If you use 1Password 3 for iOS and Dropbox sync, take action by September 1

woodenbrain
woodenbrain
Community Member
edited August 2013 in iOS

TUAW reported today: "Dropbox ending support for 1Password 3 in September".

But that link now redirects to TUAW's home page, and the linked AgileBits blog post on the matter also seems to no longer exit.

Explanation, please?

Comments

• dmac
    dmac
    Community Member
    edited August 2013

Yep. I'm pretty concerned about this issue, also. I'm guessing that the article was pulled because it should have been embargoed until 8 AM Pacific time, but that's just a guess. Here's the RSS feed in question.

http://imgur.com/68SFohU

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That headline is misleading, and without the full story it causes needless confusion. I'm sorry to see that TUAW did that.

For the full story, please see our blog post:

If you use 1Password 3 for iOS and Dropbox sync, take action by September 1

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• woodenbrain
    woodenbrain
    Community Member

I understand now, thanks. I did think TUAW was referring to the Mac version 3 (which AFAIK is still current until vers 4 comes out of beta).

But for that reason, I think your choice to move this thread to the iPhone forum and rename it (to refer to "1Password 3 for iOS") was not the best solution. It clears up the confusion, but anyone else who was misled by TUAW will still be searching the Mac forums. :)

Suggest re-naming this thread "1Password 3 for Mac will continue to work with Dropbox" and moving it back to the Mac forum. The blog post title you highlight above already clarifies your answer.

• jann
    jann
    Community Member

I am so ticked off at this. The blog states:

Why don’t you update 1Password 3 for iOS?
    The short answer is: we’d like to, but we can’t. When we launched 1Password 4 for iOS last year, we removed our three previous versions of 1Password 3 for iOS from the App Store to avoid confusion. Apps removed from sale can no longer be updated.

The problem with this? It is not true. Apps removed from sale can temporarily be brought back up. All iOS devs know that "removing apps" is not removing them. It is simply deactivating the app by clicking "Deselect All" (in iTunesConnect) to deselect all App Store territories. What they mean is that they wished to charge for the universal version and this required them to create an entirely new listing in iTunes. They could've simply updated the iPhone version to be universal, keeping the same App ID for this app -- and life would've gone on -- all users of v3 on iPhone/iPod would've gotten v4 for free. BUT since Apple does not allow you -- as a dev -- to charge for incremental app updates, they chose to create an entirely new app...which they can then charge for.

They could update v3 by updating the older apps then REselecting the app store territories for that app. The update would go out, people would download it and all would be wel. Then, a month later, they could deselect those territories. Instead they chose the moneymaking route of making us pay for an entirely new app! As for confusing people, simply put in the description that this version of the app is an update for current users only. New users should search for 1password4 (or somesuch). Then put version 3's price at -- for instance -- $300 to discourage people from buying the current version. It is a hack I know, but it is a way not to tick off your entire customer base that uses Dropbox to sync their passwords!

I paid a LOT of money for these apps for all my platforms and I feel slighted. I expect more for a company that I choose to save my passwords!

• randot
    randot
    Community Member

Jann, I can see how Dropbox's decision is frustrating, but I don't believe either of the solutions you mention are a realistic improvement.

Updating the existing v3 binary to v4 as a free update isn't sustainable as a business. The iOS v4 upgrade was a major, major, new version, which clearly took a tremendous amount of work. They deserve to be paid for it. What you call "the moneymaking route of making us pay" I call "being able to feed your family." As another small business owner I can sympathize.

And re-releasing an old version back into the app store just for a month at a price of $300? Can you imagine the user confusion? An out of date version at an astronomical price, competing for new buyer's attention would be completely absurd. Aside from that, a month wouldn't be nearly long enough for people who rarely update their apps. And that's assuming Agile took the (presumably significant) time to update the long-since obsolete version in the first place. I'd much rather they use that time to finish up the new Mac version.

We all paid roughly the same amount of money for the apps, and got several years use out of them. I bought v4 the day it came out, but if I were to do it today with their current sale price, it would cost me less than 1/20th my monthly cell phone bill. So I don't think it's "a LOT" to pay for several more years of use.

• coachdriver
    coachdriver
    Community Member

The bit I have an issue with is "Why don’t you update 1Password 3 for iOS? The short answer is: we’d like to, but we can’t."

It's the can't.

That's not true, they choose not to.

I have an original iPad so cannot upgrade the OS, so now will be left without Dropbox syncing. They could add the updated syncing to the old version of 1Password. But they choose not to.

The short answer should be "We can"

• randot
    randot
    Community Member

With an original iPad it's definitely frustrating—my dad's in the same boat. But part of using older hardware is that eventually the software moves on. My 1st gen Mac Pro can't run Mountain Lion, so I won't be able to use the Mac version of 1P v4 when it comes out.

But I still think it's fair to say they "can't" realistically do it. Is it within the realm of physical possibility? Of course. But then they also "can" drive to your house and wash your dishes for you. There are reasonable limits to what they can do for older users, and factoring in the app store's own limitations, I think it's an appropriate place to draw the line.

• GerTeunis
    GerTeunis
    Community Member
    edited August 2013

To be clear, they CAN update a app pulled from sale. They just need to upload a new version of 3 and make it not available on all territories.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/10_ManagingYourApplications/ManagingYourApplications.html

They need to be honest, they want to drop 3 and make all users pay again. They are happy Dropbox support dropped.

More details how updating a pulled app works in last comment here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12918284/can-we-prevent-users-from-updating-the-app-with-a-new-version-from-appstore

So please don't tell me they can't. They can without new users noticing it.

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member

I love the apps, they've helped me develop a secure password strategy, and saved me plenty of time in the process.
    However, as the owner of an 1st-Gen iPad, I'm feeling boxed in. I'm losing Dropbox sync. A Dropbox issue? O.K., no problem. But I also won't be able to upgrade to the Mac Version 4, or I'll lose Wi-Fi sync. That's an AgileBits decision. And that's actually going to keep me from the upgrade.

Unless I'm missing something? Or do I have the scenario down properly?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2013

@jann, @GerTeunis, and @coachdriver, we don't want your money if you aren't happy. If neither sticking with v3 and using Wi-Fi syncing nor paying for the upgrade to support continued development of 1Password are making you happy, please email us so we can help make things right.

Thanks for your kind words and support, @randot.

@Jeffois, I am delighted to know that 1Password has helped you become more secure and more productive! your assessment of the situation, is correct, though. Wi-Fi syncing will only work between v3 on iOS and Mac. If you upgrade either to v4 Wi-Fi syncing will no longer be an option. I can't discuss future plans, but there may very well be another option for you in 1Password 4 for Mac. It hasn't been released yet, so it is a bit too early to be discussing it as though it is feature complete. We are very much aware of this edge case that the change introduced by Dropbox has created, and we are taking it into consideration as we move forward. For now, all current versions of 1Password sync via Dropbox on all platforms and Wi-Fi syncing works with v3 on iOS and the current version on Mac.

If there is anything else I can help with please let me know. We can't help with any financial matters on the forum, though, so please do keep that in mind. We are always available via email for that sort of thing. :)

Thanks!

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member

@khad, Thanks for the quick reply. I suppose for now I just have to sit tight. I understand that you can't discuss what you can't discuss, so I'll wait to see what options are there. I hope that the implication that there is likely a solution for my situation proves to come to fruition in the final version of v.4.

Thanks again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Jeffois, I wish I could say more, but we do greatly appreciate your patience.

Please do let me know if there is anything else I can help with in the meantime.

• erictummers
    erictummers
    Community Member

Sorry to hear about the dropbox legacy API stopping. This would happen some day.
    Since I already bought a licence for Windows (already had mac version) there is no urgent need for me to update the IOS version. I only use it to store and lookup passwords when I'm not on my own machines. Maybe I just do it to be safe, $7 is peanuts compared to what software used to cost back in the day ;)

• Roarster
    Roarster
    Community Member

So say I do pay my money again and upgrade to version 4, what's to stop you guys making version 5 another paid upgrade and leaving me stuck on another legacy platform? I'm really disappointed with the way this has happened and, when also considering the glacial rate of upgrades to the Windows version, think I'll probably have to move to another vendor,

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your support, @erictummers, even if you don't end up upgrading. :)

@inaki, @roarster, I can't foresee the future, but there has only been one paid upgrade on iOS in 1Password's entire 7 year history as an app. I think we have a pretty good track record here. We released hundreds of free updates to v1, v2, and v3 for many years. v3 was pulled from the App Store over half a year ago. Unfortunately, Dropbox just decided to make this change. We wanted to give everything away for free forever, but it turns out that isn’t a sustainable business model. If you’re happy with v3, you’re not required to purchase. It is up to us to demonstrate the value.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

• umijin
    umijin
    Community Member

Hey, you know you could solve this problem for iOS users stuck in iOS 5 by doing the right thing, and making v4 compatible with iOS5. Actually, you should have done this in the first place. Why you didn't baffles me.

And I don't blame you for DropBox's decision to cut the API. I blame you for requiring iOS 6 for your latest version of 1PassWord!

I have no problem purchasing the upgrade - and did for use on my iPhone 5. Your app is very good, and I don't feel sorry for the whiners that don't want to pay the upgrade fee. But my original iPad is not iOS upgradeable past iOS5. And I've been a loyal 1PassWord customer since your Mac version's inception. So, this irks me considerably. The WiFi synch option really doesn't cut it for me.

So - to sum it up, make your current app compatible with iOS5 or expect more complaints from loyal, long term customers!

• woodenbrain
    woodenbrain
    Community Member

I'll pipe in here just to echo the above a bit. I have bought version 4 and it works fine on my iPhone 5 running iOS 6. But I have other iOS devices that I use for other purposes, an unlocked one used for traveling abroad, etc., where upgrading to iOS 6 is not viable or possible. It's going to be an issue next time I need to use one of these, if 1Password 4 can't be made to work on iOS 4 or 5 or previous versions can't be updated to work with dropbox again.

• KevSully
    KevSully
    Community Member
    edited August 2013

So 3 quesitons I have.

1. If I upgrade on my iPad3 to the new version, at the new special offer price, I can continue to synch with Dropbox...yes
    2. Do I have to change or upgrade my WIndows version (1.09.333) which syncs to the same Dropbox files. i.e. same data source ?
    3. Is there no option of Ipad1 (which my wife uses) to sync with Dropbox ?
  • KevSully
    KevSully
    Community Member

AND... how do you uninstall 1P3 from Ipad after an 1P4 upgrade ?
    It states it will delete all data ? Does this mean it will delete Dropbox data ? I am tech savvy but this is a very misleading message.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hey, you know you could solve this problem for iOS users stuck in iOS 5 by doing the right thing, and making v4 compatible with iOS5. Actually, you should have done this in the first place. Why you didn't baffles me.

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple, @umijin. There are iCloud API improvements in iOS 6 and also the new UICollectionView and UIActivityView classes that 1Password 4 is using.

The truth is that it was expected that existing Dropbox sync users would be grandfathered in as they were previously:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/03/09/dropbox-update-and-1password/

Two weeks ago that was revoked. Making the fix before the change actually happens is not feasible, and the complications of having an old and unsupported version released temporarily on the App Store are very large.

If I upgrade on my iPad3 to the new version, at the new special offer price, I can continue to synch with Dropbox...yes

Yep. That's correct, @KevSully. :)

Do I have to change or upgrade my WIndows version (1.09.333) which syncs to the same Dropbox files. i.e. same data source ?

Nope. The only version affected is the old v3 for iOS which was discontinued over half a year ago. No other version of 1Password on any platform is affected. There is nothing else that you need to update.

Is there no option of Ipad1 (which my wife uses) to sync with Dropbox ?

Not after September 1. But please email us: support@ agilebits .com We have ways of helping. :)

AND... how do you uninstall 1P3 from Ipad after an 1P4 upgrade ? It states it will delete all data ? Does this mean it will delete Dropbox data ? I am tech savvy but this is a very misleading message.

You're right. It is confusing. I wish we had a way to change that message. From the FAQ:

"When you delete 1Password 3, you’ll see a message indicating that deleting the app will also delete all of its data. This is only deleting the data stored in version 3 and will not affect 1Password 4’s data, nor will it affect any data being synced via iCloud and/or Dropbox."

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member

So, now that 1Password 4 for Mac is out, I feel I can ask---is there something in there that helps with my situation?

• Jeffois
    Jeffois
    Community Member

And just as a reminder----a few posts up, I described my situation-----Mac OS 10.8.4, currently running 1Password 3 for Mac, running version 3 on the iPad, with no option to upgrade the app there, and now no ability to sync. It was broadly hinted that there was a solution in the works within the desktop version. Has this happened?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The options remain the same. 1Password 4 for Mac does not affect this issue since only 1Password 4 for iOS can sync with 1Password 4 for Mac.

This discussion has been closed.