Does Deleting a Vault also Delete the .agilekeychain in Dropbox?

ununnilium
ununnilium
Community Member

I recently moved from the beta version of 1Password 4 to the MAS version. In doing so, I found that I needed to reattach additional vaults I'd set up in the 1Password 4 beta. The neat thing about this is that double clicking the .agilekeychain file allowed me to assign a new tint color to the additional vaults. I didn't like the tint color I chose when I initially created it. This made me wonder if I could reassign tint colors by deleting a vault and then reattaching it. When I went to the "Delete Vault..." menu item, it presented me with the following:

Are you sure you want to delete the 'XXX' vault?

All information stored in this vault will be destroyed.

I believe 1Password 4 is using it's own internal database stored in the app sandbox. It isn't clear if "All information" refers to just this data or also the data in the .agilekeychain bundle that syncs with the internal database. I haven't gotten up the courage to test this. It would be great if this dialog box specified whether the .agilekeychain bundle will also be removed.

Cheers,

Colin

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @ununnilium. Good question. :)

Short answer: deleting a 1P4 vault will not delete any keychain file it might still be associated with (e.g. in my Folder Sync example below).

I recently moved from the beta version of 1Password 4 to the MAS version.

Any issues? I'd be impressed in light of:

Do not upgrade to the Mac App Store version if you're currently using betas right now.

But back to the topic at hand.

When I went to the "Delete Vault..." menu item, it presented me with the following: …

I believe 1Password 4 is using it's own internal database stored in the app sandbox.

Yup, it's using the Cloud Keychain format.

It isn't clear if "All information" [post-"Delete Vault…"] refers to just this data or also the data in the .agilekeychain bundle that syncs with the internal database.

The former. @MartyS mentioned a Dropbox usage example of how the latter can be undesirable (or worse).

Reminds me of why deleting 1P4 app better not delete its data! :O

It would be great if this dialog box specified whether the .agilekeychain bundle will also be removed.

Here's a scenario for that:

If you refer to the Create New Vault image in my recent post you'll see it says "… and keep it in sync." After creating that vault if you open Preferences > Sync it'll look like:

Select Change Syncing and this sheet appears:

I enabled (checked) Delete data from the folder to show the WARNING; it's disabled by default.

That's where you have a choice to retain or delete an Agile Keychain (which is actually a Package folder), while its associated vault remains intact.

I haven't gotten up the courage to test this.

Got more courage now? :)

Always best to have backups as a safety net, especially before attempting risky or uncertain actions.

Hopefully that sufficiently answers your question!

This discussion has been closed.