Chrome extension freezes

Options
khad
khad
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome Extension freezes PC for a few seconds when data is stored on network share.

Comments

• jeninec
    jeninec
    Community Member
    Options

I see this same freezing problem in Chrome. I'm on a T1 Research University network syncing to my Dropbox account. No shared drives involved. It is pretty irritating. Hope you haven't given up on working on this.

Jenine

• jeninec
    jeninec
    Community Member
    Options

I found another thread until the support agilebits site that mentioned turning off the Universal Unlock and that seems to have helped. More info here: support.agilebits.com/discussions/1password-38-for-mac-from-agilebits-website/976-1password-extension-in-chrome-hangs-when-i-enter-master-password

• jeninec
    jeninec
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind, it still freezes :(

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jenine,

I split your post from that other thread since the issue there was a network share, and you said you are not storing your data on a network share. The speed of your Internet connection and the fact that you are using Dropbox to sync your data should be irrelevant since 1Password accesses the data from your local file system.

Can you tell me a bit more about how the 1Password extension is freezing in Chrome? How long does it freeze? Does it happen when you click the toolbar button? When you use the CTRL+\ keyboard shortcut? Does it make a difference if 1Password is locked or unlocked? Could you please describe in as much detail as possible the steps you are taking, and what you are [not] seeing happen? With some additional information from you we can then provide you with specific assistance.

Thanks!

• cnolson100
    cnolson100
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeking a solution to a similar (perhaps the same) problem.

I just installed 1Password on my Windows 7 laptop, and encountered the following:

Specs:
    Windows 7
    Chrome (latest build)
    Using DropBox to sync across devices

Whenever I log in to a site, it prompts me to remember the password. Easy enough. I click remember, but the banner does not disappear. I click it again, and then a third time. Nothing. I click the "x" to exit the banner, still nothing. I exit out of Chrome.

When I check the 1Password application, I see that indeed three multiples of the same login have been saved. I've reinstalled the extension, made sure Windows 7 was up to date, restarted. Still the same experience.

I haven't tried re-installing the application since updating Windows (was pre sp 1). I'll try that next.

• oomeggieoo
    oomeggieoo
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same issue - the chrome extension spazzes out for me. It doesn't remember sites I've already logged information for, it doesn't x out when I press the x, and when I press "never for this site" it still comes back. It's driving me crazy :)

• Rayven01
    Rayven01
    Community Member
    edited June 2013
    Options

I get this issue periodically as well. It happens when the bar to save a new entry pops up. If you click the save button it does save the new entry, but the bar doesn't go away. It also doesn't go away if you click the X. If you click save multiple times it saves multiple entries. It doesn't happen every time but as I don't enter new passwords very often I couldn't say exactly how frequently. I usually just ignore it and it stays until I close the tab.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys,

I've seen this happen for a few users in Chrome. Try removing the extension, restarting Chrome and then reinstalling the extension again.

In all cases I've seen this fixes the problem. Let us know how it turns out!

• Rayven01
    Rayven01
    Community Member
    edited June 2013
    Options

I've done that already while attempting to find the non-existent way to auto-update password changes and I still have this issue periodically after uninstall/restart/reinstall. It does not happen every time, and in fact never seems to happen right after the browser opens, so if you are testing right after a restart that probably explains why it seems to go away when doing this.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We just released a new beta version of the 1Password Chrome extension: 3.9.18.BETA-2. Please try installing it and let me know if you are still having trouble. It sounds like at least @oomeggieoo was having the specific issue this release addresses, and I'm wondering if some other minor improvements won't help others as well.

Before you install the beta extension you will need to remove the existing extension from Chrome first.

1Password Chrome extension BETA

Note also that you will have to install the beta version in a different manner than the the stable version. Follow the instructions on the download page which list the steps and provide screenshots. The steps include dragging the CRX file from Windows Explorer onto Chrome's extension list.

• aapotts
    aapotts
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a very similar issues with 3.9.19.90. When opening a new tab, the browser freezes for about 5 seconds and then works fine. If I turn off the 1Password extension, this behavior immediately stops. I have tried removing the extension, restarting, and re-installing several times, no change. I am not using network storage for any part of 1Password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I haven't seen any other reports of this for quite a while and we haven't been able to reproduce it ourselves. What happens if you create a new Chrome profile and install only the 1Password extension in it?

This discussion has been closed.