Feature Request: The ability to share records

I don't think its possible now but it would be nice to have this feature to share certain log-in records with family members who also use 1password. i.e Mortgage logins, Insurance logins, Utilities logins, etc. One of your competitors in the Apple App store recently introduce this feature. "Keeper Password & Data Vault". Is this something that can be done already?

Thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The concept of sharing and multiple data files within 1Password has been suggested a number of times and it's certainly a very interesting and useful idea! We are considering this for the future, but it is quite a substantial change to how 1Password works right now which means a lot of time and testing is required to add this feature.

Since 1Password is an encryption app and not a hosted service (which we see as a great strength) we can't simply "grant access" to your data to another user. The secure exchange of data needs to be factored in. So with that said, I really can't make any promises on a time frame for when we may be able to bring this to 1Password, but that doesn't mean we won't. We've always believed in trying to be as honest and realistic with our users as possible rather than making lots of empty promises.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more positive answer right now, but thank you so much for letting us know that you would find this useful. We do take the number of users who request a feature into consideration when we decide on our feature lists.

In the meantime, importing and exporting 1Password Interchange Files is a great way to transfer information between different installations of 1Password (File > Export > 1Password Interchange File). It is not automated, but for my purposes it works well since I am not constantly changing the passwords I share with others. This way each user can have private 1Password data and import only the items they need from the rest of the team.

(Please be aware that the 1PIF information is not encrypted and should be handled with care while in transit and securely deleted once the information is safely imported into an encrypted 1Password data file.)

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• kwest01
    kwest01
    Community Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond khad. The option to use the interchange file will work for me since we don't change those password constantly.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great! I'm glad I could help. Enjoy the rest of your week. :)

This discussion has been closed.