Email Accounts not converted correctly to v4

Options
m_w
m_w
Community Member

I downloaded the long-await 1Password 4 today and it has some great new features :-)

Unfortunately, I have found an issue. Before the update I had 6 items of type Email Account but in v4 only 1 item shows up in the Email Accounts category. The other 5 email accounts are now showing as Login items.

Cheers
Michael

Comments

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Here is an example of a record that clearly is an email account but now is treated as a login item:

For some reason it now features a section of username and password which wasn't there before.

• Hi Michael,

Do you recall creating most of those email items back when 1Password 3.0 was originally released in 2009? If yes, that's the reason, it was saved with a much older email template that isn't converted to the newer one, but rather as a Login item instead.

It's a bug but I'm not sure when it'll be fixed. For now, you'll have to recreate those items to save them as Email items.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi m w,

I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password 4 so far, but I'm sorry that you've had a bit of trouble with your email account entries. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to re-organize items into different categories right now. We hope to make easy category switching a thing in the future ... but for now the best thing to do is just re-create a new entry in the appropriate category. I do apologize for the inconvenience though.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MikeT - that makes sense; the "wrong" items are indeed accounts I've had for many years whereas the one that was correctly converted is a new one from last year.

So I'll have to recreate them...

That brings me to a feature request I made some time but still hasn't been implemented. It wold be good if you could have 2 records open at the same time. This would make it much easier to compare records and help if you have to recreate a record.

Cheers
    Michael

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Here's a similar request, m w:

Feature Request: view multiple items at once

It's a possibility, as @MikeT's reply there suggests.

• Hi Michael,

For now, what you can do is anchor the Login details via 1Password mini (hover over the right side of the item to view its details and then click the anchor button).

Comparing two items at the same time has been requested and filed in our tracker, we'll see what we can do. For now, the anchor feature should make it a bit easier.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks both :-)

sjk - here is my feature request for multiple windows from JAN 2011: discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/3198/multiple-windows#latest

MikeT - unfortunately, those "wrong" items don't show up in the mini; even searching for them doesn't show them; I can only see them in the main app window; good tip though but in this instance it does't help.

• Hi Michael,

That's likely because the Login item's display setting is set not to show up in mini. Edit the item and change its Display setting to Always.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Brilliant - that works :-)

• I'm glad to hear that, thanks for the update!

• dreinmund
    dreinmund
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

How about just giving us the option of dragging & dropping old Email entries from "Login" to "Email".

I can't actually believe that I even have to suggest this "feature". This would be such a standard implementation of categories in any modern app.

I have been a long time 1PW user. Do you really expect me to re-create dozens of Email accounts, and dozens of WiFi / Router accounts just because I can't manually assign a different category ? I'm a bit speechless right now :-(

• Hi @dreinmund,

Converting items between categories has been requested a lot, it's not as easy as it sounds but it's in our tracker and we'll see what we can do in the future.

• dreinmund
    dreinmund
    Community Member
    Options

I can understand that conversion of the actual fields into new (more meaningful or relevant) fields is not easy. But why not allow manual drag & drop to the "Email" category", basically in the same manner a folder would work. That's really what people think this is, a "Email" folder.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @dreinmund.

Where would you expect fields in Login items to be in newly-created items after a drag/drop of those Login items to the other categories? For now maybe you could use tags and smart folders for identifying and pseudo-categorizing Login items that are candidates for "conversion" to other categories? Or maybe you've already added those items to regular folders?

Sorry I don't have a better solution for you at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.