1Password For All Devices + MAS/Direct Purchases

I'm interested in buying 1Password to use on all of my devices, however I had a couple of questions.

I downloaded the 30 day trial from the website, but am likely going to purchase a Windows version and iOS version also. There is a slight chance that I will need a family licence after purchase (I'll be the guinea pig :-) ). I would like to purchase direct from the MAS as I would eventually like the iCloud sync functions rather than Dropbox. Is all of this do-able for me?

My second question is about the iOS version, and I know this is not the correct place for it but it is related to the desktop version. I can't demo the iOS app obviously, but I'm wondering if I need it if I have a Dropbox account or iCloud syncing enabled on my iPhone? I imagine I would. Following on from that, I understand that to take advantage of 1Password on my iPhone I would need to use the built in browser. I love using mobile Safari, and the way it syncs and integrates with Desktop Safari is a big plus point. Does the 1Password browser offer the same functionality?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tomdot,

I'm so glad to hear you're considering 1Password as your password management system. :)

The licensing terms of the App Store are very similar to our previous Family License. From Macworld's Mac App Store FAQ:

"You can install apps bought from the Mac App Store on any and every Mac that you personally own and use."

"Apps don't check to see if you've using an iTunes-authorized Mac. They can ask you to verify your Apple ID and password, but that's a single check and it's just to verify you are who you say you are. Once your identity is verified, that's it. There's no authorizing or deauthorizing or counting of different Macs."

"Apps are purchased for and owned by a user linked to a single Apple ID. But if you log in with that ID on all the Macs in your household, you can download and install your apps on each one."

http://www.macworld.com/article/156962/2011/01/mac_app_store_faq.html

Essentially this means that you can get the equivalent of a family license through the MAS, simply use the same AppleID to log in on your family members' computers to install 1Password. If you do purchase from the MAS and require a license for Windows as well, please email our support team (support@ agilebits .com) with your MAS receipt so you don't have to pay full price for the Windows license (because paying full price for software is never fun!)

To automatically sync your data between 1Password 4 for iOS and 1Password 3 for Mac, you do need Dropbox. However, when 1Password 4 for Mac is released (soon!), we will have other sync options available. (Please note, that any purchases of 1Password 3 for Mac during 2013 will be eligible for a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac when it is released!)

You are correct, in order to take advantage of 1Password's awesome auto-login feature, you do need to use 1Browser, which is slightly different than mobile Safari. Unfortunately, at this point, 1Browser doesn't offer desktop integration, but our team is pretty great at innovating, so who knows what we'll be able to offer in the future!

I hope this starts to answer your questions, but we're here if you'd like to know anything else :)

• tomdot
    tomdot
    Community Member

Thank you for getting back to me - it's been really helpful.

I will say I am worried about the iOS purchase because it seems like it could cause me a bit more hassle than I would like. For instance, logging into the standard apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Gmail etc could mean several switches between 1Password and the app in question. I suppose though that with never signing out of apps that this will be at a minimum.

Also, I notice in the trial that logging in with Apple ID is a touch fiddly because 1Password won't autofill. If I'm constantly having to log into my Apple account then I could see that posing a problem.

• tomdot
    tomdot
    Community Member

I apologise for the double post but I don't seem to be able to edit my comment via my iPhone.

I'm also wondering how 1Password works with third party apps? For instance use some apps on my MacBook that require password on start up - is this catered for? Can I take a leap and ask whether 1Password is more for web logins than actual apps or programs on your computer/device?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tomdot,

I will say I am worried about the iOS purchase because it seems like it could cause me a bit more hassle than I would like. For instance, logging into the standard apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Gmail etc could mean several switches between 1Password and the app in question. I suppose though that with never signing out of apps that this will be at a minimum.

You are correct: 1Password is unable to automatically sign you in to other apps automatically. This is due to some strict regulations Apple has put into place regarding how apps are allowed to communicate with each other. Until those regulations change, my general workflow involves manually inputting my username (which is generally pretty easy to type) and then copying and pasting my password from 1Password.

That being said, check out our blog post about Apps that Love 1Password to see what apps have added 1Password integration to allow automatic login!

logging in with Apple ID is a touch fiddly because 1Password won't autofill.

When you have difficulties with one website, the solution is often to try manually saving a new login:

• Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary
    • Click the + button in the corner.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

I'm also wondering how 1Password works with third party apps?

At this point, there is some third party app integration with 1Password 4 for Mac: "You can choose to enable support for Alfred, LaunchBar, and Quicksilver, allowing you to quickly search and open Logins from the Mac’s great productivity utilities." (from our 1Password 4 for Mac is Here! blogpost.) We would love to add more in the future ... stay tuned!

This discussion has been closed.