1Password for iOS not synching (both iPhone and iPad)

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

I just made a couple of password changes and ensured they are correctly added to 1Password (Mac). Everything there is fine...Go & Fill works fine for both of them.

I made sure the latest information was synched to my Dropbox account. Then I went to my iPhone to see if the new passwords were there...they were not. There is a red exclamation mark on the Settings Gear icon and also on Sync, but no other indication of what the error is. I did a manual sync with Dropbox from my iPhone and checked the passwords again...they still had not changed. The red exclamation mark is still there.

I then checked my iPad and everything was the same...the two changed passwords don't show up, even after a manual sync with Dropbox. Interestingly, on my iPad there is NOT a red exclamation mark on Settings or Sync. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Hi @LarryMcJ,

To see the error, tap on the blue Dropbox icon, and it'll then show you the error message, tell us what it said. Note that you do need to wait for the sync progress to finish first before tapping on it.

Also, is Dropbox running with a green checkmark on your menubar on OS X?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Mike, I tried tapping on the blue Dropbox icon...it told me nothing. I force-quit 1P on my iPhone and when I restarted it, the red exclamation mark was gone.

But the main problem still exists on both my iPhone and iPad. Sync to Dropbox is working fine...green check on desktop menu bar icon. But if I make a password change, or any change, on my desktop, those change do NOT make it to the iOS devices, even forcing a manual sync on them. Nor, does a change I make on the iOS devices ever make it to the desktop version.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

OK...figured this out myself. In Dropbox the 1password.agilekeychain file was (and always has been forever) in the Dropbox root directory. My desktop version was synching just fine with this. However, the iOS devices were synching to Dropbox/1Password/1password.agilekeychain. Obviously, one of the iOS devices had created this.

In any event, I turned off Dropbox synching on both iOS devices, stopped 1Password synching to Dropbox on the desktop (in Preferences), deleted both the 1Password folder and the root file for 1password.agilekeychain in Dropbox and started over.

First told 1Password desktop to start using Dropbox. Waited for the sync to finish and then on both iOS devices I force-quit 1Password (not sure if this step was actually necessary)...restarted it and turned on Dropbox sync. On both devices I turned on Dropbox sync...was shuffled off to Dropbox iOS to confirm this action, then had to login back into 1Password, wait for the sync to complete, and that fixed the problem.

• Hi @LarryMcJ,

I'm glad you got it fixed. We did switch over to the 1Password subfolder as the default location for all 1Password apps from now on. However, the iOS app should've automatically detected the data file in the root directory of 1Password and not create the separate data file. We'll keep working on improving the detection system.

Thanks!

• mitchellzone
    mitchellzone
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar issue with 4.1 on my iPhone. I had both desktop and iOS versions correctly using DropBox, but they were out of sync--different data on mobile vs. desktop, although making changes in one place would sometimes correctly reflect in a change in the other platform. Not sure how this was possible as they were both using the same file (I didn't have a DropBox folder, I had it in the root, and both apps were apparently using this).

I was trying to follow the same steps LarryMcJ above was using to get my databases back in sync. However, after I deleted the file from DropBox, deleted the data from the iOS app, and put the data back in DropBox via the desktop app (it still puts it in the root, BTW, not in a folder), I'm locked out from the iOS app. The first and only thing it does is ask me for the master password, and the master password does NOT work. It has my correct hint phrase and everything, but the password doesn't open the app. So, I have no access to the settings or anything. Even deleting and re-downloading the iOS app brings me back to the same screen.

How do I get the iOS app to start over as if I'd never installed it before, if I can't get to the settings? Thanks.

/mike

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password 3.8 does put the data file in the root of the Dropbox folder. 1Password 3.9 puts it in a subfolder. You must just be using 3.8 which is the version from our website rather than the Mac App Store. They are essentially identical except for small differences like this.

If you have all of your data in 1Password on your Mac, you can simply remove the 1Password app from your device and reinstall it to start over.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, khad. you might not have read the entire thread...I figured out the problem, and as MikeT stated, the 1P keychain used to reside in the root, but t was changed, As user of 1P since its inception, a retired developer, and someone who used to provide volunteer support here (before I retired and no longer have any spare time , I'm pretty sure I know which version I'm using :-) I have the MAS version. Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for any confusion. 3.9 used to put the data file in the root, but that was changed a long time ago. 3.8 still does so. I take it things are working well now, then? Please let me know if there is still anything else we can help with. :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

They're working just great...thanks so much for following up. I posted my solution (above)...in my post from 08 February 2013 - 03:11 PM.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2013
    Options

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :) Also, I think I see part of the confusion as well. I was replying to mitchellzone's post earlier not one of yours.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

• tolgao
    tolgao
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. I created a login item on 1Password for Mac (Ver. 3.8.21), and item was synced to both my iPhone & iPad via Dropbox with no problem. But later I erased the same item on 1Password 4 for iPad. Now the same item still exists on 1Password on Mac even though I deleted on iPad. Same login item was also deleted on iPhone via Dropbox sync. The problem is with 1Password for Mac not syncing correctly with Dropbox. Can you help me with this issue ? How can I stop 1Password synching to Dropbox on the desktop ? I can't figure that out. Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tolgao,

Select Help > Troubleshooting > Clear Cache from the menu bar in 1Password for Mac and let me know if that helps.

• tolgao
    tolgao
    Community Member
    Options

khad,

Thank you for your reply. I found out about "Clear Cache" solution few minutes ago. It solves the problem.
    But the problem is: I have to "clear cache" on 1P Mac every time I update an item on iPad 1P. However
    I want an item deleted automatically on 1P Mac, when I delete an item on 1P iPad after Dropbox Sync.
    Is that possible ? If it is possible what is the solution to this issue ?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have to "clear cache" on 1P Mac every time I update an item on iPad 1P.

That definitely should not be the case. Please email us a Diagnostics Report.

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• tolgao
    tolgao
    Community Member
    Options

I sent the report to support email. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks again.
    Tolga

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion. :)

• tolgao
    tolgao
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the confusion. I forgot that I already sent support request before I asked help on this thread. Now Marshall is helping me out.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! I'm sure everything will be resolved soon. Thanks for your patience.

• Spacespartan
    Spacespartan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys, I just tried to sync with Dropbox and its giving me a error message, that the drpbox app on my iPad is using integration that is not supported by 1Password. It was working fine the last time I synced. Would appreciate some insight on this. :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2013
    Options

Hi @Spacespartan,

It sounds like you might be using the old version 3 of 1Password on your device. Does the 1Password icon on your home screen match one of the first two here?

If so, the message you saw had a button to tap for more information. It linked to this:

If you use 1Password 3 for iOS and Dropbox sync, take action by September 1

Please be sure to read the post for complete details, and let me know if you still have questions after reading it all. I would be happy to further assist you.

Thanks!

• MrDenis
    MrDenis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I've been trying to use 1Password for a while but I can't get it to sync AT ALL. I use 4.2.7 on iOS and 3.8.21 on Mac. Both are synced to Dropbox, I can see the key file in the DB root and no folder and I've tried to clear the cache. Still, nothing propagates from one platform to the other. Ever.

Any chance someone knows what's going on?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrDenis,

I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. If you are syncing with the same Dropbox user account and you only have one data file in that Dropbox account it should "just work". However, it doesn't sound like that is your experience.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.