Compatibility with Discourse forum software?

Hey Agile folks--

I've been experimenting with Discourse, a new Ruby-based web forum by one of the folks responsible for StackExchange. It's still in very active development, so it might be premature to ask here, but it doesn't appear to work well when logging in with 1Password-supplied credentials.

Specifically, when I click on a Discourse forum's "log in" button, I'm presented with a logon box (not http basic auth—an application-generated one). If I call up 1Password, I can use it to populate my credentials for username and password, and they show up in the correct boxes, but instead of actually logging onto the forum, the box vanishes and I'm returned to the forum as an un-logged-in user.

It looks like 1Password isn't pressing "enter" to actually submit the credentials—or, at least, like it's not doing it in a way Discourse understands.

I've got a small DIscourse test forum set up at my web site if you guys want to see the behavior. You can also look at the Discourse developer forum.

Would very much appreciate if you guys would take a peek and see if this is something that should be remedied from the 1Password side, or if I should instead bug the Discourse developers to address the issue. Thanks :)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I will pass this along to the developers. I know they are pretty busy lately, but hopefully we will have some more info soon. :)

Thanks for mentioning this!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

In looking at the form on that page, the form does not have a method attribute. In order to prevent accidentally exposing your login credentials in the query string of a request (GET is the default if method is not specified.) 1Password will not submit a form automatically unless the method attribute has a value of POST.

• pokrface
    pokrface
    Community Member

Thanks for looking at it! I'll take this info back to the Discourse feedback forum and let them know!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Jamie, you are quite welcome! :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• pokrface
    pokrface
    Community Member

Follow-up to this—the Discourse devs modified their code and now the log-on box doesn't simply close when I choose Fill & Submit in 1Password. However, the form doesn't actually submit, either—the observed functionality with "Fill & Submit Login" and "Fill Login" are the same.

I can totally live with clicking the logon button myself, but if you guys happen to be bored and without anything to do, it'd be awesome if you could take a second look and see if this is something I should poke the Discourse devs about further.

Y'all are awesome :) Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up! We'll take another look. :)

This discussion has been closed.