Crash in Chrome: "Click this balloon to reload the extension" [resolved in Chrome extension 3.9.21]

EtnaMoose
EtnaMoose
Community Member
edited February 2014 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Running 1Password (build 32009) on Chrome I keep getting the message: "1Password Beta has crashed. Click this balloon to reload the extension." Any idea what's happening and how to stop it?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. Let's get it sorted out. The version of the main 1Password app probably isn't relevant to this. What versions of (1) Chrome, and (2) the 1Password Chrome extension?

What happens if you just remove the extension from Chrome and then reinstall the stable version of it?

• EtnaMoose
    EtnaMoose
    Community Member

I'm using Chrome Version 28.0.1500.29. Extension is 3.9.17.90. I tried removing the extension and reinstalling once and the problem reappeared. It's no great hassle clicking on the "balloon" each time I reactivate Chrome but I was getting a little concerned that maybe something untoward was going on. Thanks for looking into it.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

You're using an unstable beta version of Chrome. Please try the current stable version of Chrome and let me know if you are having trouble in Chrome 27.

• EtnaMoose
    EtnaMoose
    Community Member

Huh. Didn't realize I was using a beta version. That took care of it. Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• amityweb
    amityweb
    Community Member

I am also getting this now. Chrome version 28.0.1500.71.

I have been using 1Password for a long time with no problems, but recently, passed couple of weeks, this started happening. It reports this error when I login.

Here's some info that may be relevant... I have automatic sign in into my Mac, then I start a bunch of applications on Login, then I have a script to run a sleep sleep command to lock the computer. Its so I can shutdown the Mac at night, then when I get into work in the morning I can login and all my apps are all up and running already. Saves a lot of time. So could something in this process be breaking 1Password?

Thanks

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry that you are having this problem as well, @amityweb. We are seeing a small number of reports of this specific symptom, but we haven't yet narrowed down the cause of it.

To help us track down the issue more quickly (for both you and others), could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• tin_can
    tin_can
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem as the original poster; however, after clicking the balloon, it appears that the 1Password Chrome Extension is still working.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Please do email us a Diagnostics Report as requested. We're trying to track down the source of this and would love to have more data on the issue. It could help not only yourself but others as well. :)

Thanks!

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member

Hi, I have this issue with the same version of Chrome, i.e 28.0.1500.71, and 1Password extension version 3.9.19.90. I have run the diagnostics tool and can send it to you for information to try and resolve this issue. Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry that you are having some trouble, @alexmidd. We would love to receive your Diagnostics Report. Thank you!

• Mike Martin
    Mike Martin
    Community Member

Hi @khad. Having a similar issue, chrome 28.0.1500.71 and 1Password 3.9.19.90. Just generated the diagnostic report, and will send shortly. I typically see the issue when I am running a GoToMeeting (presenting or not - doesn't matter). I actually get logged out of OSX, and then have to log in, and re-start all the apps that were previously open.

Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Just generated the diagnostic report, and will send shortly.

Thanks! We'll be able to better assist you that way.

I typically see the issue when I am running a GoToMeeting (presenting or not - doesn't matter). I actually get logged out of OSX, and then have to log in, and re-start all the apps that were previously open.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, that sounds impossible. Do you mean that an extension crash in Chrome logs you out of your OS X user account without any interaction? Or do you manually log out and then back in to get things working? You can reply to these questions in your email so we have all the information in the same place.

Cheers!

• ryharv
    ryharv
    Community Member
    edited August 2013

I have been having the same issue for a couple of weeks now. I am using Chrome and the Chrome extension on Windows. I also use Chrome's single sign-in or whatever it's called to get the same extensions on my Mac, and I have no problems.

Anyhow, I am using Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m on Windows, and the 1password extension 3.9.19.90. I believe that both are up to date.

When I start my computer, I get a pop-up down by the Windows clock that says "1password extension failed ... click this balloon to reload it." If I forget to click that window or can't get to it in time, I have to manually reload it in Chrome before it shows up so I can use it.

Maybe it started when either Chrome or the extension automatically updated a couple weeks back.

Is there an AgileBits diagnostic tool for Windows? Happy to help figure this out.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password for Windows. Then attach the report to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• mdehlwes
    mdehlwes
    Community Member

I noticed that the extension only crashes on the first Chrome launch
    after logging in. It doesn't crash when quitting Chrome and reopening
    it.

I then noticed that Chrome seems to be running already when I login.
    It was news to me that Chrome adds itself to the list of Login Items.
    After removing Chrome from the Login Items for my user, it doesn't
    open automatically on logging in.
    Now the extension doesn't crash anymore.

Nonetheless, you should make your extension
    robust enough so it can handle the being started on login use case.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

This is very strange news. I'll mention it to the team here. Thanks, @mdehlwes. In our experience it is actually related to extension syncing not starting on login, but we'll see if such a thing helps any other users. I'm wondering if it is just a strange coincidence in your case. In any event, I'm glad things are working well for you. We'll investigate further.

Cheers!

• Brian Kennedy
    Brian Kennedy
    Community Member

"I noticed that the extension only crashes on the first Chrome launch after logging in. It doesn't crash when quitting Chrome and reopening it."

I'm seeing the same thing with Chrome 28.0.1500.95 in OSX 10.8.4. I'll try to generate and send a diagnostic report later today.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2013

Upon further testing, it does appear that @mdehlwes was correct. We've seen the problem resolve itself once Chrome was removed from the login items in the OS X user account.

Could that apply in your case, Brian?

• Brian Kennedy
    Brian Kennedy
    Community Member

That resolved my issue as well. Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• mdehlwes
    mdehlwes
    Community Member

Hmmm. The problem has returned, even though Chrome isn't on the list of login items.

• mdehlwes
    mdehlwes
    Community Member

See my email from Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM with diagnostic report.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mdehlwes,

If you've already emailed us, we'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion here in the forum. Or do you mean to say that you have not received a reply yet? If so, please PM me with the email address you sent it from. I'm not seeing anything in our entire support system from the email address you used to sign up for this forum, but we certainly want to help.

The quickest resolution I've seen is to switch to Chrome Canary where Google fixed this problem.

• jeangeorg
    jeangeorg
    Community Member

I get the same crash problem:
    Chrome Version 29.0.1547.76
    1 Password extension 3.9.19.90
    Mac OSX 10.8.5
    1password datafile shared in dropbox
    When I reload the extension everything works fine. The problem s at Chrome startup only.

• jeangeorg
    jeangeorg
    Community Member

Just removed Chrome for login items and it seems not to crash anymore.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jeangeorg,

I'm glad to hear that removing Chrome from the login items has fixed your issue. If you have any further issues, we'd be happy to help :)

• VicG
    VicG
    Community Member

I am having the same problem with OS 10.8.5 and Chrome 30.0.1599.69. Chrome is not in my log in items. This is a new development that has been happening since the last Chrome update.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @VicG,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with Chrome. Since Chrome is not in your list of login items, I'd like you to try disabling extension sync in Chrome > Preferences > Settings > Advanced Sync Settings. Then remove and re-install all Chrome extensions.

Please let me know how this works for you!

This discussion has been closed.