Best way to split a large data file?

Options

I share a 1Password data file with another person via Dropbox, and we have about 900 secure notes split into about 100 different folders. We have four top-level folders, with all the notes stored in subfolders by client name (We're an IT consulting shop and we keep sensitive client info in 1Password - it has worked beautifully for the last couple years). I'm going to be starting a new company and will need to take about 1/3 of this data with me (stuff for my clients).

What's the best and quickest way to extract what I need from the existing data file and start a new one?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

First of all, thanks for using 1Password, @ACG! I'm glad it has been serving you well. Here's what I would do.

1. Select all the items you want to export. You can either use the "All" Smart Folder and select all the items at once in there, or you may find it easier to make a couple passes and export certain categories separately just so you can keep track.
    2. Select File > Export Selected > 1Password Interchange Format from the menu bar.
    3. Save the file with a sensible name.
    4. Import the file into another (perhaps empty) 1Password data file on another machine.

Please be aware that the 1PIF information is not encrypted and should be handled with care while in transit and securely deleted once the information is safely imported into an encrypted 1Password data file.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.