1 Password mini interface (popover vs. menu)

Hi all and agilebits team,

I have found the new interface for the browser extension and menu bar app (1Password mini) to be very awkward. I prefer the older style with a self-contained popover interface. The new interface is an unruly, ever expanding set of menus, going every which direction.

I really like the iOS style popover interface (used by 1Password 3, Dropbox, Evernote, Mint, etc.). It's much cleaner looking and requires less movement/navigation.

What do you guys think?

I'm looking forward to future enhancements and the final release.

Cory

Comments

• garygary Junior Member

Just started using version 4 so I'm not so sure yet. Not being able to select a login and copy the password is a big minus, like I needed for this forum. The extension might be better offset to the left, so the right top dialog corner (in Chrome) is near the toolbar button. The search animation is a bit awkward with it re-sizing vertically. Font-size is a bit big and doesn't quite look OS X like. While I like the color, I think the icons might be a bit flatter since that seems to be where iOS 7 and perhaps OS X eventually (10.10?).

As for use, most of the time I search so it's not so bad. But still undecided. If one uses the other categories often like Identities, then it is quicker to get to, though there is a delay in menu drawing as you select thru them. That enough slows things down.

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. We're now adopting a unified native interface (Cocoa) that allow us to do more than we can with the previous design, we were already reaching the limits too quickly with the Javascript-based interface that the browsers do.

Instead of custom-designing the extension for each browser, we only have to use one interface for all browsers. This will allow us to quickly optimize the interface once and all browsers see it. Not to mention, for the first time, 1Password mini is accessible for our VoiceOver users and international users can see their own localized interface.

I'd like to address each of the comments here below the quotes here:

@hophead:

The new interface is an unruly, ever expanding set of menus, going every which direction.

We have changed a lot in 1Password mini recently, can you update to the latest b39 and tell me if it is any better? If not, can you give us more details as how we can improve it. We really want to make it better, but we need your help as well.

@gary

Not being able to select a login and copy the password is a big minus, like I needed for this forum.

You can do that. Make sure you update to the latest beta, (beta 39 at this time), hover your mouse over to the right side of the item and you'll see the > button to view its details. Once you see the details, you can now click on the password to copy it. You can also press the anchor button on the bottom left of the detail view to keep it on top of your windows, so you can manually copy and paste anywhere.

the search animation is a bit awkward with it re-sizing vertically.

We had to do this because many of the item's titles are too long to fit into the same size, so we resize to fit them.

Font-size is a bit big and doesn't quite look OS X like

That's interesting. We'll see if we can improve the look here. Font sizes are something we're hearing about often, so we're investigating for the possibility.

If one uses the other categories often like Identities, then it is quicker to get to, though there is a delay in menu drawing as you select thru them. That enough slows things down.

Even in the latest beta 39? We've optimized a lot in the last few updates, can you update and let me know if it is better?

Thanks!

• garygary Junior Member
    edited August 2013

MikeT,

About the search animation. I'm mostly referring to the browser extension. I can understand when the mini browser needs to resize during search. But it resizes in both directions. If the top border remained static, and it expanded only downward (like Spotlight, iBooks, …) I think it'd look better.

Performance of the browser extension seems better.

As for the sidebar and font size, I see the section headers now. They could be slightly offset to the left, so each item is indented (like Mail, Finder, and iTunes). That is not to say that OS X is perfect and isn't evolving, but I think it's clear. For the Finder sidebar, I think the biggest it should be is as iTunes, and possibly with an option to have it smaller like the Finder (in System Preferences). For the login list, a font size for the user name about the size of the Finder sidebar (when set to small) seems about right, and the login title slightly bigger.

The login detail pane maybe could use small font sizes too. Especially in other languages, field labels get cut off (nom d'utilis… for user name, dernière mo… for last modification, …). Though except for Apple pro apps, and many other 3rd party apps, most UI font sizes are like what you use for login pane. Another option for small font-size for the login details could be nice for those that like it, with a default of what's in use now.

There are a lot of other details like all the buttons, such as editing a login. I prefer the flatter and gray icons of the Finder and iTunes sidebars. Removing the label (at least for edit) would be cleaner too, with only button text when necessary, for save, cancel, …

g

• robrob Agile Customer Care

Team Member

Thanks for the feedback, Gary! I've made a note of it for the devs.

This discussion has been closed.