How To: Manually save a Login item with more than two form fields

musicmegga
musicmegga
Community Member
edited September 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi. I log into the name server where I work via browser. (Sorry - I don't feel right to share the URL) - the three fields are
Server: server.com (example)
Username: Boss (example)
Password:

The first two are already filled in when I browse to the site. when I use 1P to fill in the pw, it changes the Server field from server.com to Boss. why does it do that? how can I stop it from happening?
I have already changed from "Fill in and Submit" to "Fill In only" for this site.

Also, at the bottom of the record for this site in 1P, there are "All Fields". I've added the field names - i.e. Server -- server.com -- type text -- (not checked)
The Username field and the PW field both have a blue checkmark to denote each one.

I thought by identifying the field names, 1P would understand that the field named Server rec'vs the input server.com. But it does not.
Thanks for any help.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry that you're having this problem. Please try saving a new Login manually like this:

1. Visit the site's login page.
    2. Enter all of your credentials, but DO NOT submit the form.
    3. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    4. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    5. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Manually saving a new Login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Saving a new Login item allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

We always recommend saving Logins via the browser extension. If you create them in the main 1Password application, then 1Password cannot "learn" the correct form fields.

I hope that helps. Please let me know. If you're still having trouble, could you share the URL (perhaps even just in a PM to me) so we can take a look? We'd love to get this resolved for you.

Thanks!

• mark2ain
    mark2ain
    Community Member

Here's an example. https://www.eftps.com/eftps/ is a site for making online payments to the IRS. You enroll (giving them banking info) and they send you a pin. Once you have the pin, you log on to the site using your Social Security number as your user name. (The number is broken into the usual 3 fields, but 1Password seems to handle that.) Then the site wants the 4 digit pin number it issued. Then it wants a password you've created. Saving this in 1Password places the pin in the password field. Changing the password field to contain your personal password leads 1Password to fill the password into the pin field. There is no way I can see to tell 1Password that it needs to be entering 3 different values into 3 different fields in order to keep the log in from failing. I followed the above suggestion, entered the log in info manually, and clicked the plus button. But that just seemed to take me to the edit window. What I need is a way to add a submission field. Is there an answer to that? Does your new version have that capability?

• mark2ain
    mark2ain
    Community Member

And my god, how did I get that avatar?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I use EFTPS regularly myself. In fact, I just logged in again to test it. If you follow my steps above, you will get a working Login. When you fill the fields on the page and then click the + button you will be given a chance to modify the Login. You don't need to do that, but you can optionally change the title or make notes if you want (step 4). Then don't forget to click the Save button (step 5). You'll have a working Login. It sounds like you saw the details of the item you were about to save and then skipped the most important step (5). :)

And my god, how did I get that avatar?

There are a selection of default avatars on Vanilla forum. You are randomly assigned one if you don't set one. Feel free to change it.

Let me know how it goes when you carefully follow all of the steps above. I'm sure we can get things working as well for you as they do for me and other EFTPS account holders.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.