New Dropbox API

Options
randot
randot
Community Member

Excited to hear about 1P being featured so prominently at DBX, and also about the new Dropbox API.

Does this mean we can finally get rid of the .ws.aigle.1Password.settings file?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It would be nice, eh? :)

I can't discuss future plans, but we are excited to continue our partnership with Dropbox. Please stay tuned for more. ;)

• randot
    randot
    Community Member
    Options

I suppose I will, but I have to be honest—I'm kind of getting tired of "staying tuned" about that. It seems like such a fragile (not to mention obtrusive) way of enabling sync. I've used lots of apps that sync, and have for a long time...none of them put a plain text pointer file right at the top of my Dropbox root.

If nothing else, maybe you can use your partnership to lean on your friends at Dropbox to hide .files in the apps? I've requested it to them many times, and never gotten a response.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I agree that it would be nice to not have a pointer file there, but I can't give a time frame for when/if it will go away. We prefer to let the product speak for itself rather than making a bunch of promises about the future. It's certainly on our radar, though. Thanks for letting us know that its removal is important to you! We don't track any usage of 1Password (for perhaps obvious security and privacy reasons), so we rely heavily on direct feedback from 1Password users like yourself. Your feedback is sincerely appreciated.

• randot
    randot
    Community Member
    Options

So here's an idea that I think could be implemented in a straightforward manner (and hopefully could be added to version 3, so we don't have to wait for version 4).

As I understand it, to fully take advantage of the DBx API, apps need to sync to the Dropbox/Apps folder. Even though the current version doesn't use that API, the folder will already exist for syncing on most of your users' Dropboxes. Mine already has 2 apps syncing there. And 1P is already designed to look in a hardcoded specific location for the pointer file. So what if that logic was changed to say:

• First look in Dropbox/Apps/AgileBits/ for the agile keychain file. If found, use that.
    • If directory doesn't exist, check for the pointer file in the old location and follow that path.
    • So users storing the keychain in /Apps can safely delete the pointer without it being recreated.

Please look into this. While I've enjoyed seeing the v4 sneak peeks so far, this pointer file issue is literally the only thing I want from 1Password at the moment.

Thank you!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up on this, @randot! I'll pass your additional feedback along to the developers for consideration. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. :)

• randot
    randot
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.