Multiple Contextual Entries with Chrome

Randy Kepple
Randy Kepple
Community Member
edited June 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Noticing an odd behavior lately with Chrome and 1Password. When using the right-click contextual entry option, I am seeing multiple (duplicate) dropdown choices of the same thing. Sometimes, by the end of the day, after keeping Chrome active all day, I'll see 3 dropdowns of the same thing! It's almost like a memory leakage issue. If I restart my computer or quit Chrome, it works for a while, then starts acting up again.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Can you confirm for me that you only have one copy of the 1Password extension installed? Please post a screenshot of your extension list. Here is my own as an example:

• Randy Kepple
    Randy Kepple
    Community Member
    edited June 2013

My apologies for the delay Khad! For some reason, I was not notified by email of your response!

(For some reason, your image link button does not work, so here is a direct link)

http://randykepple.net/screenshot-2013-06-28.png

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

My apologies for the delay Khad! For some reason, I was not notified by email of your response!

No worries about the delay. I am still here. :)

Email notifications are not on by default. Did you click the star above the "POST A REPLY" button to bookmark the thread? Please let me know if you did. We may need to investigate if you bookmarked the thread but still received no notification.

1. Is it possible that there is another 1Password extension if you scroll down? I don't actually see the bottom of the list (where it says "Get more extension") in that screenshot. I'm sure you would have scrolled down and let me know if there was another 1Password extension, but I just want to be sure to mention it. :)

2. If possible, could you post a screenshot of the contextual menu when it is behaving strangely? There may be a clue there.

3. What version of Chrome are you using? If you are not running the current stable version (27.0.1453.116) please ensure that you are.

4. One thing you can do which should clear things up pretty quickly would be to create a new Chrome profile and install only the 1Password extension within it. If the problem is gone, then try adding your other extensions one by one to see if another one introduces a conflict. I suspect not. Creating a new profile should resolve things.

Please let me know how it goes.

• Randy Kepple
    Randy Kepple
    Community Member

Email notification worked that time!

1. I did scroll down and since there was not another instance of 1Password, I simply captured what I could to show you what was installed.

2. It's been behaving perfectly the past couple of days. Not entirely sure why that is as it's been pretty consistent in it's errant behavior! Must be the age old auto mechanics issue. Where your car makes funny noises for a month until you take it in to have it fixed and it works perfectly! The next time it happens, I'll start capturing it for you.

3. Yes, I checked and it's running the most current version of Chrome. In fact, I even went so far today as to download it and install it fresh.

4. I have not done this yet. If the problem persists, then I am happy to give this a run.

Thanks!

• Randy Kepple
    Randy Kepple
    Community Member

Well, wouldn't you know it. The first site I visited today where I used 1Password contextual menu and it had multiple listings. This was logging into my Wordpress blog and both menus has the same entries.

http://randykepple.net/screenshot-2013-06-29.png

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the screenshot! Have you tried simply removing and then reinstalling the extension? If not, that would be a simple thing to try first. Then, if that doesn't resolve it, I would suggest removing the extension and installing the beta version of the 1Password Chrome extension. The installation is a bit different for the beta. You will need to actually download the CRX file and then drag and drop it from Finder (not the download bar in Chrome) onto Chrome's extension list.

If all else fails, I would try a new Chrome profile as suggested above.

Please let me know how it goes. Thanks for hanging in there. :)

• Randy Kepple
    Randy Kepple
    Community Member

Removed the 1Password extension from Chrome and quit. Launched 1Password and enabled the Chrome extension, which reinstalled successfully. So far, it's working as expected. But I'll give it some time and keep my eye on it. Typically, it would work for a while, then start acting up on certain sites.

Yesterday, it was showing the double menu for my banking site, my credit card site (sucks paying bills on Sunday), the blogs I manage and PayPal site. So far today, after the new install, it's working as expected. Thanks for the assistance and patience. I'll keep you posted!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad things are working well at least for now. If end up having more trouble, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Randy Kepple
    Randy Kepple
    Community Member

Seems to be working as expected since I deleted the Chrome extension and reinstalled it. Must have corrupted somehow. The utility app is pretty nifty. Great little tool in and of itself. I'm happy to send a report over if you'd like. There is a lot of interesting stuff in the report. I ran one this morning and think it might prove useful to you. Let me know! Thanks for the support!

• Randy Kepple
    Randy Kepple
    Community Member

It's acting up again! I'm running a report and emailing support. Thanks Khad!

• Randy Kepple
    Randy Kepple
    Community Member

Here is the response from support (figured this may help someone on the forums in the future):

"Do you use multiple computers with Chrome? My guess is you are running into Chrome's new extension sync duplicating the extension over and over. Try disabling extension sync in the Advanced Sync Settings and see if that helps.

https://support.google.com/chromeos/answer/1281195?hl=en "

It appears that everything was set to sync, including my extensions. I toggled this off, deleted the 1Password extension, quit Safari, reinstalled the extension and restarted. So far, it's working. I'll give it 24 hours or so and see how it's doing then.

Thanks for the help!

• Randy Kepple
    Randy Kepple
    Community Member

Well. Guess that was premature. it's still not working! Grrr...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2013

Sorry to hear the problem is back again. We'll continue to work with you via email until everything is resolved so we're not duplicating efforts.

RVW-99839-967

• For others who may see this, we've narrowed it down to a possible bug related to running multiple windows and/or desktops. We're investigating the cause behind this and hope to have a fix for it.

• Randy Kepple
    Randy Kepple
    Community Member

Confirmed on this end as well. Took a couple of days to narrow it down, but sure enough, we figured it out! Thanks for the great support and assistance guys!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It is our pleasure to help. Hopefully we can get this resolved once and for all in a future update. :)

• danbutcher
    danbutcher
    Community Member

I've had the same issue--as well as the 1Password asking to save the password for sites it has already saved.

Other than uninstalling and reinstalling the extension, is there anything else I need to do?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Sorry that you are having some trouble with this as well, @danbutcher. As Mike mentioned above: "We've narrowed it down to a possible bug related to running multiple windows and/or desktops. We're investigating the cause behind this and hope to have a fix for it."

I think we may already have enough data on the issue, but it couldn't hurt to get some more details from you as well. If you're still having trouble, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.