Feature Request: New / Adjusted 'Categories'

TechAddict
TechAddict
Community Member

I finally took the plunge and bought 1Password for Mac and iDevices and mostly I'm impressed with the app, particularly the polished look of the entries as a result of the user configurable 'sections'. I'll be even happier when desktop iCloud sync arrives.

I'm looking at one password as a one-stop replacement for, the now ageing abandonware, SPB Wallet and for me, in that regard, a couple of additions to 1Password Categories would be very useful and turn it into a 'perfect fit' solution, rather than a 'just about' solution.

Before getting into the detail I must say I do find the term category, in the context of the app, to be a bit of an anomaly, I suppose it depends on how you view the term. With regard to bank accounts, credit cards, emails accounts, log-ins and reward programmes etc I can see the term works well. Many people have a lot more than one and the completed cards sit well under those pre-designated categories. Other things though sit less well as categories, social security number, driving licence, passport. These to me are more single 'cards' rather than categories but I suppose it's explainable on the basis that people may store the details of their whole family. There are some rather bizarre inclusions such as databases, servers and routers, just how many of these will people have and do they really need their own categories, cluttering up the categories at the category view level? Would such cards not sit better under a category of 'systems' or whatever? The 'Identities' category is also one I'm a little lost on I must say. This is for what?

Given the somewhat bizarre (IMHO) inclusion of categories like servers and databases it does highlight for me the omission of some categories which in contrast I think would be VERY useful:

Mobiles: Many people I know use more than one mobile phone (or other SIM based devices such as tablets). It would be useful to record the details from these such as phone numbers, carrier and such things as PUK1 and PUK2 codes, together with SIM lock codes etc and even phone lock codes if used. Cards for such devices don't really seem to be creatable under other 'categories' and neither would you think to look under any of the existing categories for such cards I think.

Utilities / Services: I suppose this COULD go under log-ins but that category is in danger of becoming seriously overloaded with any site ranging from shopping, information, forums and such like being stacked up under it. Utilities and service providers often have other information that it would be useful to record such as account numbers, customer id numbers, help lines, emergency numbers etc (thinking electric, water, gas, oil, cable, telephone, council services etc). To me this would be another useful category.

Systems / Lock Codes: Many apps and such like have their own log-ins these days and people will often set such codes for things like house alarms, desktop PC, laptops, combination padlocks used on suitcases and / or whatever. Again such info does not seem to sit well under any exiting category.

Insurance: Another useful one. Car, motorbike, buildings, contents, medical, dental, travel and various other insurance policies all have similar info to be recorded, policy number, valid from /to, contact numbers, customer ID etc etc. Again, doesn't sit well elsewhere and I suspect some folks would have enough 'cards' to justify a category. I certainly have more insurance policies that I have 'Databases' (0), 'Servers' (0) and 'Routers' (1) yet these command their own categories, thankfully not displayed if there are no entries

Sure these things possibly COULD be created under existing categories but would not sit well under any. As mentioned, the Log-Ins category is in danger of becoming heavily overloaded and even this would benefit IMO if users could create further Log In categories, designating each with a label (e.g. forums, shopping, sites) but that may be too much to achieve.

There are other pieces of information I keep as well (medical card numbers, national insurance number - not every country has an all encompassing 'social security number') and such like all of which for me would sit better under a 'Personal' category with user configurable cards. As it is, complete a Social Security card with information which is not actually social security, but similar, and it STILL gets put under the category of social security and each 'card' still carries the sub-title of social security regardless of what you name it.

Overall, a very good app IMO and one that has the potential to be an all-in-one solution for people looking to keep all their confidential info in one place. If the app was still merely a website password store the things I mention would likely be considered superfluous, as it is though, the design is clearly going way beyond mere website passwords storage and in this regard I think the above would be worthy of consideration.

Comments

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member

One example regarding the above is simple lock codes for devices, phones, tablets, cameras, desk-tops, lap-tops, car park security codes, apartment entry keypads, travelling TSA combination padlocks etc etc etc. I have numerous 'devices' for which I'd which to record such simple codes and have them all filed under a category or cluster but I can't find a way to do it sensibly.

Where things like Amazon Servers, Servers and Databases are covered it seems that a number of more realistically useful 'categories' have been missed. All that would be required in this case would be a simple 2 field 'category' under 'key codes' or 'lock codes' with 'Device / application /purpose' being the first field ti be filled in by user (e.g. iPhone 5 Screen Lock) with the second field being the password.

As it is, it seems the only way to accomplish this at the moment is to use secure notes (hardly a 'polished' solution) while the multiple slots into which I could fit server and database cards stand empty. Just seems somewhat bizarre.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TechAddict,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. :)

You've written quite a bit, so I apologize in advance if I miss an important part of it, but I'll try to reply to everything in order.

There are some rather bizarre inclusions such as databases, servers and routers, just how many of these will people have and do they really need their own categories, cluttering up the categories at the category view level? Would such cards not sit better under a category of 'systems' or whatever?

Many users administer dozens or hundreds of servers, but I'll pass your feedback along to the developers.

The 'Identities' category is also one I'm a little lost on I must say. This is for what?

From the user Guide:

Identities are great for storing names, addresses, job titles, email addresses, and other items related to a particular person. Each person can have more than one identity. This is useful when you have separate information; one for work, one used for home and/or for entering different billing/shipping addresses.

Like the credit cards category, the Identities category can also be filled into websites when the information contained within the specific identity is needed.

…some categories which in contrast I think would be VERY useful:

I'll pass your list along to the developers. For now you might consider Secure Notes fro some items as they allow freeform text, or simply use a Login item. The fields are completely customizable, so you can make it into whatever sort of template you like. Also consider using folders for organization rather than relying solely on the built-in categories for this.

There are other pieces of information I keep as well (medical card numbers, national insurance number…

I store all of my insurance and medical information as Membership items and have been doing so for years. It seems to work well. Let me know if that doesn't work for you for some reason.

One example regarding the above is simple lock codes for devices, phones, tablets, cameras, desk-tops, lap-tops, car park security codes, apartment entry keypads, travelling TSA combination padlocks etc etc etc. I have numerous 'devices' for which I'd which to record such simple codes and have them all filed under a category or cluster but I can't find a way to do it sensibly.

Depending on your preference, you could either store them all in one big Secure Note called something like "Simple Lock Codes" or individually as Login items with nothing but the password field filled in. 1Password is flexible enough to allow for either.

If there is anything else I can help with please let me know.

Cheers!

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Accept what you say in relation to databases and such like but at the moment the app does seem slightly heavily biased towards servers / routers / amazon servers / databases at at the expense of potentially useful but more general day-to-day categories that might be used by those not in an IT field.

I'll try what you say with regard to the notes etc (indeed that's what I've done with the simple lock codes, but notes just give a text field and don't seem configurable for inserting a password box, unless I've missed it. I'd be more happy with though with a simple two field 'category' card if such a thing were possible, more in keeping with the rest of the theme.

Memberships may be the only way to go with insurances it may even work with insurance. I still think dedicated categories might be better though and mobile telephony would definitely benefit from a category IMO.

Anyway, that's my initial thoughts and feedback :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up on this! I've passed your feedback along to the developers. Please let me know if you'd like me to pass anything else along to them. :D

Cheers!

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member

Welcome, and thanks for the prompt replies :) None of these things are show-stoppers but maybe merely useful additions. There's always ways to find work arounds but given that some categories are included that folks may either have or not have, even on the personal rather than IT fron, such as Outdoor Licences, I thought it useful to give some thoughts on some categories that may be considered more general day-to-day stuff, such as Utilities, Mobiles and such like.

Looking forward to 1P for Mac 4 (if that includes iCloud sync I'll likely not bother with the USB option, albeit I'm sure the bugs will get ironed out in time. Really enjoying the Ap more now and happy to be able consign SPB Wallet to the bin, great in its day, but its day was 5 years ago and it never moved on.

All the best!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We really do appreciate your feedback. It helps is steer future development. I think you will like iCloud syncing in 1Password 4 for Mac. It is indeed very nice. :)

• TechAddict
    TechAddict
    Community Member

Just one more thing on this. Might it not be a bit better if the category 'Credit Cards' was named 'Bank Cards'. Cards these days are one of two types, 'Credit' and 'Debit', there being distinct differences. A play on words maybe but when you enter a debit card's details it is still listed as a credit card.

Either maybe change the category to just 'Cards' or 'Bank Cards' and / or have a selectable drop down of type as 'Credit' or 'Debit', with the current 'Type' re-labelled as 'Service Type' (e.g. Visa, MasterCard etc.).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Fair point. I'll mention this to the developers. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.