How are they using iCloud?

I thought that Apple required all iCloud apps to be distributed through the App Store. How is this 1Password beta using iCloud? Did they lift that restriction?

Comments

• They could just be using the ~/Library/Mobile Documents/ folder path on your systems.

• I don't think that is possible. If you look in Mobile Documents you'll see that they have the standard name for an iCloud app folder. I think (not 100% sure) that it's only possible to do those things with official iCloud APIs. To gain access you have to perform certain functions in the developer portal, and I thought they only allowed it for Mac App Store apps. Maybe they make exceptions for development. But if you look in the release notes posted at the top of this forum, you'll see that they say that the Mac App Store and AgileBits store versions are exactly the same, which implies that iCloud will also work in the non-Mac App Store version. I didn't think this was possible. Can anyone from AgileBits confirm/deny?

• In case you have 2 macs - just add a folder to the iCloud folder - you will also see him on the second mac. So it just syncs this folder. I think you need the APIs to access this folder from IOs

• roustemroustem AgileBits Founder

Team Member

What Mark Cohen and telephoneman said.

It is not officially supported by Apple but it seems to work so far.

• Thanks for clearing that up.

This discussion has been closed.