Locker

Locker
Locker
Community Member
edited August 2013 in iOS

1PW 4.2.2
iOS 6.1.3 on iPad MD942LL/A
iOS 6.1.4 on iPhone 5
(Also synced on Mac, but not much recently)
Dropbox Sync

Too many times I see:

Problem with sync. Tap to fix

Dropbox Errors:
Data in Dropbox has changed completely. Please disable and re-enable Dropbox to sync 
App Error Code: 707
Dropbox Error Code: 0

Your iPad data does not match data in Dropbox
Would you like to merge? 
[Merge] 
[Cancel]

Last synced a second ago
There was a problem with the Dropbox service

I did disable Dropbox and enabled it. The problem seems to stop for a while, but happens again (on both devices, perhaps more on the iPad)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Could you please email us your diagnostics so we can better assist you? Tap Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Email Diagnostics and, if possible, include a link to this thread so we can connect the dots when we see your message in our inbox.

• Locker
    Locker
    Community Member

Will do.

Edit: I just updated to 1PW 4.2.3 for iOS. Let me see first if I still get the same problems.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Cheers!

• Locker
    Locker
    Community Member

Update: I still have still have problems of "Data in Dropbox has changed completely" etc. I am now at:

1PW 4.3.2 on iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.4, Dropbox 3.0.2

4.2.BETA-08 (42008) on MacBook with OSX 10.9.1, Drobpox 2.6.2

The "Data in Dropbox has changed completely" and all the other results appear on the iPhone, (I don't recall seeing it on the Mac) and is very disruptive, seen especially in long notes, when the whole note is duplicated (merged) perhaps with modifications due to possible changes between the two revisions, where I don’t know if the top part or/and the bottom part is the latest and the correct one.

• Side suggestion: When 1PW merges, it would be better if it inserts a banner above and below each part. That way it will be more clear that the note has two copies there, and where is the break is.
      I am adding:
      =========================
      ********** End of File ******************
      =========================

at the bottom, so if there is a merge, I can find where the first one ends. But unless I scroll to the middle and look for it, I don’t know if any merge happened at all. (long note, remember?)
      You can do much better, when the 1PW will add a banner with some indication where it’s coming from: e.g.:
      *** copy 1 of 2014.02.16, 14:22, from …???, start of file*** , 
      …
      *** copy 1 of 2014.02.16, 14:22, from …???, end of file*** , 
      ===============================================
      *** copy 2 of 2014.02.14, 06:244, from …???, start of file*** , 
      …
      *** copy 2 of 2014.02.14, 06:244, from …???, start of file*** , 

but of course I would like to see how the problem can be avoided in the first place.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Locker,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're still having this issue. Do you have multiple keychains stored in Dropbox? It sounds to me like 1Password might be finding multiple datafiles and getting confused as to which one to use. Please note that until we have multiple vault support available for iOS, we recommend only syncing one vault to Dropbox.

Thanks also for the feedback on merging - I'll pass this along to our developers!

• Locker
    Locker
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

Excellent observation.
    I did have multiple datafiles a while back, due to the fact that I've tested many versions, including many betas, since day-1 (well before dropbox was even an option). The default location has changed meanwhile, and few versions were generated.
    At some time in the past, I went and cleaned all of them and left just one.

But didn't check since then.

Today I looked and indeed there are now two:

/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/...

and

/1Password.agilekeychain/...

Which is the recommended location? Is it the same recommended location for 1PW3 and 1PW4 on a Mac? as well as 1PW on iPhone/iPad?

Both have files that were modified recently, so indeed 1PW seems to get confused.

The content is a little different:

Location -A-
        /1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/
            1Password.html (file)
            data/
                default/
                    1password.keys
                    .1password.keys
                    encryptionKeys.js
                    (datafiles).1password
                    ...   ---changed today... oops, and now it shows changed 5 sec ago

Location -B-
        /1Password/
            a/
                default/
                    files/
                        (data-folders)/
                            datafiles
                            datafiles(1)
                            datafiles(1).def
                            datafiles(1).icn
                        (data-folders)/
                    thumb/
                        l/
                        m/
                        s/

config/
                buildnum
                domains
                newsletter
                use-thumbnail
            data/
                default/
                    contents.js                  -- changed 7 hrs ago
                    (datafiles).1password
                    (datafiles).1password -- changed 7 hrs ago

1Password(1).html
            1Password(2).html
            1Password(3).html

I don't have the Mac with me right now, so I don't know where is the location of the datafile there.
    I just checked the iPhone, and indeed it complains about mismatch. Also, a data that I entered on the Mac this morning does NOT appear in the iPhone.

Location -2- seems much more complex.
    On my Mac, I do have attachments. Obviously I cannot see it on the iPhone so I cannot know if they are missing or not.

Questions:

• Where do I see on iOS what is the location that is being used right now (and probably change from time to time, as the 1PW on iOS seems to pick different locations at different times)
    • Where is the recommended location (for all 1PW ver3, ver4 on all platforms: Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad)?
    • Where is my most completed data? (is it location B?)
    • If recommended location is (A), can I move the content of (B) to (A)?
    • How to reduce the possibilities that another location will 'pop up'?

And probably 1PW should check for multiple locations and alert about it.
    And how come that 1PW on iOS is not consistent? (when both locations exist at the same time)

.>Please note that until we have multiple vault support available for iOS...

Does it mean that on the Mac you do support multiple vault locations?
    I would encourage you to add this capability that is very useful in a multi-user (family) environment.

Thanks, as usual.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Locker,

Thanks so much for the detailed report!

Where do I see on iOS what is the location that is being used right now (and probably change from time to time, as the 1PW on iOS seems to pick different locations at different times)

Currently there is no way to see the location that 1Password 4 for iOS is syncing to. In Preferences > Sync you can choose to sync via either iCloud, Dropbox or Wi-Fi, but because 1Password 4 for iOS was designed before multiple vaults were introduced, there was no need for a more specifics here. This feature will, of course, be reconsidered as we work to bring multiple vaults to iOS.

Where is the recommended location (for all 1PW ver3, ver4 on all platforms: Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad)?

The default location for your data is Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain.

Where is my most completed data? (is it location B?)

Without seeing a Diagnostic Report, I can't say which keychain contains the more complete set of data. If you'd like to create a Report and send it in via email, we can get a better idea of which keychain holds the most data.

There are instructions on how to generate a Diagnostic Report on your Mac here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

If recommended location is (A), can I move the content of (B) to (A)?

Once we determine where your most up-to-date datafile is, we can discuss the best way to get all of your data on all your devices.

How to reduce the possibilities that another location will 'pop up'?

At this point, the safest course of action is to only sync one vault (keychain) to Dropbox.

Does it mean that on the Mac you do support multiple vault locations? I would encourage you to add this capability that is very useful in a multi-user (family) environment.

Multiple Vaults is one of the great new features in 1Password 4 for Mac. Each vault has separate sync settings so that you can share some of your Logins with family or co-workers, while keeping your personal Logins private. Our developers are working hard to bring this feature to our other platforms (we have a lot of users excited to see this feature everywhere!) but for right now it is a Mac-only feature, so we don't recommend syncing any secondary vaults if you do rely on 1Password 4 for iOS (as it could cause the same type of issue you are seeing right now.)

I hope this answers your questions! Once we see a Diagnostic Report we'll be better able to help you get your data sorted out and synced up :)

• Locker
    Locker
    Community Member

1) Based on the structure of the file in location B (see my original post), it loped to me more complete, so I removed the one in location A.
    Furthermore, I checked 1PW on my Mac and it did use location B too.

All seems better now. I didn't get any more sync problems in 1PW on iOS.

2) administrative question: What's the easiest way to quote your reply? It used to be simple in your previous BB, but here I could not find the way.

3) I never created any vault (keychain) on Dropbox manually. It all was through 1PW, when it moved the keychain from the Mac to the Dropbox (and the Dropbox location on my Mac). So the two different locations were created by "you".

4) I guess that location A "Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain" is more suitable for the future, where multiple vaults would reside in the Dropbox/1Password folder.

So today I moved everything from "Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain" to "Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain" (and having only one keychain.

I disabled the Sync both on Mac and iPhone.

Moved the keychain by moving the keychain in Dropbox folder on my Mac.

Redefined the keychain location on the Mac. (see another post)

It synced ok.
    Enabled sync on the iPhone. It's seems syncing ok. (just that I get "Application is being rate limited by Dropbox..." I'll try to be patient.

5) and of course a new question. I want to try and create a secondary vault on the Mac. Probably it's not good to store it on Dropbox at the moment, because of the limitations of 1PW on iOS at the moment. I assume it will be safe if I store it somewhere else outside Dropbox on my Mac. Is it?
    And if the Vault name is not "1Password.agilekeychain", and I dare to put it in Dropbox (not until you allow me to :) ) is there any risk that 1PW on iOS will pick it, even if the name is not the standard "1Password.agilekeychain"?

5.1) Perhaps I'll try to see if your 1PW iOS current beta is capable of more than 1 vault. Any comments?

999) Thank you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Locker,

Thanks again for such detailed feedback!

1) I'm glad to hear that things seem to be working well for you now. :)

2) Our forums allow Markdown to format your posts. To quote, simply use the > in front of the quoted text.

3) It sounds to me as if sync may have been enabled in one location, then disabled and re-enabled in the other location, which can be a simple error to make.

4) The "Application is being rate-limited by Dropbox" message should only happen on your first sync if you have a large database (which often happens if your database has a lot of attachments). The best thing to do is to be patient and let it finish. If you keep resetting, you'll keep running into the same problem.

5) At this point, because you use 1Password 4 for iOS, we do not recommend storing secondary vaults in Dropbox. The iOS app should only find the 1Password.agilekeychain and not your otherwise-named secondary keychains, but there is a chance that it might, and then you could be dealing with merged databases, and that is not fun. It's a precautionary measure, but when dealing with your data, we feel it's better to be safe than sorry.

5.1) Multiple vaults are at the top of our developers' priority list for iOS, but I can't comment much more than that. If you haven't already signed up to help us test the betas, you can do so here. The more testers we have to help us polish up the details, the sooner we'll be able to get the next version out!

This discussion has been closed.