New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Comments

• moleculezz
    moleculezz
    Community Member

You do use 3rd party cloud storage provider to host the 1Password files to sync across devices.
    Without this functionality, your software wouldn't be as compelling. Syncing across devices is one of the great features of your software.

You can still provide your own cloud hosted service as optional (which you are currently doing with 3rd party cloud storage service) , which means cross-platform efforts would require less work, as you quoted.

The sharing feature is not a must, but cross-platform is definitely needed IMO. But then again, I'm just one person with one opinion.

Thanks for building a great software. Hope you can make it greater in the future.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks again for your input, @moleculezz. I have passed it along to the developers, and I would be happy to pass any additional feedback you may have as well. :)

• arthurnn
    arthurnn
    Community Member

I would pay a extra licence and even work for free on weekends for Agilebits to make this work on linux, it is so frustrating to use the 1PasswordAnyware on my Ubuntu boxes.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We appreciate the offer, @arthurnn! I'll mention it to the developers. :)

• donspaulding
    donspaulding
    Community Member

Like @arthurnn, I too would pay for another license on Linux (having already bought the OSX version). As others have said, if a chrome or firefox extension was standalone, that'd be enough for me.

Currently I have read-only access to my passwords via 1Password Anywhere. Copy/pasting passwords across browser windows is painful, and I can't generate/store new passwords to my keychain. It was particularly annoying to have to reuse a less secure common password for this forum just to be able to leave this comment.

I appreciate the attitude of not announcing things until they're ready. However, after 3 years of forum posts, "we never say never" no longer sounds playful and coy as much as it sounds evasive. Is it really that hard to choose between A linux client is in our (short|medium|long)-term plans. and We have no intentions of creating a linux client at this time.? If this was a thread full of people who were unknown prospects clamoring for something they have no intention of buying, I would understand. But this is a thread full of otherwise-happily-paying users, why evade the question with a bunch of non-answers?

Desperately-wanting-to-give-you-more-money-ly yours,

Don

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I don't know of any current plans to create a Linux client, but I also didn't know about the Windows version until it was pretty far along. It was kept quite secret for a while.

• Tyrola
    Tyrola
    Community Member

Hi ;)

It would be very nice if we can get a linux version or the option to edit and add passwords in 1PasswordAnywhere. I would like to change my workstation from windows to linux but the missing 1Password app blocks it. 1Password is too important for my daily work, I can't imagine to work without that software.

Is it possible to fund it with Kickstarter? I am ready to support the development and I think i am not the only person here that thinks so.

Regards,
    Alexander

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the kind words about 1Password, @Tyrola. I don't know that initial funding is the issue, but I will certainly mention Kickstarter to the developers on your behalf. I know we've never done anything like that in the past, but that doesn't mean it can't happen in the future. It would surprise me if we went in that direction, though.

• explorigin
    explorigin
    Community Member

+1 for Linux browser extension support. I'm running the Windows version in Wine. That's fine but copy/pasting passwords sucks.

• Hey @explorigin welcome to the forums! Thanks for the +1 for Linux support. If we ever do release a Linux version we will let you know :)

Watch http://blog.agilebits.com for more details

• balupton
    balupton
    Community Member

Can you please stop saying unproductive things like "If we ever do release a Linux version we'll let you know", it's well intentioned sure, but in the end it means nothing.

Perhaps share the requirements for 1password to take such a thing onboard. Rather than saying you don't know what they are. If it is a matter of money, how much money do you need? We can crowd-fund it if it is a case of money. If it is a case of resources, hire me and then I'll do it with the crowdfunded money! Share what the requirements are, share what needs to be done to make this happen, that is customer service, that is progress.

Otherwise, you just annoy your customers, and drive them elsewhere. I no longer wish to be tied into Apple or Microsoft's walled garden, and I'd love to be able to move to Ubuntu, a platform and community I believe strongly in. Things like this means that I have to give up using the apps I love, and makes everything a major headache. That's why things like "if we ever do it, we'll let you know" is meaningless, as it translates to "keep your headache, if we ever want to remove your headache, we'll let you know" - see why it is poor customer service?

Can we start taking action on this in ways that produce results. I do love 1password, and I hate Lastpass for the reasons already mentioned in here. But otherwise, we will just need to build our own solution, and with the FOSS community, it will likely be a FOSS one itself, and that is a lot of wasted time for something that 1password can saturate, or at least empower the community to act. And even with this, the community still resents 1password for not helping, leaving spoiled brand reputation.

For instance, in a future without a product for linux, and a future with a community made product for linux using the published 1password APIs on how to interact with the database - both futures have 1password not doing anything, but one means happy customers, not angry ones.

In short:

1. Crowd-fund for the amount you'll need to do this
    2. Hire the people you need to do this
    3. Post the instructions so the community can do this
    4. Just tell us to nick off and take our headache somewhere else

Otherwise:

1. You get upset customers
    2. You miss out on new customers
    3. Your brand image is a greedy one, we won't do it, and we won't let you do it, because we will want the rewards if the opportunity is ever seized, so we'll disempower you in the meantime just on the odd chance we ever bother to do it, suckers

So please just do something.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2013

Thank you for following up on this, @balupton. :)

Post the instructions so the community can do this

There are at least a couple different tools that have been created which you might find helpful:

https://github.com/Roguelazer/onepasswordpy

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/1pass

There may be more that I don't know about offhand. We also document the 1Password data format so that you can design your own tools if you are willing and able.

I feel it prudent to include our "standard disclaimer" here. From our "You have secrets; we don’t. Why our data format is public" blog post:

Third party apps and 1Password data

Let me jump to the what has prompted this article before returning to the virtues of publicly detailing our data format. Recently there’s been progress on third party tools and applications that can read 1Password data, and there are some important factors to consider about these tools:

• Third party tools for reading 1Password data do not reflect a “break” in 1Password. They, like 1Password, require your Master Password in order to read your data.
    • We have to advise you to never enter your 1Password Master Password into anything that isn’t 1Password. We aren’t casting aspersions on the integrity or competence of any developers, but we simply can’t advise otherwise.
    • Third party tools are “third party”. Although we may sometimes help them understand the details of our data format, they are entirely independent of AgileBits. The fact that we may maintain a good relationship with them is not an endorsement of what they produce.
    • Third party tools exemplify the fact that there is no data lock in with 1Password.

The existence of third party tools for reading 1Password data has had people ask about the security implications of us being so open about our data format. Our openness is a good thing, and here’s why.

Apart from that, we don't make promises about the future because we would be very sad if we ever failed to deliver on a promise we made to customers (for any reasons — including ones beyond our control). We have no desire to slip into the vaporware business, so we always prefer to let the shipping software speak for itself. If 1Password is not the solution for you today, perhaps it will be someday, and we really appreciate you keeping it in mind.

If there is anything else I can help with in the meantime, please let me know.

Wishing you the best,

—khad

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member

I'm afraid I don't have enough time to read through all of the posts in the four pages on this thread, but I would also like to add a vote for the creation of 1Password for Linux.

Ubuntu is my choice of distribution.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @revenkyte. We appreciate your feedback.

• dandan565
    dandan565
    Community Member

+1 vote for 1Password for Linux please!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your vote!

• RAPWare
    RAPWare
    Community Member

+1 for both the browser plugins and the main management application on Linux.

• sunsetbrew
    sunsetbrew
    Community Member

+1 for a working chrome extension. The app would be nice, but i would be more than happy with the chrome extension.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, @RAPWare and @sunsetbrew!

• anotheral
    anotheral
    Community Member

+1 for a linux package. Not that I believe you'll ever do it, since it's been two years since this thread opened.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We've certainly never promised anything. We aren't in the vaporware business. We prefer to let our shipping work speak for itself. Thanks for letting us know you are interested. It does help to know how much interest there is. It's step "zero" in the process of developing a good product.

• onthego
    onthego
    Community Member

Here is another +1 for a Linux solution.

We are a combo OSX, IOS, Android and Linux environment at home (yes, no Winders and happily so). Considering you have a port for Android, the full Linux kernel shouldn't be that big of a stretch. More of an issue for packaging, which isn't much of a stretch for RPM or DEB. I'm not a customer due to no support for Linux but would be in a heartbeat if I could provide for all our OSs.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @onthego,

Consider your vote added - we'd love to have you for a customer :)

• cybersmog
    cybersmog
    Community Member

+1 for a native linux version or at least a Google Chrome extension

• dauntless
    dauntless
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

I have been a customer since 2008 and have purchased every upgrade available for Mac OS. I recently upgraded to version 4. I love what you are doing and have used the anywhere feature many times. You've got the best client on the mac, you've now got a client for win, you've got mobile versions (that I also purchased) but never use them for some odd reason. If you released a client for debian/ubuntu I think you'd be surprised at the demand and it would do nothing but grow once people realized they had another option. I'm just curious what the reasoning is NOT to do a linux client. Please don't make me use lastpass on my ubuntu clients. It's ironic, I just had to reset my password for this forum because I am writing this on a precise desktop (didn't have dropbox installed). +1 for a linux client/browser extension

• MoxZ
    MoxZ
    Community Member

+1 vote for Linux native app here. Debian/Ubuntu compatible.
    I haven't bought the app yet still testing it in windows and osx and it is very promising, an native Linux client and you had me at hello.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for all your continued feedback on this folks. I don't have anything new to report at this time, but I assure you that your voices are being heard. :)

• Peter Guthrie
    Peter Guthrie
    Community Member

+1 another user of 1password on Mac, Windows, Android and iOS who would like Ubuntu Linux support

• Oscar Rendón
    Oscar Rendón
    Community Member

As a 1password customer during the last years I can say I love this product, there is a lot of software for storing/retrieving passwords, but what really shines with 1password is the O.S integration :)

I recently moved to Linux, (after 4 years using a MAC) and I found a pretty cool (and fancy enough) Linux equivalent for almost every piece of software I had on my mac, except for 1password, copy/paste from Dropbox or Wine is anoying, hope you guys can build a extension/client for linux.

This discussion has been closed.