1 as well, and today tried to install 1Password on it. Unfortunately, 1Password 4 requires iOS 6. All posts I see about getting 1Password to run on a 1st generation iPad explain how to download it if you have purchased 1Password 3 in the past. I purchased v4 and there doesn't seem to be a way to purchase/download v3 now. What can I do to have access to my passwords on my iPad1?

Using long, randomly generated passwords becomes quite difficult if I cannot have 1Password installed on all my devices.

Thanks

Comments

• HI @wjarosz,

What you can do is use 1PasswordAnywhere in Mobile Safari on the iPad, that will let you access your data in 1Password but it is a bit slow on the 1st gen, it could take up to a minute after you enter your master password.

There isn't a way to get 1Password 3 for iOS as it is no longer for sale for any new customers but 1PasswordAnywhere should show you the data if you need access to it. It's not a replacement for the native 1Password app but it works in a clutch.

• wjarosz
    wjarosz
    Community Member

Thanks for the answer, though that is disappointing. I tried the 1PasswordAnywhere workaround, but it doesn't actually work very well. In particular, it seems that you cannot copy passwords from 1PasswordAnywhere very easily within mobile safari: no matter how i tried to select the password, it would always select the entire row, including "Password:" and "Reveal". I then have to paste this entire row somewhere, remove the superfluous text, copy that, and then paste that as my password into another app. This is not nearly as convenient as using the standard app. Is there a more elegant solution for this?

• Hi @wjarosz,

Unfortunately, not at the moment. We'll look into that 1PasswordAnywhere issue and see if we can issue a fix to let you copy the password without the rest of the data.

• kfasman
    kfasman
    Community Member

I have the same issue. Bought a family license for 1Password4 for Mac for all our laptops. Bought the iOS addition for our late model iPhones. Unfortunately, we also have two 1st gen iPads. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, find a way to distribute 1Password3 for iOS for those of us with older devices. I'm ready to pay for it -- still cheaper than buying two new iPads!! Thank you!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately, there is not a way to sell an old version without making it publicly available on the App Store for everyone. We really agonized over this since we want to provide a solution for folks in your situation. But in the end, it would hurt FAR MORE people if 1Password 3 was still for sale on the App Store since we would get loads and loads of angry customers who bought the wrong version. :(

I wish I had a more satisfying answer, but Apple simply doesn't provide enough flexibility on the App Store for us in this regard.

• jshock
    jshock
    Community Member

I inherited an older generation iPad that can only run IOS 5.1.1. Is there any way I can use 1Password on this device?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jshock,

I merged your post with this existing thread.

If you previously purchased 1Password 3 when it was available for sale prior to the launch of 1Password 4, then you can download it as a past purchase as described in the FAQ:

Download 1Password 3 from your past purchases

If you have not previously purchased 1Password 3, unfortunately it is no longer for sale. Please see my post (and Mike's) above for more details and let us know if you still have any questions.

Thanks!

• Laptop
    Laptop
    Community Member

I love 1pasword on my 5th gen iPod, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it on my iPad1. I downloaded the Dropbox app to both my iPod and my iPad, but I can't seem to get further. Please help!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2013

Hi @laptop,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. Did you purchase 1Password 3 for iOS before 1Password 4 for iOS was released? If not, you will not be able to install 1Password 4 on your device since iOS 6 is required. If so, please see my post directly above yours (and the other ones in this thread) for more details.

Let me know if you have questions after that. I would be happy to clarify further.

• Laptop
    Laptop
    Community Member

No, unfortunately I didn't. I bought v4 I guess, so now I'm kinda SOL? Okay, so I don't need all the bells and whistles on my iPad that 1Password provides, I just want something to keep my notes secure. Any suggestions?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

You should be able to access all of your Secure Notes via 1PasswordAnywhere in Safari. Just log into the Dropbox website (presuming you are syncing via Dropbox), then open 1Password.html from inside 1Password.agilekeychain. Enter your Master Password to unlock 1PasswordAnywhere.

• 33Cheshire
    33Cheshire
    Community Member

I have a MacBook equipped with 1Password 3.8.21, and want to sync with an old iPod Touch (iOS 4.2.1). I cannot upgrade it and download !Password for iOS v4. You advise using 1PasswordAnywhere. I don't use Dropbox.

How do I get and install iPasswordAnywhere on my "ancient" iPod Touch?

I think it is totaly unfair that I cannot get 1Password 3 for iOS.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

How do I get and install iPasswordAnywhere on my "ancient" iPod Touch?

1PasswordAnywhere isn't something you install. It is a web-based interface to your 1Password data which is accessible via Dropbox. Here is the link again which explains how to use it:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html

You can also use it on a desktop computer via a USB flash drive (or any external drive really), but that isn't really an option on an iOS device. The Dropbox website in Mobile Safari is the way to access it on an iOS device.

I think it is totaly unfair that I cannot get 1Password 3 for iOS.

I agree. Could you contact Apple and let them know this? We would love to be able to offer the old version to folks without making it available for sale and confusing all of our new customers who are trying to download the current version. It would be nice if they allowed us to do this, but they don't at this time.

• kfasman
    kfasman
    Community Member

With the impending release of iOS 7, Apple seems to have provided a mechanism for users to get the most recent compatible version of an app instead of the absolute latest one. This happened automatically for me yesterday with a newly purchased app on an older device. Does this open a doorway for those of us who want 1Password on our 1st gen iPads?

See for example this article at Gizmodo: gizmodo.com/apple-offers-last-compatible-versions-of-ios-apps-for-1332363677

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure that this will help since 1Password 4 is not an update to 1Password 3 but rather a brand new app. I think it may help in the future, but I don't believe there is a way to retroactively apply an iOS 5 compatible version of "1Password 4" (i.e. the completely separate 1Password 3 app) to 1Password 4 currently in the App Store.

• Kirk Love
    Kirk Love
    Community Member

Following this thread to try and get 1Password reinstalled on original iPad running iOS 5. Can't find past purchase. 1PasswordAnywhere would be fine for the few times I need to access passwords on this device, trouble is I can't get it to work. I'm getting the Key Data File error. Read the help article, but it didn't say how to actually fix the issue.

Looking that the dates on the html files the latest I have is 3 months ago. As for the Key Data File clicking it takes me to a encryptionKeys.js file. Let me know if there is a way to get this working. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Kirk,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting 1Password set up on your iPad! First of all, to try and locate 1Password 3 for iOS, please be sure that you are signed in to the App Store with the AppleID that you used to make the original purchase. (If you're like me and somehow have collected multiple Apple accounts, your purchase might be hiding in one.)

The error you're mentioning often happens when 1Password Anywhere is accessed directly from the Dropbox app instead of from a web-browser. Are you accessing www.dropbox.com via mobile Safari?

• Helix
    Helix
    Community Member

I'm running 1Password Pro on a 1st Gen iPad and was using Dropbox to keep it in sync with other devices running 1Password4. Now that Dropbox sync is no longer supported on the iPad, what are my sync options?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Helix,

Unfortunately, the best way to keep 1Password 3 for iOS is in sync is to use Wi-Fi with 1Password 3 for Mac. Or, as is stated above, you can access your 1Password database using 1Password Anywhere through the Dropbox website. Simply find your 1Password.agilekeychain folder and click the 1Password.html file inside.

• Kirk Love
    Kirk Love
    Community Member

Hey Megan,

Doh! I was trying to access right from Dropbox, not Safari. Silly me. Works now.

I saw the purchase in the app store, but couldn't redownload it. No worries, option 1 (anywhere) works just fine for the rare times I need to access 1Pass on my old iPad. Thanks for the help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Kirk,

I'm so glad to hear that you got things sorted out. It is a tricky distinction. If you have any further questions, we're here for you!

• nyc_dab
    nyc_dab
    Community Member

I'm also a 1Password 4 for Mac user (originally 1P3) and have a 1st gen iPad that can't upgrade to 1P4 for iOS. I was able to do a Wi-Fi sync last on Sept 10, but now when I try to open the Wi-Fi sync window in 1P4 for Mac and on 1P3 on iPad, they both give me secret codes to input into the other...but nowhere in either to put the other's codes! Arrrgh. And as noted above, 1PasswordAnywhere isn't so great in Safari because of the inability to copy passwords. Since I was able to export a backup file from my iPad, open browser on Mac, and save to a Dropbox folder, why couldn't Dropbox sync do the same and just create/update a .ptbackup file at same time it creates/updates the 1Password.html file? Or, alternatively, why couldn't 1P4 for Mac include command-8 (or whatever) to do a Wi-Fi sync with 1P3 for iOS, if the command-9 Wi-Fi sync can't do that?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nyc_dab,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble getting things synced up. Now, because we completely re-designed Wi-Fi sync for 1Password 4, it cannot sync directly with 1Password 3 for iOS. However, we can still keep your data up-to-date ... it will just require 1Password 3 for Mac around to do all the hard work.

If you purchased 1Password 4 from our website, you might still have 1Password 3. If you got 1Password 4 via upgrade from the Mac App Store, we can easily install 1Password 3 for Mac via our website. Then 1Password 3 for Mac can stay synced via Dropbox with 1Password 4 for Mac, and you can sync your iPad via Wi-Fi whenever necessary.

The instructions for setting up Wi-Fi sync for 1Password 3 are here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password3/ios-wifi-sync.html

If you need to download 1Password 3 from our website again, just head here: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/legacy_versions.html

(Please let me know if you are a Mac App Store customer, and I can generate a 1Password 3 license for you)

• nyc_dab
    nyc_dab
    Community Member

Thank you, Megan. I was an AgileBits.com buyer, so it already recognized my license, had all my logins, etc. For anyone coming across this note with a similar issue, I should mention a couple of other steps I needed to go through:

1. I downloaded and installed 1Password 3 for Mac from the "Legacy Version" page, using your link above.
    2. Moved the 1Password.app file into my ~/Applications folder and opened it. (And as I said, it was already populated with all the stuff I expected and even the newer logins.)
    3. Opened up 1Password 3 on my 1st generation iPad.
    4. Because it was already set to Wifi sync earlier, I guess, it started syncing. A window on the Mac opened and even showed two conflicts of renamed logins between the iPad version and the Mac version, so I chose the Mac versions to resolve the conflicts.
    5. IMPORTANT STEP (that I probably should have done first and maybe deserves a note on the legacy version download page?): Figured out that I needed to rename the (newly installed, but earlier version) 1Password.app file as 1Password 3.app. And then renamed what had become 1Password 4.app back to 1Password.app. Thankfully -- because 1P4 is a new application and not just an update -- my OS X had only renamed the file, not overwritten it.

I figured that last step out because (a) I had checked to see that my Firefox browser extension still worked, and it didn't, and even after I identified 1Password 4.app as the 1P it wanted, it didn't display correctly, so I did the .app renaming thing of #5 in my list and then, from 1P4 for Mac, reinstalled the Firefox extension; and (b) I'd read that on another post with advice from another Admin...but forgot it until I ran into the extension problems.

So now I have a 1Password.app for 1P4 for Mac and a 1Password 3.app for 1P3 for Mac, and both are in my ~/Applications folder and I'm fine with doing my sync with the old iPad version this way; it's sort of like having a command-line script to do a specific task, only easier on the eyes.

Thanks again!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nyc_dab,

Thanks so much for including your workflow here - you're right, step 5 is very important! I'll pass along to our tech gurus that it might be worth including on the Legacy page. :)

• StefanScherer
    StefanScherer
    Community Member

I have purchased 1Password 4 some weeks ago and I am happy using it on Windows, Mac, iPhone 3GS with iOS 6, iPad3 with iOS7, but I am missing it on my iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1.
    I have seen this and similar posts, but I wonder if it is still possible to have a older version for iOS 5 if I have purchased it later after your version 3.

I have seen this link App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app at Apple which describes that the App Store would search for the latest compatible version. So as far as I understand it could be possible to add an old version 4 which is indeed your version 3 that could be used for iOS 5. All other newer iOS devices would download the newer version. Perhaps you could ask at Apple how to insert such a version into the App Store making more of your customers happy.
    Your app is really great!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @StefanScherer‌

I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password so far! Unfortunately because 1Password 3 for iOS is a completely separate version from 1Password 4 for iOS and not merely an upgrade, it is not currently available via this 'Install the latest compatible version' feature. I can certainly mention to our developers that you'd like to see this option in the future, but we want to be sure we don't confuse users with multiple versions of 1Password being available.

Thanks so much for the feedback, and please do let us know if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.