Out-of-Sync

benfdc
benfdc
Community Member

Presently running 1P/Mac 3.5.15 and 1P/Mac 4b45 (in parallel) on my MacBookPro8,1 and the current version of 1P/iOS on my iPhone 4S.

Syncing via Dropbox only.

A few days ago I added a credit card on my iPhone and was disturbed to not find it on my Mac the following day.

Since then, the All Items count on my iPhone has been steadily diverging from the count on both 1P/Mac apps and changes on either platform are not syncing to the other.

The sync animation in 1P/iOS looks normal, and to all appearances Dropbox is functioning properly on my Mac as well.

I can solve my immediate problem by manually transfer the newly-added stuff from my iPhone to my Mac and then reset 1Password on my iPhone, but I thought that, before doing so, I should post something here and see if I could do some troubleshooting that might be helpful to others. :-)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I do wish you were using a current stable version of 1Password for Mac rather than a nearly two-year-old version and a beta, but let's see if we can get to the bottom of things despite this. :)

Does it help if you clear the cache (Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache)?

If you're still having trouble, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Hey, I didn't ask to be running the beta. Oh, wait, … I did!

There is no Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache in 1P4 [b52]. I executed the command in 3.5.15 but it did not help.

It crossed my mind that it might help to see what 1PasswordAnywhere thinks might be going on.

Well.

I see the following three folders in my Dropbox:

• 1PasswordSync (an old folder that dates from the 1PasswordPro era) (last modified Feb 14, 2013)
    • 1Password.agilekeychain (which is the folder that 1P/Mac syncs to) (last modified today)
    • 1Password (last modified July 6, 2013)

Opening 1Password.html in 1Password.agilekeychain reveals keychain contents that correspond to what I see on my Mac. There is also an older 1Password(1).html file in that folder. It doesn't seem to do anything useful.

Opening 1Password.html in 1PasswordSync > 1Password.agilekeychain results in a missing Key Data File error. But as I said, this is not the active folder.

There is no 1Password.html in the 1Password folder. The contents of that folder are 1Password.agilekeychain > data > default. In the default folder are three files:

• [longHexadecimalString].1Password (dated 7/5/13)
    • contents.js (dated 7/5/13)
    • contents ([myname]'s conflicted copy).js (dated 7/30/13)

It's looking to me as though my iPhone is no longer syncing to the same keychain as my Mac. Is there a way to test such a thing?

—Ben

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2013

That sounds about right. Please try removing the first and last items you listed (1PasswordSync and 1Password) from your Dropbox folder but leave the active data file 1Password.agilekeychain intact. Then quit and reopen 1Password for Mac. Check the contents of .ws.agile.1Password.settings in the root of your Dropbox folder. (It may be easier to view it on the Dropbox website since it is hidden by default in OS X.) It should say:

1Password.agilekeychain

Can you confirm that?

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited August 2013

I figured out what is going on. Why it is going on is a mystery, but I am 99% certain that it has nothing to do with the ways I am running 1P3 and 1P4 on my Mac or the contents of my Mac's ~/Dropbox folder.

I use MoneyWell to keep my finances in order (or at least to maintain the illusion of doing so). MoneyWell syncs via Dropbox, but I do not use my main Dropbox account to sync MoneyWell 2.2 on my Macs and MoneyWell Express on my iPhone. What makes this possible is that MoneyWell 2.2 communicates directly with the cloud rather than storing its sync file in the local ~/Dropbox folder.

I've been having some sync data corruption issues with MoneyWell 2.2, and consequently was shunted into NoThirst's beta program where the problem is being worked on. I have probably "reset" my Dropbox sync in MoneyWell Express on my iPhone a half dozen times in the last month or so.

I decided to log into my secondary Dropbox account and check out 1PasswordAnywhere there. Sure enough, I see there my familiar 1Password keychain, including the two items I recently added from my iPhone but with no trace of the recent activity on my Mac.

I have no recollection of having reset my 1P/iOS keychain any time in the recent past. However, at some point during the MoneyWell troubleshooting over the last month I connected my iPhone's Dropbox app to my secondary Dropbox account. Could changing that connection have affected 1P/iOS?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, it sounds like you were syncing to a different Dropbox account. As I'm sure you know, you will need to use the same Dropbox account in for both Dropbox on your Mac and 1Password on your iOS device. Verify Dropbox for Mac is logged in to the same account that you have authed in 1Password for iOS.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

No, 1P/Mac is using the correct account. If it is possible to change the Dropbox account to which 1P/iOS points without first resetting the keychain, I may have done that. Alternatively,

I may have reset the keychain, pointed it at my secondary Dropbox account, and then synced the database to my Mac via USB (if 1Password has that capability), at which point 1P/iOS presumably would have recreated it in my secondary Dropbox account.

I'm confident that resetting my 1P/iOS keychain and then re-establishing sync with the correct Dropbox account will set things right.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

If it is possible to change the Dropbox account to which 1P/iOS points without first resetting the keychain,

Yeah, that's what it sounds like.

I'm confident that resetting my 1P/iOS keychain and then re-establishing sync with the correct Dropbox account will set things right.

I believe so as well, but please do let me know if you run into any trouble (or have any other problems). :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Fascinating. I cleared the keychain in 1P/iOS, set it to sync to the proper Dropbox account, and waited for the sync to complete. The count ended two items short—one Login (583 vs 584) and one Database (9 vs 10).

Checking the Database category on my Mac keychain, I found one item (named Database) that was empty. So I deleted it, and then looked for, found, and deleted an empty Login entry titled Login.

That's what I call a smart sync!!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It sounds like you have quite a handle on things now. I'm glad you were able to get it sorted. :D

I feel like I didn't even stand a chance to assist, but let me know if you get stumped on anything. :)

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

You were a big help, Khad—your suggestions kept me thinking! Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I think you're being too generous, but I appreciate your kindness. Thanks, Ben! :)

This discussion has been closed.