Install went wrong

Gordon101
Gordon101
Community Member

Probably operator error - but I appear not to have to data as far as 1PW4 is concerned. I still have 27MB in Dropbox as an AgileKeychain. Did the install for App Store. Said quit version 3 did that. The sequence here is not at all certain, but events did happen. Clicked on 1PW4 dock icon to start it. Saw new UI, but nothing in terms of data. Got a message about uninstalling 1PW3 extension - Use Safari exclusively. Did the uninstall and than installed 1PW4 extension. 1PW is in System Preferences to start up on boot - it does not. I did not perform the dummy entry of a login, since I knew I had nothing saved/created in several days and I had rebooted the PC in that period. That may be the failure on my part.

When I start 1PW from dock, mini 1PW or Finder, I get a screen, but nothing it is as if I never entered any data.

At no time during the install did I see anything that looked like a data conversion, but I did see a screen that stated an installation existed and I was asked to enter my Master Password.

Suggestions?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @Gordon101. I'm sorry you're having this trouble with 1P4. Let's get it working properly!

You mention having a 27MB Agile Keychain in Dropbox. Are you syncing that with 1Password anywhere else?

You mention you "get a screen" when you start 1P4 now. Can you describe what that looks like or post an image? And are you seeing it before, after, or without entering your Master Password?

You mention you "did see a screen that stated an installation existed and I was asked to enter my Master Password". Was that the first time after running 1P4 after upgrading from 1P3 and what happened when you entered your Master Password then?

Since it sounds like your original Agile Keychain is still okay the easiest way to fix this might be to start over and make sure 1P4 finds your keychain this time. I can help you with specific steps to do that once I have a better understanding of the current state you're in. :)

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon. Thanks!

• stumantexas
    stumantexas
    Community Member

I think I have the same or very similar scenario - i get the are you new or used 1password before screen, but cant get 4 to recognize my keychain file in dropbox. Hitting open about a million times has not helped. Other systems on 1pass3 are just fine using dropbox.

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

Gordon here

I decided to restore with Time Machine to a condition just prior to my attempted upgrade.

Question -

Is there a video or set of screen shots showing what the upgrade should look like?

Answers for sjk

1PW on the Mac syncs through DropBox to two iPads, two iPhones nod my wife's windows PC.

When I fire up 1PW I got the normal start up screen. I say that based on looking at the images on your website and guessing.

I do not recall anything happening after I enter my master password. Certainly nothing that indicated a database. Was updated, or a new screen appearing.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

Hello again, @Gordon101. Thanks for the followup answers.

Did you only restore the 1P3 application from Time Machine, overwriting your 1P4 upgrade? Do you have a working version of 1P3 on your Mac right now? And was that version purchased from the Mac App Store or the AgileBits web site? I'm trying to determine the current state of 1Password on your system. :)

Is there a video or set of screen shots showing what the upgrade should look like?

Yup. In 1Password 4, the Help > Welcome to 1Password 4 menu item opens the same window that should have opened automatically the first time you ran 1P4 earlier. Or you can open this page in a browser to see it:

Welcome to 1Password 4

When I fire up 1PW I got the normal start up screen. I say that based on looking at the images on your website and guessing.

That's 1P3 again now?

I do not recall anything happening after I enter my master password. Certainly nothing that indicated a database. Was updated, or a new screen appearing.

After upgrading from 1P3 to 1P4 you'd normally go through some setup steps and see the Welcome to 1Password 4 mentioned above when 1P4 is first run. If that didn't happen I'm not sure why not. Like I mentioned in my first reply, starting the upgrade process over again might be the easiest thing to do. But that isn't a good idea before 1P3 is working properly again now. And there might be a few files to delete first.

I appreciate your help getting this resolved!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @stumantexas. Your issue sounds like what was reported here:

Can't select dropbox folder from initial setup

Can you let me know if that helps you resolve it? Thanks!

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

sjk my restore was a complete restore of the entire drive. I knew Safari had been changed and I suspected other things also. My newest clone was two days old, so I chose to wait the eight hours for a TM restore.

It is my hope I will be exactly where I was before the install attempt. The only trouble that may happen is recovery of a Parallels virtual machine that I have on another back up system.

When I get this up tomorrow I determine where I am in the 1PW3. I will look at the videos and images. Thanks for the links.

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

sjk additional comments.

I will make it a point to take screen shots next time. Please let me know what files to look for and/or delete.

Also if you are likely to be the only person working on my issue, what are your expected work days. I am retired so one day is pretty much like another.

In my previous post, I did suggest my restore was completed, but that is not correct. According to Time Machine it will be restored about 12:15am eastern time on Friday. When I get up tomorrow I will start working through things to get my virtual machine back, determine the status of 1PW3 and study the links your provided.

Assuming all is well with 1PW3, would there be any advantage with exporting a PIF file?

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

sjk - it is Gordon again

Well Time Machine was wrong - it did not take until after midnight. I have determined that 1PW3 is back and working just as it did before the attempted installation. I am tired, got up about 5:30AM this morning and am ready for some sleep.

I will go ahead and export a PIF file just incase that might be useful before I try the next upgrade. I don't know how the MAS will react since I have downloaded the upgrade once. I know they keep records of what one buys/downloads, but they also allow folks to get a second copy if something is accidentally deleted.

At this point I am just relieved that my extreme approach to backups did allow me to return to where I was an hour before the upgrade. Tomorrow is another day and I am sure the information on upgrading you linked me to will make a large difference.

Finally - I appreciate you have to abide by the MAS rules, but clearly there needs be a way a major upgrade like from 3 to 4 can generate revenue of AgileBits. If you folks don't get income, we don't get software. But as you would expect Mr. Cook does not call me any more often for suggestions than Mr. Jobs did.

• Hi @Gordon101,

Apple does not have a limit of how many times you can download the same app purchases. You can always download any app your purchases without additional costs, and they know how you bought because the apps are automatically registered to your AppleID account.

We don't really have regular hours, we try to provide support 24x7 as much as possible, other folks will step in during the weekend to help out.

For now, after you get a good night sleep, I'd recommend opening the main 1Password app you have now, and go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > General. Take a screenshot of this, so we can see what your data path is now.

Thanks!

• Gordon101
    Gordon101
    Community Member

I believe this is the default path.

Users; MyName;Dropbox;1Password.agilekeychain

Is there a way for users, as opposed to administrators, to post images?

• Hi Gordon101,

Admins don't have anything special when it comes to images. We upload our images to our own image server and then link it here.

There should be a button in your reply box, looks like an image:

You put in the link to your image there. A popular image sharing site is http://imgur.com, you can use that if you want.

This discussion has been closed.