Issue With Using 'Lookup in 1Password Bookmarklet' With 1Password Pro on iPad

2»

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'm very sorry for the delay in getting this problem corrected. Every time we thought we were ready to push an update thru the Apple approval process we found something else that needed to be done, or we got "spirited away" to secret meetings at Apple's headquarters for something extremely time-critical. We're just a small staff so sometimes not as much gets outwardly accomplished as we'd like.

Every update that we submit to Apple's iTunes Store approval process bumps any prior submissions to the end of the queue so we find we cannot make as many incremental bug fix releases as we can in the Mac world where we control everything.

We are very close to getting a large number of fixes submitted for the mobile apps. Did I mention that fixes for iOS 4 also gained our attention too? We really aren't wanting them to be kept from you. We really, really want things to work better.

Thank you for your patience.
  • gwetzlr
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update Marty.
  • iLuke
    edited December 1969
    Hi MartyS and everybody at Agile,

I think you are doing a tremendous job at answering our end-users questions about pending issues that need a code fix, but I have one suggestion / request which would make everybody's life easier. Can you keep an up-to-date sticky post with all the acknowledged bugs that are awaiting for a fix? There's one such post in this forum but it does not seem very up-to-date, plus it should not be left open for further replies so that it remains focused on its purpose (keeping track of open issues and temporary solutions).

I don't know if something like this is feasible or maybe it's already available and I've not seen it.

At the moment I'm already following the resolution of different issues (eg. Lookup bookmarklet not working on iPad, notes not visible on iPad unless one clicks on the Edit button, ...), and for each of those I need to refer to the original thread to see if the issue is still languishing or is been taken care of. Having everything in one place would be great (plus maybe it would reduce the number of update requests in the specific threads :-) )

Thanks!
    Cheers.
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    iLuke wrote:
    Hi MartyS and everybody at Agile,

I think you are doing a tremendous job at answering our end-users questions about pending issues that need a code fix, but I have one suggestion / request which would make everybody's life easier. Can you keep an up-to-date sticky post with all the acknowledged bugs that are awaiting for a fix? There's one such post in this forum but it does not seem very up-to-date, plus it should not be left open for further replies so that it remains focused on its purpose (keeping track of open issues and temporary solutions).

I don't know if something like this is feasible or maybe it's already available and I've not seen it.

At the moment I'm already following the resolution of different issues (eg. Lookup bookmarklet not working on iPad, notes not visible on iPad unless one clicks on the Edit button, ...), and for each of those I need to refer to the original thread to see if the issue is still languishing or is been taken care of. Having everything in one place would be great (plus maybe it would reduce the number of update requests in the specific threads :-) )

Thanks!
    Cheers.

Hi Luke,

This is a great idea, and I'm sure it would be very helpful. I'm not sure how we would do this, though. For example, should this be a sticky forum post that we just edit occasionally or something like a modest issue tracker? I like the idea and think it would boost confidence if our users saw how many bugs we're closing. :-) I'll mention it to the team and see what we come up with. Disclaimer: I can't guarantee anything. :-D

Thanks!
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    Just to keep everybody up to date, it seems like this bug has been fixed and should appear in the next update. No ETA yet on when the next update will come out.

Thanks for hanging in there, we'll get it out as soon as we can.
  • Chris PJ
    edited December 1969
    I have been a huge fan and promoter of 1Password, but it is really getting ridiculous how long the problem with the bookmarklet for the iPad has gone unresolved.

I, too, changed all my passwords and need to rely on 1Password for all web signins. Now I have to leave safari, open 1Password, enter the master password, search for the site I want to enter, copy the password, reopen safari, and enter the password. Not to mention, if I forget the login id I have to to do this all over again including my complicated safe master password. Next password protected site, same drill. If I have to wait much longer, I'll drop this program and look for another solution. Even if it is fixed, the thought of going through another 3 month waiting period if some other iOS change breaks things is really daunting.

Maybe agile needs to hire more support staff. If you can't support your product properly, especially when it is such a critical piece of software -- we are not talking about some game that I can live without for a while, but passwords to every important web site in my life -- then maybe you should stop selling that software until you can afford proper support.
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    cpjoliat wrote:
    I have been a huge fan and promoter of 1Password, but it is really getting ridiculous how long the problem with the bookmarklet for the iPad has gone unresolved.

As Mike said in the previous post, this has been fixed in the latest release, which is pending approval from Apple.

Thanks!
  • Chris PJ
    edited December 1969
    Dear Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I had already seen Mike's reply.

I don't want to be contentious, but I have to point out that Mike said that a week ago. Even if the current delay is due to Apple, we have had other promises in this post, over several months, that you were close to a solution. If it comes soon, I'll stick with the product, but I am currently researching alternatives. The suggestions I made about support are advice to you from a loyal and, formerly, enthusiastic customer. Agile can disregard that advice if they wish, but I wonder how many others feel as I do but aren't speaking up. I am concerned about relying on this type of support for something so important. I would think Agile would be concerned about what their loyal customers think.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    cpjoliat wrote:

I don't want to be contentious, but I have to point out that Mike said that a week ago. Even if the current delay is due to Apple, we have had other promises in this post, over several months, that you were close to a solution. If it comes soon, I'll stick with the product, but I am currently researching alternatives.

I can say that it has been submitted and awaiting the old Apple Review. I have to point out after that 15 year old submitted an app that contained a secret tethering function Apple may be cautious in its approvals. Also I saw a tweet from old david chartier that said current approval time is 7 or so days on average for 85 % of the apps submitted. I can only tell you I am waiting for the app now. True I participate in the betas but I am waiting on the approval so I can install it on the wifes phone and my sons. Since its a universal app it is for the phone and ipad. I am checking all evening and each night before bed and again each day before work. So Its coming, it really is.
  • jjk454ss
    jjk454ss
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    Downloading update now. Thanks

It seems like I might have something wrong. When I click on the bookmark let it opens 1Password, but when I click on the password and then click copy, it doesn't bring me back to Safari. Any ideas on why not? It does this on my iPad and my iPhone. My iPhone is still the old version, the update showed up on my iPad but not my iPhone yet.

This is what my bookmarklet is:

javascript:window.location='onepassword://'+window.location
  • hide
    hide
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I too have done the update, and yes the bookmarklet is taking me into 1Password Pro, I don't get taken back to Safari after copying the password. Doesn't look like there's the option that was on the iPhone to select the items and paste into a new web page.

Also when 1Password on the iPad starts, it shows a list of matching passwords on the right, but the main window shows the first password of all passwords in 1Password. Even if there's only 1 password in the list.

This update is getting better, but still not totally there.

~Shawn
  • om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Same problem here: No taking back after copying the PW (iPad). Any thoughgts on this?
  • Barry_L
    Barry_L
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'm not even sure I'm doing this correctly... I just updated to 3.5 Pro on my iPad, and the bookmarklet I have is called iPassword Logins. When I go to a site calling for a pw, I click it and a small login window pops up, presumably asking for my iPassword password. When I type it (the same one I use to unlock 1P), it gives me a Could Not Decrypt error, and tells me to use the same password I use when I sync.

I have no idea what that means. Am I even using the right thing? Thanks!
  • jneyer
    edited December 1969
    It looks like the gray screen has gone away on the iPad when using the Lookup in 1Password bookmarklet and auto searches for the website. But, when clicking on copy, it doesn't send you back to safari anymore.

I also read in another thread that as of this next update, the only difference between 1Password and 1PasswordPro on iOS is that the Pro is a universal app. While this is essentially true (since the lookup bookmarklet round trip is broken), Lookup used to be a Pro-only feature.

What's agile's stance on this? Is the lookup feature going to be in pro and non-pro, do you expect to be able fix this so that we have the same capability we had before the iPad universal update took it away, or is this feature being removed completely?

Also, really liking the Dropbox OTA sync.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    That's right, the only difference between 1Password touch and 1Password touch Pro is going to be the price. No more Pro extra features, all the features will be ported into the standard versions as soon as possible.
  • om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    And what about the bookmarklet? Should it work? Taking you back to Safari?
  • JP.x
    JP.x
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    MikhailT wrote:
    That's right, the only difference between 1Password touch and 1Password touch Pro is going to be the price. No more Pro extra features, all the features will be ported into the standard versions as soon as possible.

a. How do I create the bookmarklet?
    b. If Pro and non-Pro features are equal, why would anyone buy the more expensive pro?
  • jjk454ss
    jjk454ss
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    JP.x wrote:
    b. If Pro and non-Pro features are equal, why would anyone buy the more expensive pro?

I was wondering the same thing about the Pro and standard versions. But the instructions for the bookmarklet are here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/pro_edition.html
  • dteare
    edited July 2010
    om3ga777 wrote:
    Same problem here: No taking back after copying the PW (iPad). Any thoughgts on this?

With the changes in iOS 4 we changed how this works.

While I enjoyed being taken back to Safari automatically, the problem was the page would reload. With fast application switching you can quickly get back to Safari without the page reloading. Using fast app switching to go back to Safari also enables you to copy and paste multiple values in a more natural way. For example, instead of copying two values, pasting to the temporary page in Safari, and then copying individual items, you can simply switch quickly between 1Password and Safari.

Unfortunately I think the documentation is still out of date and we'll need to fix that.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    JP.x wrote:

Please see the link on this page:
    http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/pro_edition.html

Or here is the direct link:
    http://help.agile.ws/___?javascript:window.location='onepassword://'+window.location

JP.x wrote:

"1Password Pro" = "1Password for iPhone" + "1Password for iPad"
  • om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for your answer, David.

I guess we poor iPad owners, who are still stuck with that lousy bastard 3.2 just have to wait for 4.0 to get our fast-app-switching ... not your fault.
  • jjk454ss
    jjk454ss
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    First, thanks for deleting my last post, I guess I won't say anything even remotely negative again.

Second, if we do have to wait for 4.0 to cone to the iPad, then please hurry Apple!
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    For those of you asking about instructions for the Lookup in Safari bookmarklet on the iPhone, since it doesn't automatically return to Safari like it used to, here are some detailed instructions. I've used this a couple dozen times the past day or so and it's pretty nifty.

Regarding all versions of the Mobile apps only being different by price, several people are asking why anyone would purchase the Pro version. If you have more than one iDevice, it makes economical sense to get the Pro version. It's like getting 3 apps in one. Hope that helps clear things up.
  • jjk454ss
    jjk454ss
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the clarification on both subjects. I guess where I am coming from is this is about the ipad, and multitasking is still quite a ways off for the iPad. Also, even on the iPhone, the old way was better. You still only had to open 1Password once, now you have to open it twice, so to me it was much better before. I am glad the bookmarklet at least works to get you into 1Password, it certainly helps. I just wish there was a better way. I wish Apple made it a little easier on you guys.

I posted this somewhere before, but I don't think it ever got a response. But what about working with one of the developers who has a decent web browser, like Atomic or iCab, and integrating 1Password into their browser? Or add features to the browser in 1Password, like bookmarks, and maybe it could become a browser good enough to use all the time. Then we can forget the hassle of trying to work with Safari when Apple makes it so difficult.
This discussion has been closed.