Suggestion Search field active on opening

stephen-m
stephen-m
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I have accumulated enough passwords that when I unlock the vault I have to go searching through a lengthy list for the item I want. Takes a few seconds. Often I use the search field. It would save time--and also save the extra step of having to click in the search field--if the cursor was located in the search field by default when the vault is first opened.

I can't see how that would slow anyone down. If someone didn't want to search, but rather to select a folder, for example, they'd have to click somewhere anyway, regardless of where the cursor is located by default.

Comments

• ttamm
    edited December 1969
    I'd like to second this request. Additionally, it would be useful if the "All" smart folder would be activated by default (or there would be an option to choose this behaviour through preferences - or to have an option of the search defaulting to global search, not just of the selected category). This combined with the previous feature request would make finding things in 1PW much easier and faster I think, rather than the current workflow where you first (1) have to think in which of the Vault categories is the required entry stored, then (2) select the category, (3) then atcivate search field, and (4) perform the search. The small change to the application behaviour would eliminate steps 1-3 :)
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    stephen-m wrote:
    Often I use the search field. It would save time--and also save the extra step of having to click in the search field--if the cursor was located in the search field by default when the vault is first opened.

In the current version of 1Password the focus is placed on the search field when 1Password is opened. Try upgrading and see how it works for your situation. You can select 1Password > Check For Updates.
  • ttamm
    edited February 2010
    Hi Dave. I tried after updating to 3.0.5-B10 and it doesn't appear to be working (i.e. the search field is not activated after opening 1PW. Previosuly, I was using the last stable release and the search field was not activated there either.) Something peculiar on my computer or have you changed the behaviour since (I'm using OS X 10.5.8 ).
  • ttamm
    edited December 1969
    Just wanted to ask about this question posted a while back. Dave mentioned in his post that the current version of 1PW (I think it was 3.0.4 at the time) opens with a focus on the search field. However I didn't see this behaviour in 3.0.4 nor in any of the later releases. Is this behaviour supposed to be there (i.e. it's not working as expected on my computer) or has it been removed? If the latter, I'm hoping you have plans to re-enable it in a future release.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I cant speak as to the default behavior I don't see that as well. I think maybe they changed it due to you now being able to CMD+F (when focus is not in search field) This places the cursor in the search field and sets the search to all.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    We have no plans to make focusing on the search field the default behaviour. cmd-f and cmd-option-f both allow you to search your data.
  • stephen-m
    stephen-m
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I opened 1P [version 3.2.2 (build 30657)] this morning, and to my surprise the cursor was blinking happily in the search field. Thank you for a nice feature upgrade!
This discussion has been closed.