Safari Extension not working anymore since migrating from beta to MAS release

Mr. Albert
Mr. Albert
Community Member

Hello,

Safari extension does not work anymore since migrating from 1 password 4 beta to the MAS release (which migration was a pain btw - a step by step explanation would have been welcome indeed. And still no working import function of 1password back-ups? Really? I had to create a new vault, the app would repeatedly refuse to save even after creating a bogus entry, I had to look for the appropriate folder to manually place the backup into, relaunch the app fingers crossed… I lost a good 10 minutes wondering how I did manage to do it the last time - the response being by tinkering here and there while worrying sick that my backups get corrupts somehow, as opposed to using the restore menu and it just works. How come the restore menu does not restore anything when installing fresh? Isn't it, like, its purpose? And it's not a MAS problem, it was the same with the beta).

To come back to the Safari Extension, when invoked, I only get a transparent field which background says "(null) Vault". When typing in my master password to see where it gets me, I get a red error message saying "There is no vault. Please open 1password app." (1password being already up and running). Of course I have de-installed, re-installed said extension. There has also been reboot, maintenance routines, relaunch of 1password mini to no avail. My guess is the migration between the beta and the MAS version screwed things up.

Please advise! Thank you.

Comments

• Hi Mr. Albert,

Safari extension does not work anymore since migrating from 1 password 4 beta to the MAS release (which migration was a pain btw - a step by step explanation would have been welcome indeed.

The betas and the MAS versions are two separate apps that do work differently, which is why you can't just switch over to the MAS version.

I'll notify the beta team about this. We'll test and write down the docs on how to switch over properly.

no working import function of 1password back-ups

Import never dealt with backups, you have to use the 1Password Menu > Restore instead. Import is for your export files only.

How come the restore menu does not restore anything when installing fresh? Isn't it, like, its purpose? And it's not a MAS problem, it was the same with the beta).

It should be, we haven't seen anybody reported issues with it. We'll take a look and see what's going on.

To come back to the Safari Extension, when invoked, I only get a transparent field which background says "(null) Vault".

It is likely it might be looking at the beta's files and not the MAS file, thus the null vault.

For now, please email us your diagnostic report and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks!

• Mr. Albert
    Mr. Albert
    Community Member

Thank you for your response.

The betas and the MAS versions are two separate apps that do work differently, which is why you can't just switch over to the MAS version.

I'll notify the beta team about this. We'll test and write down the docs on how to switch over properly.

That would be helpful indeed, if a bit late maybe. I didn't get any warning when the beta started, neither during the testing nor at the end of it.

"no working import function of 1password back-ups"

Import never dealt with backups, you have to use the 1Password Menu > Restore instead. Import is for your export files only.

That's what I meant of course, as per my next comment:

"How come the restore menu does not restore anything when installing fresh? Isn't it, like, its purpose? And it's not a MAS problem, it was the same with the beta)"

It should be, we haven't seen anybody reported issues with it. We'll take a look and see what's going on.

It has never worked here. Always a drag, having to fiddle around files and whatnot until it works again.

"To come back to the Safari Extension, when invoked, I only get a transparent field which background says "(null) Vault" "

It is likely it might be looking at the beta's files and not the MAS file, thus the null vault.

For now, please email us your diagnostic report and we'll see what we can do.

I see. Diagnostic report sent with a link to this thread. Thank you for your time and help, I hope this can be resolved and I'd appreciate a follow-up about a correct installation routine, in the event something went wrong that could come back and bite me in the rear in the future (cue horror story where I lose datas).

• You're welcome. We hope to have something up within 24-48 hours or sooner than that even.

• Mr. Albert
    Mr. Albert
    Community Member

I was just about to contact you again! The problem disappeared overnight, the Safari extension appears to function normally now.
    Would you need another diagnostic report in case anything pops up that is different from last time and makes sense to you?
    FWIW, MacBookPro was shut off and unplugged overnight.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member

"The betas and the MAS versions are two separate apps that do work differently, which is why you can't just switch over to the MAS version.

I'll notify the beta team about this. We'll test and write down the docs on how to switch over properly."

Too late for me too. I downloaded the MAS version, pointed it at my Dropbox file, deleted the beta app and extensions, installed new extensions. It all seems to be working OK.

There must be hundreds like me since the warning not to do this came after the release in MAS.

What should I do now? uninstall the MAS and go back to the beta?

• Hi guys,

@Albert, that's super great news. If anything changes, please let us know. For now, you don't have to do anything except to have fun with 1Password 4. :)

@mikebore, If it works great, than you don't have to do anything. The issue is with running two different 1Password minis, if you had mini set to not run all the time, you won't have the issue. Can you open the Activity Monitor.app from your Applications > Utilities folder and confirm there's only one 1Password mini running? If yes, you're all set!

• Mr. Albert
    Mr. Albert
    Community Member

that's super great news. If anything changes, please let us know. For now, you don't have to do anything except to have fun with 1Password 4.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye for when the docs are out regarding proper transition towards MAS version.

• Hi Albert, it already is here. You don't have to do anything for now.

• Mr. Albert
    Mr. Albert
    Community Member

Dully noted, thanks for taking the time :-)

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.