Help with 2-page login

gih
gih
Community Member

My bank recently changed its login protocol and of course the prior setup I had worked fine with 1Password and now I cannot get it to work.

The first page calls for a Username, and I can get that to work fine.

The second page then asks for a Password and a "Secret Question" response. I cannot seem to get that second page set up so it works with the \Ctrl command.

Help please?

I'm using Chrome as my browser on an XP machine if that makes a difference, but all my other logins work fine with this setup.

Many thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

1Password works great with Login processes that are spread out over multiple pages. :)

I have Logins for many sites like that in my own data file.

Try saving a new Login manually like this:

1. Visit the site's login page.
    2. Enter your username on the first page, but DO NOT submit the form.
    3. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    4. Enter your password into the password field before saving the Login item.
    5. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    6. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Manually saving a new Login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Saving a new Login item allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

If the password is to be entered on a separate page, usually adding it to a Login item saved on the first page as i described above will do the trick. If you're still having trouble, could you please let me know the URL so I can take a look?

Thanks!

• gih
    gih
    Community Member

Hi khad,

Many thanks for your help!

I'd seen this solution elsewhere in the forum and think I tried this.

One problem is the second login page asks for a password and 'secret question' response. The 1password program doesn't seem to let me enter this combination, or at least I can't figure out how to do that.

Also, when I go to click 'save', the site does not seem to allow this to save to 1password. Is it possible for a website to somehow block saving a password combination to the program?

I would point you to the website but I am having trouble with the second page, which I get to after I enter the first password, so I would have to give you the password in order to get to the second page.

Instead of that, here's a link to an image of the second page where I am stuck. I hope this gives you a picture of where I am trying to enter in the correct combination and 'save' to 1password.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2mRsFXl9D0CUEo3d0x6bllrQkk/edit?usp=sharing

Hope that gives enough information for 'next steps' I can take.

Thanks again!
    Gordon

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Try manually saving a second Login item for the second page. You will then have two Login items: one to fill on the first page, and one to fill on the second page. So, on the second page:

1. Enter your password and secret question, but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    3. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    4. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

It may not work if both fields are designated as "password" fields in the page's source code. :S You may need to manually type the security question answer. I wish I had an account there so I could take a closer look, but please try the above and let me know if that helps. We may have some more tricks up our sleeves.

• gih
    gih
    Community Member

That does work, thanks! So I have a login for each page. But it works! Thanks again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great! Thanks for letting me know that works well. That is our "official" recommendation, but in many cases you can combine things into a single Login item. I always count myself lucky when I can combine them since creating one Login for each page is the more reliable method. :)

This discussion has been closed.