Losing the ability to use 1password to sign onto sites in windows 7 after running ccleaner

Options

Every time I run CCleaner I lose the ability to use 1password to log into sites. I have to re-enter my credentials to re-save them when asked again or it 1password just won't ask to save them. Why would this happen when the database is kept separate from IE? I'm not deleting form data or passwords when I use CCleaner. This happen all the time. Please help.

Comments

• JerrySec
    JerrySec
    Community Member
    Options

Is there something I'm missing here? A setting? Thanks for any help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JerrySec,

CCleaner, and other cache clearing tools can create problems for the 1Password extension by removing the SQLite file that the extension references when auto-filling. Re-starting your browser should rebuild this file and allow 1Password to perform normally again.

In general though, I do want to caution you against running cache clearing tools. If for some reason data that you have saved via the extension doesn't get synced over to the main application, running this tool will delete that data and you will lose the unsynced logins. Which could get messy :)

• JerrySec
    JerrySec
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way to save a back up of this file before cleaning the system? I don't like to have my temp files or cache build up and I do a a cleaning at least once a month for security reasons and to keep my system running good. Thanks Megan.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

hi @JerrySec,

Unfortunately, there's no way to back-up this file. I'm not saying that you will lose data if you run this tool, but from the description of this issue, it does sound like CCleaner is creating some sort of a problem for the 1Password extension.

To keep your cache clear, I recommend trying the "Delete Browser History on Exit" button in IE.

If you're set on using CCleaner however, you could try disabling all options in the tool, then re-enabling them one at a time to try and determine which option might be causing the trouble. Once you find the trouble-some one, just leave it disabled.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't use the app, but look for an option like "DOM storage" or "HTML5 storage". You want to make sure it isn't wiping that out.

• JerrySec
    JerrySec
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks khad

This discussion has been closed.