Feature Request: Opera Support

Comments

• Kobrakai
    Kobrakai
    Community Member
    edited June 2013

I get it. You must be getting tired of this question, but I have to ask. Will 1Password work with Opera? I know that it won't work with the normal Opera browser, but will it work with Opera Next?

I love 1Password and like many others, I can't really browse without it. I have 1Password on my iPhone and I recently replaced it with the newer version. I also have the mac version. So it seems like I'm picking a browser that matches 1password, instead of using the browser that I want. In this case I really enjoy the new version of Opera, because FireFox seems a bit more sluggish, Chrome keeps acting up and Safari feels a bit barebones. Opera offers a nice middle ground so far.

They say they build the new browser from the ground up and it looks like they simplified extensions. So I am really hoping that there is a chance! Till then I'll keep using Chrome. I can live with Chrome, but I guess I'm a little bit spoiled. ;)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kobrakai,

I merged your post with this existing feature request thread. Please see Kyle's post from earlier and know that I've passed your vote along to the developers. :D

• Kobrakai
    Kobrakai
    Community Member

Great! Thank you! Haven't found his post while searching. The word "Next" comes up quite often, weirdly enough.

• jr_
    jr_
    Community Member

+1 for Opera support :)

This is one of the very few things I miss in Opera.

• skipdb
    skipdb
    Community Member

+1 for Opera. I've been playing with the new Opera Next based on Chromium and it is fantastic. It looks like their extension system will be compatible with Chrome/Chromium.

• Montti
    Montti
    Community Member

+1 for Opera support. It looks like the new Opera 15 is going to be chromium based, which is great.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your additional votes, folks! Please keep them coming. :)

• derekuda
    derekuda
    Community Member

I too am interested the only reason I stopped using Opera was because of 1password support

• JPass
    JPass
    Community Member

I've been an Opera fan for a long time, and the only thing holding me from getting 1Pass is the lack of an extension! Come on, make us happy! ;)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Votes added. Thanks!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

+1

• Flavien
    Flavien
    Community Member

+1 too ;)

• JPass
    JPass
    Community Member

Hey, I just installed your Chrome extension on Opera 15/Next and it installs, shows part of its pop-up menu but doesn't really work. So I guess part of the job's already done.

• Bsmldrs
    Bsmldrs
    Community Member

+1! Please add Opera support!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the votes everyone! I don't want to be repetitive, but in case any of you have missed the post at the top of this category, I'll reproduce it here:

We don't normally discuss future plans, but the progress made in Opera Next is making it more feasible for us to support Opera where it wasn't possible in the past. There are still some changes that need to be made in Opera before we proceed, though. We've notified Opera of our concerns already. At the moment, we are working hard to get 1Password 4 for Mac out to you first.

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please start a new discussion. We are always here to help!

• 3van
    3van
    Community Member

Just wanted to throw another +1 in and take the time to say thanks for making awesome software! 1Password is seriously indispensable.

• It's not exactly proper, but I thought I'd pass along that you can sorta-kinda kludge the extension into working on Opera 15 today.

I wrote up the steps I used at http://e1ven.com/2013/07/03/enable-1password-for-opera/

It's certainly not a perfect solution, but it's enough to let me use Opera until Agilebits releases something official ;)

• BenjaminNL
    BenjaminNL
    Community Member

+1 for Opera Support!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2013

It's certainly not a perfect solution, but it's enough to let me use Opera until Agilebits releases something official

Indeed it is possible since Opera now uses Chrome's rendering engine, but it has not been fully tested. There are actually known problems. Use at your own risk. We cannot endorse this. Make sure you have lots of backups. :)

• mag
    mag
    Community Member

Been hoping for this for years, sounds like it might actually happen this time. Here's a vote from me!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @mag! We are excited at the possibilities of the future. :)

More competition in the browser space is a win for everyone as far as I'm concerned.

• nambrosch
    nambrosch
    Community Member

@e1ven that works great!

• Kingfisher
    Kingfisher
    Community Member

Want.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Votes added. Thanks for letting us know! :D

• Necroarcano
    Necroarcano
    Community Member

+1 Opera Next

• siebensieben
    siebensieben
    Community Member
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the votes, folks!

@siebensieben, please note my words of caution above:

Indeed it is possible since Opera now uses Chrome's rendering engine, but it has not been fully tested. There are actually known problems. Use at your own risk. We cannot endorse this. Make sure you have lots of backups. :)

• levibrown
    levibrown
    Community Member

+1 - looking forward to the official opera extension! Currently using the modified chrome one... works ok, but cant get the keyboard shortcut to work :-/

• phill
    phill
    Community Member

+1 for Opera support

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Votes added. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.